COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

A good article on why Coronavirus seems to mutate much slower than seasonal flu

It doesn't address the question of deadly mutations, but the summary at the end of the article offers hope on developing a vaccine.

What have we learned about the epidemic?

Based on current data, it seems as though SARS-CoV-2 mutates much more slowly than the seasonal flu. Specifically, SARS-CoV-2 seems to have a mutation rate of less than 25 mutations per year, whereas the seasonal flu has a mutation rate of almost 50 mutations per year.

Given that the SARS-CoV-2 genome is almost twice as large as the seasonal flu genome, it seems as though the seasonal flu mutates roughly four times as fast as SARS-CoV-2. The fact that the seasonal flu mutates so quickly is precisely why it is able to evade our vaccines, so the significantly slower mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2 gives us hope for the potential development of effective long-lasting vaccines against the virus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A good article on why Coronavirus seems to mutate much slower than seasonal flu

It doesn't address the question of deadly mutations, but the summary at the end of the article offers hope on developing a vaccine.

What have we learned about the epidemic?

Based on current data, it seems as though SARS-CoV-2 mutates much more slowly than the seasonal flu. Specifically, SARS-CoV-2 seems to have a mutation rate of less than 25 mutations per year, whereas the seasonal flu has a mutation rate of almost 50 mutations per year.

Given that the SARS-CoV-2 genome is almost twice as large as the seasonal flu genome, it seems as though the seasonal flu mutates roughly four times as fast as SARS-CoV-2. The fact that the seasonal flu mutates so quickly is precisely why it is able to evade our vaccines, so the significantly slower mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2 gives us hope for the potential development of effective long-lasting vaccines against the virus.

which is a problem if we dont have a vaccine ...the virulent strain degrades very slowly to less virulent species ...and its fucking virulent

on the plus side it means if an effective vaccine is developed it will work better

Edited by Ivan the terrible

On 5/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, Evil Penevil said:

I am very worried about whether the vaccine can be developed in a timely fashion.  Without an effective vaccine against COVID-19,  herd immunity  can't really kick in before there's a terrible cost from loss of life and burdening of  health care systems as well as staggering economic losses due to all the restrictions.

But it's quite a conspiracy theory to claim a vaccine against COVID-19 already exists.  How exactly would that conspiracy work?  What government or pharmaceutical company has the power and resources to develop a deadly virus, find a vaccine against it and then set off a global pandemic just to whip up demand for the vaccine?  How much money can they make?  The economic losses in every country in the world from the pandemic have been enormous and will take years to recover.  The money to be made seems paltry compared to the cost of the pandemic.

So who is sitting on the COVID-19 vaccine?  Big Pharma?  The government of the U.S.?  or China? or Russia? 

Please, please, PLEASE don't tell me it's the New World Order, the Illuminati, the Bilderberg Group, the Knights Templar, the Elders of Zion or David Icke's reptilian aliens who are behind COVID-19.  BTW, David Icke himself believes there's a connection between 5G towers and the pandemic.

X-files.jpg

I have a source that debunks the "vaccine already exists" myth:  Social Media Posts Spread Bogus Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory   It goes all the way back to January.

That myth has also been debunked.  The Federal money was for treatment of patients, not compensation for deaths:  Hospital Payments and the COVID-19 Death Count

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg

Edited by fforest

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Even you have heard them repeatedly say to get back to normal a vaccine is needed...The reason they are so desperate for every to take the vaccine is because that vaccine is going to be more than just a vaccine.....

Also about the money........Its a big misconception to think money runs this world......Think of this world as a pyramid..........The organizations at the bottom of the pyramid, judges ,police, politicians, etc ( Yes) money is their #1 concern, money rules them.....But as you go higher in the pyramid money becomes less important......

And at the very top of the pyramid money has ZERO importance.....The people at the top of the pyramid are so rich Bill Gates would be their shoe shine boy.....Money means nothing to them.......At the top its all about power and control or I guess you could say controlling the world...

🙄🙄🙄

11 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

one would think it has to be injestion ..with spill over into the respiratory tree

New tests suggest Saliva is more specific as a pcr...salivary adeno cells as resevoir?,they are similar to pancreatic cells histologically...musing here...purely speculative

ACE 2 receptors are abundant in the pancreas...

cluster in QL  around a toilet in a health care facility 

Some new research, not yet reviewed, suggests that spit is better than snot for PCR testing.

https://www.genengnews.com/news/sars-cov-2-detection-in-saliva-samples-is-sensitive-and-consistent/

PS. If you can get through it (annoying presenter), a possible reason for the hypercoagulability. If the ARDS don't get ya the hypercoagulability might.

48 minutes ago, fforest said:

Even you have heard them repeatedly say to get back to normal a vaccine is needed...The reason they are so desperate for every to take the vaccine is because that vaccine is going to be more than just a vaccine.....

Also about the money........Its a big misconception to think money runs this world......Think of this world as a pyramid..........The organizations at the bottom of the pyramid, judges ,police, politicians, etc ( Yes) money is their #1 concern, money rules them.....But as you go higher in the pyramid money becomes less important......

