COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Agreed, though this forum was doing quite well in keeping it to the 'Political Section' until this Covid started. 

It's a forum destroyer, and the less it's on this forum except in the said section, the better IMO!

Totally agree mate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Agreed, though this forum was doing quite well in keeping it to the 'Political Section' until this Covid started. 

It's a forum destroyer, and the less it's on this forum except in the said section, the better IMO!

As long as politicians are making medical strategy / decisions -- whether it be about fighting the virus or funding everyday health care -- the two are inseparable, are they not?

Personally, I could give a rat's arse about politicians but my life & my family's is at stake due to underlying health conditions.

I will gladly allow any gov'mint to track me or my phone if it helps keep us safe & healthy.

Time to face reality straight on. But, feck it...don't want to ruffle any delicate feathers. Enjoy yer suds...

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Esco said:

I agree you cant take politics out of the COVID discussion, but arguing about the US constitution is a different matter entirely. 

If we could all just stick to COVID and the news surrounding it rather than play judge and jury by thinking we can decide who gets to live or die this topic may get back on track. 

Point well taken. I'm new here & will stick to the format. Guilty as charged. Apologies.

Now about that testing & tracking...what's a palatable method to do this?

In the absence of a vaccine & now with proven asymptomatic transmission, there are many pitfalls to "opening up" world economies.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

So, how does the US stop the body count?

You don't. 

Steering away from the beloved topic of American Constitutional Law for a moment.....  You presume to have a degree of control you actually don't.  Releasing those false presumptions can lead to happiness. 

Accept there's little you can actually do that is effective.  Embrace it, even. 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Krapow said:

No more so than... shrill drama queens.

<example chosen at random>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alias said:

You don't. 

Steering away from the beloved topic of American Constitutional Law for a moment.....  You presume to have a degree of control you actually don't.  Releasing those false presumptions can lead to happiness. 

A bit like the afterlife...

It's there waiting for us all. 

6 minutes ago, alias said:

You don't. 

As there's no vaccine I agree you cannot do anything effective against the virus itself yet, which is why the next best thing would be to try and slow it down I suppose. 

How effective this is remains to be seen of course, and in 50 years people will look back and possibly shake their heads after having dealt with several pandemics since, but this is the 1st proper one in recent history and we're all just guessing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Point well taken. I'm new here & will stick to the format. Guilty as charged. Apologies.

Now about that testing & tracking...what's a palatable method to do this?

In the absence of a vaccine & now with proven asymptomatic transmission, there are many pitfalls to "opening up" world economies.

No need for apologies, I'm just another member.. 

As for mass testing; I'm not sure if its possible and what it would achieve as long as don't have sufficient data on the virus. Ok few will have it, most don't, others will have had it with either no, mild, or heavy symptoms but even if all of this is shown through testing, without a vaccine or medicine you cant effectively treat the sick or those exposed to the virus, and its impossible to monitor people 24/7. 

Now lots of folks in China and Korea are already carrying apps on their phones to track Corona patients, strongly alienating people in the process, whilst "unknown unknowns" without symptoms still roam about the streets freely. I suppose we all like to feel safe, but to me this just creates a false sense of security. 

In that respect I agree with Alias that it's better to accept that even after this near global lockdown the virus may come knocking at some point, if not this version then probably the next, and if you're unlucky it could just have your number.

How's that for an Easter thought.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest even though this lockdown is doing my head in, I would like to see it go on until we beat this virus. Whether this is a couple or a few more months then so be it.

We're surviving and have set up a horse racing group on WhatsApp. We are throwing in a few dollars every Saturday and having a tipping competition. One guy is a knowledgable punter and is sharing his picks around the group so a bit of money has been made by members of the group.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Esco said:

No need for apologies, I'm just another member.. 

As for mass testing; I'm not sure if its possible and what it would achieve as long as don't have sufficient data on the virus. Ok few will have it, most don't, others will have had it with either no, mild, or heavy symptoms but even if all of this is shown through testing, without a vaccine or medicine you cant effectively treat the sick or those exposed to the virus, and its impossible to monitor people 24/7. 

Now lots of folks in China and Korea are already carrying apps on their phones to track Corona patients, strongly alienating people in the process, whilst "unknown unknowns" without symptoms still roam about the streets freely. I suppose we all like to feel safe, but to me this just creates a false sense of security. 

In that respect I agree with Alias that it's better to accept that even after this near global lockdown the virus may come knocking at some point, if not this version then probably the next, and if you're unlucky it could just have your number.

How's that for an Easter thought.. 

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

its most provinces now and will be national by mid week

but this si the non thaio section.  i called my mum, 90, she is so shaky now and is a typical harder irish woman in many ways,.  signed of with, good by my beautiful big boy.. I am in bits,  never in her life said that, shows she is scared

Elderly parents are a worry at the best of times, even more so now during this pandemic. I’m glad in a strange way, that my father passed away of double pneumonia 3 years ago age 107, in a hospital ward where he could have us with him, not like now, alone and stuck in a corridor if he was lucky. 

