COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

Britons stuck in Asia with mounting costs

Nick Cross and his partner are among thousands of Britons stuck in Asia, unable to board flights home.

Shortly after their arrival in Cambodia in mid-March, Thailand imposed new restrictions on foreigners, meaning they'd need a medical certificate to be allowed in to the country.

They went to a doctor to get the certificate, and then headed to Phnom Penh to try to connect with their flight home from Bangkok.

But Nick says two of the flights they booked to Bangkok were cancelled. They were then denied boarding on a third because airline officials said their certificates did not show a negative Covid-19 test.

He is now helping organise more than 260 British people trapped in Cambodia, lobbying the UK embassy to find a way out for them.

The embassy is telling them to take whatever commercial options they can. But Nick says they are now short of funds, after booking four flights which were cancelled and getting no refunds yet, worth around £5,000 ($6,150).

Unless he can be sure he won’t lose it on yet another cancelled flight, Nick said he wants to preserve what funds he has left to survive if they get stuck for many weeks. He says there are other British travellers with health conditions who are very low on funds and in urgent need of assistance.

British diplomats in the region say they are exploring every possible option to get stranded UK travellers home, and are lobbying the airlines to lay on extra flights, at a reasonable cost. There are thought to be around 2-3,000 in Thailand, around 70 left in Laos, and a few hundred in the Philippines.

Not sure this story is telling the whole truth.

Long but interesting story below of a UK National who organised a flight out of PP on the 27th March- which Nick could have been on.

Shocking how the British Embassy refused to see him and other stranded passengers, and didn't encourage people to get on the flight. One of the other twists was he struggled to get enough people on the flight to make it viable

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50710285/exclusive-interview-the-man-who-got-103-stranded-uk-tourists-home-with-no-help-from-the-embassy/

• Great Info 1

12 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Long but interesting story below of a UK National who organised a flight out of PP on the 27th March- which Nick could have been on.

Shocking how the British Embassy refused to see him and other stranded passengers, and didn't encourage people to get on the flight. One of the other twists was he struggled to get enough people on the flight to make it viable

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50710285/exclusive-interview-the-man-who-got-103-stranded-uk-tourists-home-with-no-help-from-the-embassy/

Wow what an article. This quote says it all:

“My feeling is that this is a crisis. In London….they are changing the way they are doing things. Our Embassy has carried on with their standard operating procedure – the same manual. They need to tear that manual up and do things differently.'

103 people for a six figure sum it also says so £11,000 minimum each for a one way flight. No wonder Malaysian airlines helped out.

Well done Mr Jerry Lee Lewis and boo to madam ambassador. Effing useless public school blah blah rant rant .......

Is anyone surprised by our useless Embassy staff ??? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

“My feeling is that this is a crisis. In London….they are changing the way they are doing things. Our Embassy has carried on with their standard operating procedure – the same manual. They need to tear that manual up and do things differently.'

103 people for a six figure sum it also says so £11,000 minimum each for a one way flight. No wonder Malaysian airlines helped out.

Well done Mr Jerry Lee Lewis and boo to madam ambassador. Effing useless public school blah blah rant rant .......

You must excuse my cynicism but this is the account of one person, Jerry Lewis.  Nothing at all appears to have either been questioned or is corroborated by other information.

When the Emirates flight was cancelled, I would have thought that the obvious course of action taken by a ticket holder would be to contact Emirates and see what they had planned for re scheduling.  This does not appear to have been done.

The concept of an individial in effect starting the process of chartering an aircraft and then expecting the Embassy (which is funded by UK tax payers) to take it over is in my opinion an unreasonable course of action.

I for one am not suprised that staff at the Embassy followed their operating procedures.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Raab lying earlier ... was asked several times about the PMs health and his ability to lead at the moment 

Yes, I saw Raab talking on the telly but he seemed happy with Johnson’s state of health. Everyone from the government stuck to the line that he was in for tests. Seems sometimes the illness show signs of clearing up, then wham, you go downhill fast.
Although it seems that  the BBC don’t know, or aren’t releasing any medical information at the moment. 🤔

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

I lifted it from the BBC live Coronavirus daily thread, word for word.

Though a few media outlets have been reporting about people 'stuck' here there and everywhere. 

I haven't a lot of sympathy for anyone who still went quite recently when it was known how serious this could potentially be.

Though not saying 'Nick' was like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Yes, I saw Raab talking on the telly but he seemed happy with Johnson’s state of health. Everyone from the government stuck to the line that he was in for tests. Seems sometimes the illness show signs of clearing up, then wham, you go downhill fast.
Although it seems that  the BBC don’t know, or aren’t releasing any medical information at the moment. 🤔

Aye, seems it can hit you hard pretty quick, healthy or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Aye, seems it can hit you hard pretty quick, healthy or not.

OK, he was carrying a bit of extra weight, but he was a regular jogger and kept as fit as most people his age I would imagine. 
Certainly a lot fitter than me. ☹️
I wish him well, certainly don’t fancy Raab as PM, he’s too much of an automaton. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

Britons stuck in Asia with mounting costs

Nick Cross and his partner are among thousands of Britons stuck in Asia, unable to board flights home.

Shortly after their arrival in Cambodia in mid-March, Thailand imposed new restrictions on foreigners, meaning they'd need a medical certificate to be allowed in to the country.

