COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

I enjoyed this from Joe Rogan and his guest. Coronavirus should act as a wake up call, teach people to be humble and grateful.

People who abused their bodies by smoking are more at risk of dying from Covid, is that nature's way of telling us something?

Doesn't matter how much you have in your bank, it ain't saving you from Covid, spend it and have a good time. Lot of people used to look down on people for the jobs they did, 'I wouldn't work for less than 100 a day'.

Plenty of those folks are ringing up for govt support, maybe it will teach them to be humble. Doubt it though.

3 hours ago, Painter said:

Interestingly, at the end of January I had a fever, headache and occssional dry cough, whilst in patts. Lasted about 5 days. I had even less energy than usual, so just hung around the condo, doing nothing. Wonder if that was an early version of the virus,  before anyone really knew much about it...??

Maybe we should have a "what are your symptoms?" thread....

Sometimes it's a lack of symptoms that's interesting.

A few years ago,  I had a major blood work-up not connected with an infectious disease.  When the doctor was going over the results with me,  he mentioned I had antibodies against the swine flu.  I said that was odd as I'd never had the swine flu.  He responded that many people had gotten the swine flu in 2009 but showed no or very mild symptoms.  They didn't go to the doctor but just self-medicated with over-the-counter stuff  in the belief they had at worst an ordinary cold.  I must have been one of them, he said.

I recall reading that antibodies against the swine flu can also protect you from other types of flu for a long time.  I hope, hope, hope that holds true with COVID-19.

Evil

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Painter said:

That's a useful page to have.... thanks

Looks like I've got a cold!

Interestingly, at the end of January I had a fever, headache and occssional dry cough, whilst in patts. Lasted about 5 days. I had even less energy than usual, so just hung around the condo, doing nothing. Wonder if that was an early version of the virus,  before anyone really knew much about it...??

Maybe we should have a "what are your symptoms?" thread....

Hope all those with ailments recover soon.

Yes I remember that...you were going to come to Hua Hin with Boydeste and me until you got struck down....scary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Starshine said:

Yes I remember that...you were going to come to Hua Hin with Boydeste and me until you got struck down....scary.

Jaysus I feel protected now ............ been with you two auld feckers all over the place Swine Flu / Sars / Ebola / no chance.

The bogs of Mayo will kill any virus ............ :default_drinks:

8500 up in Spain today ......... stay safe lads !!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

7 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Jaysus I feel protected now ............ been with you two auld feckers all over the place Swine Flu / Sars / Ebola / no chance.

The bogs of Mayo will kill any virus ............ :default_drinks:

8500 up in Spain today ......... stay safe lads !!!

Ireland in total lockdown from midnight tonight...all offshore Islands closed...only residents...the beaches were rammed last weekend  with tourists...an elderly population here...totally relived as Mum and Dad both in their 90s

Edited by Starshine
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Starshine said:

Ireland in total lockdown from midnight tonight...all offshore Islands closed...only residents...the beaches were rammed at the weekend with tourists...an elderly population here...totally relived as Mum and Dad both in their 90s

Buried both me old Paddy parents already I......... very painful but great generation. 

Irish are resilient feckers and used to hard times ........ stay strong mate !!!

S ....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Apparently tests will be rolled out for NHS staff next week.

Gonna seriously push through work to get tested. Going mental already.

Get tested and if have had it already, no symptoms or  whatever, then can push my Manager to be let out and about again.

Edit - As long as the tests don't come from China 😬  Or maybe wait a little longer to make sure I'm not contagious or can catch it again. Ah f**k it, there's just currently so many unknowns ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1

Capturezzz.JPG.e6986b79b939ae440ba4c11d16a228e1.JPG

Trump invokes Defense Production Act to manufacture ventilators
MARCH 27, 202001:08
March 27, 2020, 4:43 PM EDT / Updated March 27, 2020, 5:21 PM EDT
By Dartunorro Clark

President Donald Trump invoked the rarely used Defense Production Act on Friday to order the Department of Health and Human Services to compel General Motors to manufacturer ventilators hours after he sharply criticized the company for slow-walking production.

"Our negotiations with GM regarding its ability to supply ventilators have been productive, but our fight against the virus is too urgent to allow the give-and-take of the contracting process to continue to run its normal course," Trump said in a statement. "GM was wasting time. Today’s action will help ensure the quick production of ventilators that will save American lives."

(READ MORE)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen this story posed on the board.  Here's a key sentence, buried quite deep:  "According to a company newsletter, the Greenland Group sourced 3 million protective masks, 700,000 hazmat suits and 500,000 pairs of protective gloves from 'Australia, Canada, Turkey and other countries.'"

1751704863_SydneyMorningHerald.JPG.1086a

• EXCLUSIVE

Chinese-backed company's mission to source Australian medical supplies

As the coronavirus took hold in Wuhan earlier this year, staff from the Chinese government-backed global property giant Greenland Group were instructed to put their normal work on hold and source bulk supplies of essential medical items to ship back to China.

A whistleblower from the company has told the Herald it was a worldwide Greenland effort - and the Sydney office was no different, sourcing bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and Panadol for shipping.

The company even posted its efforts of packing pallets in the company’s Sydney headquarters on social media.

China.JPG

Chinese property developing group Greenland scoured Australia to purchase bulk medical supplies - including masks, gloves and thermometers - which were flown to China.

"There were numerous requests from the HR manager and even our direct reporting line [which] prioritised the assisting of the company in gathering these supplies over other work activities," said the source. The entire accounts department were absent for days as they were out purchasing supplies, he said.