If he was alive now, nothing would have stopped him from going for his daily walk to the shops 2 miles away, which he was doing up to 3 days before he died. 
He’d have called the Corona virus “stuff and nonsense” and carried on regardless. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Elderly parents are a worry at the best of times, even more so now during this pandemic. I’m glad in a strange way, that my father passed away of double pneumonia 3 years ago age 107, in a hospital ward where he could have us with him, not like now, alone and stuck in a corridor if he was lucky. 

If he was alive now, nothing would have stopped him from going for his daily walk to the shops 2 miles away, which he was doing up to 3 days before he died. 
He’d have called the Corona virus “stuff and nonsense” and carried on regardless. 🤣

I have lost both of my parents in the last couple of years. I too am glad that it has passed and now only have to worry about myself and kids. That is bad enough under the present circumstances.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Esco said:

As there's no vaccine I agree you cannot do anything effective against the virus itself yet, which is why the next best thing would be to try and slow it down I suppose. 

How effective this is remains to be seen of course, and in 50 years people will look back and possibly shake their heads after having dealt with several pandemics since, but this is the 1st proper one in recent history and we're all just guessing.

My guess is people will look back at stuff like this and shake their heads.  We've lost our fookin minds

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, alias said:

My guess is people will look back at stuff like this and shake their heads.  We've lost our fookin minds

I guess thats the best way to answer them. He should also have pointed out that they were not wearing any fooking masks ....

😁😁😁😂😂😂😂

talkin to my mother  yesterday for easter, so sad.  90, frail and alone.  cant go out and no one can go in.  she is well taken care of by sisters who talk thru the window but I can hear in her voice.  a woman, once dominant and strong ( irish) now shaky and scared by all this.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 4

Ok boys, prepare for the next rush on the supermarket !

• The U.S. is "perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," says Smithfield CEO Kenneth Sullivan, earlier today announcing the closing of his company's Sioux Falls processing facility. That facility alone accounts for 4%-5% of U.S. pork production, and Sullivan notes a growing list of closings of other protein producing plants.
  • Sullivan: "It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running."
  • Sullivan also warns of the "disastrous" consequences up the supply chain once plants stop running, i.e. for the nation's livestock farmers. "These farmers have nowhere to send their animals."
  • "We have a stark choice as a nation: we are either going to produce food or not, even in the face of COVID-19," concludes Sullivan.

Although some readers have great ideas, back to the good old days !

"How bout temporarily easing hunting and fishing restrictions, so those with a rifle and a rod can provide food for their families, at least temporarily, easing constraints on our food supply? I call on all governors, oh wait, this is a time of crisis where they can consolidate power..."

😁😁😁🙄🙄🙄🙄

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

talkin to my mother  yesterday for easter, so sad.  90, frail and alone.  cant go out and no one can go in.  she is well taken care of by sisters who talk thru the window but I can hear in her voice.  a woman, once dominant and strong ( irish) now shaky and scared by all this.

My dad's 94 but he's very mobile for his age we do his shopping 

Spoke to him other day and he said ( censored ) I drive to the local park do a couple of laps ( 6 football pitches there ) and drive home most days 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

Was talking to my mother earlier on a well, who was also a take no shite,very strong Irish women, and now is also very scared. 

When talking to her she was constantly coughing, but it always happens this time of year due to hayfever, and always ends up in a chest infection. Last year it took 3 different courses of antibiotics to clear it. 

She's spoke to her Doctor who has told her she needs to be extremely careful, as if she gets the usual chest infection, her body will be trying to fight that already, then Covid, well, it's inevitable what would happen. The Doctor has already prescribed her strong hayfever tablets to take now, and strong antibiotics to take when she knows by past experience she will need them. She's proper scared, and who can blame her. You feel so helpless. 

Then my dad's in a nursing home, so, enough said there if it was brought in. 

This is a bastard of a virus in so many ways. Was watching the Northern Ireland news the other day where they were talking to people who's parents had died. They were saying, people have to understand if family members die from Covid, there is no goodbyes, no last time hugs, kisses, no contact, no family funeral, nothing like that. 

It's just fucking horrific. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 4

the little bastard covid  seems to pick on people of any age and health level.  the lucky and strong survive.  i cant see this being fixed within a year really, as when winter comes back, it too will raise its ugly head.  just reading that Wuhan has new cases now they opened the flood gates.. bet the bats are scared.

1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

the little bastard covid  seems to pick on people of any age and health level.  the lucky and strong survive.  i cant see this being fixed within a year really, as when winter comes back, it too will raise its ugly head.  just reading that Wuhan has new cases now they opened the flood gates.. bet the bats are scared.

So scared they are moving house during daylight hours.

• Sad 1