They went to a doctor to get the certificate, and then headed to Phnom Penh to try to connect with their flight home from Bangkok.

But Nick says two of the flights they booked to Bangkok were cancelled. They were then denied boarding on a third because airline officials said their certificates did not show a negative Covid-19 test.

He is now helping organise more than 260 British people trapped in Cambodia, lobbying the UK embassy to find a way out for them.

The embassy is telling them to take whatever commercial options they can. But Nick says they are now short of funds, after booking four flights which were cancelled and getting no refunds yet, worth around £5,000 ($6,150).

Unless he can be sure he won’t lose it on yet another cancelled flight, Nick said he wants to preserve what funds he has left to survive if they get stuck for many weeks. He says there are other British travellers with health conditions who are very low on funds and in urgent need of assistance.

British diplomats in the region say they are exploring every possible option to get stranded UK travellers home, and are lobbying the airlines to lay on extra flights, at a reasonable cost. There are thought to be around 2-3,000 in Thailand, around 70 left in Laos, and a few hundred in the Philippines.

why did the fool travel to Cambodia in mid march,the virus was well advanced by then,he deserves all he is getting now,

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, john luke said:

You must excuse my cynicism but this is the account of one person, Jerry Lewis.  Nothing at all appears to have either been questioned or is corroborated by other information.

When the Emirates flight was cancelled, I would have thought that the obvious course of action taken by a ticket holder would be to contact Emirates and see what they had planned for re scheduling.  This does not appear to have been done.

The concept of an individial in effect starting the process of chartering an aircraft and then expecting the Embassy (which is funded by UK tax payers) to take it over is in my opinion an unreasonable course of action.

I for one am not suprised that staff at the Embassy followed their operating procedures.

Quick look on Google, a young couple from Hackney who were on the flight.

https://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2020/04/stranded-hackney-couple-rescued-from-cambodia-on-charter-flight/

This story may have  just got lost in all the events going on, don't think Cambodia news is going to get much attention in a very crowded newspace. 

I agree we don't have the embassies side of the story to know. But looking at the couple these aren't some pair of backpacking kids, a couple of teachers, looking at their photo in their 40's or early 50s.

I thought is was a fair enough story to post.

By the standard of some of the crackpot posts on here, it Pulitzer Prize stuff

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

image_bigger.jpg

I’m told on good authority that after circa 10 days this virus either gives up and you recover with no damage done or it really decides to go for you and you have a 50:50 chance. The PM’s decision to work through his isolation will not have helped. Nor loneliness in Downing St.

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Love or hate the man, he is the elected leader of the UK, and given the circumstances, probably the most important person in the UK at this time and arguably perhaps anytime post WW2.

Him being in ICU is big, big news. 

Have to say I have a bad feeling here, hope to God i'm wrong, c'mon Boris, fight this fucker and get well again. 

+1

We need him to pull through this for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Love or hate the man, he is the elected leader of the UK, and given the circumstances, probably the most important person in the UK at this time and arguably perhaps anytime post WW2.

Him being in ICU is big, big news. 

Have to say I have a bad feeling here, hope to God i'm wrong, c'mon Boris, fight this fucker and get well again. 

Obesity is a significant risk factor. Hopefully he pulls through. It will be a huge blow to the morale of the country if he dies from this.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

If this is correct I think Thailand will be roughly 1-2 weeks behind the UK. 

spot on,  3 wks actually.  Pattaya will be locked down withn 24-47 hrs,   curfew will be extended soon too.

4 hours ago, nampla69 said:

far from SOP, the UK embassies have done their best everywhere.  many are working from home, they had a full vocid designed program that works and when the immig wanted a letter for visa extension, they were and are issuing them en mass in 48 hrs.  the consular team, who i know well, have busted a gut in the past weeks.  fuck this Little dweeb, he was too lazy to fly back when it was obvious he needed to.  anyway he is safer here per headcount than the UK right now.

• Like 1

Did anybody see the BBCs news report from inside St. Thomas' hospital intensive care section in London?

Scary stuff indeed. And that was just watching TV. Those actually working there deserve something akin to the VC IMHO. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Those actually working there deserve something akin to the VC IMHO. 

Those working in there are doing their job, The one they choose, learned and applied for.

Same as firefigthers, military etc.

The word "heroic" is used a bit too generously nowadays.

They deserve respect yes for sure, but a V.C. ? Come on .....

26 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Those working in there are doing their job, The one they choose, learned and applied for.

Same as firefigthers, military etc.

The word "heroic" is used a bit too generously nowadays.

They deserve respect yes for sure, but a V.C. ? Come on .....

Firefighters can see the fire they are asked to fight and those in the military generally know which way the enemy is coming from and in what strength. More evidence is coming out daily on just how this virus spreads from person to person, both by close physical contact and when airborne virus is floating around in the air. 

Several doctors and nurses In full PPE have died from this virus, despite knowing this, more and more retired health professionals are volunteering on the front line, many in the high risk age group. 

I’d say, unless you’re giving your time and risking your life when you don’t have to, then they deserve more than respect, but that’s just my opinion. 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You're incredibly callous, as proven all through this crisis 

The Doctor's and Nurses must be going into work shitting themselves knowing many of their colleagues have caught it and died, nevermind their families, children worried sick about them. We even have some nurses committed suicide. 

But to you it's nothing more than doing their job. 

Headshaking stuff at times ...

Nope. I stand by my point.