In a statement to the Herald, the Greenland Group confirmed the shipment of medical supplies in January and February saying it "felt compelled ... to assist in efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus, which had caused a shortage of crucial medical supplies in China."

Greenland Australia supported the group's initiative "by arranging for medical supplies to be dispatched to China, which at that time, was the epicentre of the outbreak," the statement said.

The boardroom and meeting rooms of Greenland’s headquarters in Market Street were used to repack the medical items into boxes stamped with the company’s logo. Pallet-loads of the medical supplies were then sent to China.

Sherwood Luo, the managing director of Greenland Australia, posted photographs of this occurring on social media.

For instance on February 13 he posted on WeChat "#CombatCoronavirus, Greenland Australia is Taking Action. The second batch of non-contact forehead thermometers will soon take off to China! Coronavirus situation is serious, Chinese people, local and overseas, are trying their best, fighting together to combat the virus."

At this time China was battling the COVID-19 epidemic. As of February 14 Australia had only 15 known cases. It now has more than 2,300.

According to a company newsletter, the Greenland Group sourced 3 million protective masks, 700,000 hazmat suits and 500,000 pairs of protective gloves from "Australia, Canada, Turkey and other countries.

(LINK)

It would be ironic if China is now selling these supplies to Spain:

Capturek.JPG   12:22 p.m. ET, March 25, 2020

Spain buys $467 million in medical supplies from China

From CNN's Mia Alberti in Lisbon and Ingrid Formanek and Al Goodman in Madrid

Spain has bought $467 million worth of medical supplies from China, the Spanish health minister said on Wednesday. 

Health Minister Salvador Illa said Spain's President "talked over the phone with China's President a few days ago, and since then the whole government has been working together to sign this contract and make this buy."

(READ MORE)

Edited by Evil Penevil

8 hours ago, fygjam said:

Stories like this are pointless unless they spell out what testing was being performed.

To the best of my knowledge there are three types of test (virology 101).

A PCR or RT-PCR which tests for viral RNA or DNA. In this case it's performed on nasal, throat or lung swabs. It can tell if you are infected or have been infected. Viral residue can be detected for days or weeks after the infection has cleared.

An antibody test, the so called "stick finger" test (I'm waiting for some journo to swap an "n" for the "c"). This tells if a person has been exposed to the virus but doesn't indicate if the person is still infected and may test positive months or possibly years after infection. It can also take days after infection before it becomes positive.

A plaque forming unit (PFU) or plaque forming assay. Material from nasal, throat or lung swabs is used to try and infect cell cultures (plaques). Different dilutions of the material are used to estimate the viral load. This test is the only one which tests if infectious viral particles are present. And of course, it's time consuming to get a result.

20181213195945_1522.jpg

A PFU test for Zika virus. The white indicates infected cells so at the left, lots of infection. As the dilution increases the infections become less to the point where they can be counted and the viral load determined.

unless i mis read it, they werent infected again and had symptoms, they were found to be carrying the virus and able to pass it on but asymtomatic

11 minutes ago, Krapow said:

It's something I was thinking about, who's making the most money outta all this, as undoubtedly there is money being made!

Apart from the stock markets ...

Makers of bog roll, soap, Dettol. hand sanitisers ................ and go on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try and find an egg in London.

........ and of course Goldman Sachs the 21st century Rothschilds ........ 

I have to be honest.I could easily do 6 months of this.

All of my commercial tenants are open,and paying rent.

My gym is closed,but I get to work out there with no fucker around.Its a fun thing Anyways,don’t make my living from it.

been hard in my garden,things are coming along nicely.
don't have to talk to anyone.No one on the road,I can text and drive,no problems.

If this shit last till September,but we can play golf....well,things are ok.Just being honest.

this is a 6oz,two bottle Gin and tonic in my work out cup.

now I know people are gunna be “ohhhhh fucking hell,ya fucking fucking”,well,I’m just tellin ya.

if this is the reset button,then things are not as bad as it should be.

34EF2943-47EE-4D4D-BB0D-39E4C8DE7ED9.jpeg

8F7BA3CF-8853-4DCF-9B75-1B7418BF1211.jpeg

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Starshine said:

Ireland in total lockdown from midnight tonight...all offshore Islands closed...only residents...the beaches were rammed last weekend  with tourists...an elderly population here...totally relived as Mum and Dad both in their 90s

Very best wishes to you and yours mate

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Sometimes it's a lack of symptoms that's interesting.

A few years ago,  I had a major blood work-up not connected with an infectious disease.  When the doctor was going over the results with me,  he mentioned I had antibodies against the swine flu.  I said that was odd as I'd never had the swine flu.  He responded that many people had gotten the swine flu in 2009 but showed no or very mild symptoms.  They didn't go to the doctor but just self-medicated with over-the-counter stuff  in the belief they had at worst an ordinary cold.  I must have been one of them, he said.

I recall reading that antibodies against the swine flu can also protect you from other types of flu for a long time.  I hope, hope, hope that holds true with COVID-19.

Evil

fraid not mate ... corona virus is  a completely different class of virus from any flu,swine or otherwise

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2020 at 5:52 AM, Krapow said:

Apparently tests will be rolled out for NHS staff next week.

Gonna seriously push through work to get tested. Going mental already.

Get tested and if have had it already, no symptoms or  whatever, then can push my Manager to be let out and about again.

Edit - As long as the tests don't come from China 😬  Or maybe wait a little longer to make sure I'm not contagious or can catch it again. Ah f**k it, there's just currently so many unknowns ...

Edited by fforest
  • Haha 1