And at the very top of the pyramid money has ZERO importance.....The people at the top of the pyramid are so rich Bill Gates would be their shoe shine boy.....Money means nothing to them.......At the top its all about power and control or I guess you could say controlling the world...

Be careful they're watching you 😱

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

Ask their grieving loved ones...
I'm sure they don't care.

Silly reply of course they are grieving at their loss but YOU are blaming their death on a virus. They might have died from another illness but test positive for Covid 19. Even here in Scotland, nearly every death bein registered as Covid 19. 

You are plucking numbers of people dying and stating they died of Covid 19 to reinforce your opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, farangme said:

Silly reply of course they are grieving at their loss but YOU are blaming their death on a virus. They might have died from another illness but test positive for Covid 19. Even here in Scotland, nearly every death bein registered as Covid 19. 

You are plucking numbers of people dying and stating they died of Covid 19 to reinforce your opinion.

Pneumonia or blood clots (and the strokes and heart attacks caused by them) are pretty easy to identify at autopsy.

24 minutes ago, lazarus said:

COVID-19 shutdown protesters at the Michigan (US) state capital yesterday
They want to get haircuts & to "dine-in" at the local pizza parlor...

95704041_10220885994633336_8647698517696970752_n.jpg

Well at least they're wearing masks.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, farangme said:

No, I think you are the word  "plucker"...
Semantics have nothing to do with it.

Sources for the latest official reported numbers: 
Data Sources: WHOCDCECDCNHCDXYJHURCP | Population: World Bank | Seasonal Flu 1CDC/WHO 2017 Estimates

Captureeeeee.JPG

Edited by lazarus
grim reaper writes an obit...

The longer this drags on the worse it will become, it will take an age for the economy to recover to 2019 levels and return to positive growth. This virus does not seem to be going away any time soon. All the current plans seem to be on the premise of creating a viable vaccine. If no vaccine is found are we to be kept in lockdown, economic stagnation, unemployment. this is worse than letting the virus  run it’s course Plans need to be made with Covid 19 in our everyday lives like Flu or other viruses we are susceptible to.

My Current feelings are we are destroying the aspirations of our future generations. We have closed down all education UFN. The economy is in free fall. The tsunami is yet to come but the ripples have started. BA axe 12000 jobs Oasis and Warehose another 1800 gone. There are many other retailers, hotels, pubs and travel firms that will not recover and have closed for good. That is without mentioning the thousands of self employed who are on their knees. All these affected persons will require assistance from the state, adding to the already bloated borrowing the chancellor is undertaking. Kids coming through schools colleges and universities are going to find decent job opportunities almost impossible to come by. The stock market is in free fall any one retiring any time soon will probably find that their pension won’t be what they were expecting.

With each passing generation the object is to improve on what the previous generation had, building sound and secure foundations for the future. The group of people who are most susceptible to this virus are the elderly and persons with underlying health issues.We need to focus on keeping them safe while rebooting the economy. All the while it’s turned off catastrophic damage is being caused. Every life is precious old or young. We should not forget the sacrifices the vulnerable made years ago allowing us the freedoms we have today. At the same time we should not be denying the future generations their opportunities. Their aspirations of buying a house, family holidays bringing up kids of their own. A balance is needed fast between protecting the vulnerable and kickstarting the economy. The sooner the economy is restarted the sooner we can start repaying all this borrowed money that the chancellor will want back.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, Spacedog said:

The longer this drags on the worse it will become, it will take an age for the economy to recover to 2019 levels and return to positive growth. This virus does not seem to be going away any time soon. All the current plans seem to be on the premise of creating a viable vaccine. If no vaccine is found are we to be kept in lockdown, economic stagnation, unemployment. this is worse than letting the virus  run it’s course Plans need to be made with Covid 19 in our everyday lives like Flu or other viruses we are susceptible to.

My Current feelings are we are destroying the aspirations of our future generations. We have closed down all education UFN. The economy is in free fall. The tsunami is yet to come but the ripples have started. BA axe 12000 jobs Oasis and Warehose another 1800 gone. There are many other retailers, hotels, pubs and travel firms that will not recover and have closed for good. That is without mentioning the thousands of self employed who are on their knees. All these affected persons will require assistance from the state, adding to the already bloated borrowing the chancellor is undertaking. Kids coming through schools colleges and universities are going to find decent job opportunities almost impossible to come by. The stock market is in free fall any one retiring any time soon will probably find that their pension won’t be what they were expecting.

With each passing generation the object is to improve on what the previous generation had, building sound and secure foundations for the future. The group of people who are most susceptible to this virus are the elderly and persons with underlying health issues.We need to focus on keeping them safe while rebooting the economy. All the while it’s turned off catastrophic damage is being caused. Every life is precious old or young. We should not forget the sacrifices the vulnerable made years ago allowing us the freedoms we have today. At the same time we should not be denying the future generations their opportunities. Their aspirations of buying a house, family holidays bringing up kids of their own. A balance is needed fast between protecting the vulnerable and kickstarting the economy. The sooner the economy is restarted the sooner we can start repaying all this borrowed money that the chancellor will want back.

the current plans are about slowing the spread and making sure health services are not overwhelmed  .... I really don't understand how people don't get this 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ivan the terrible said:

you are talking about the developed world ...at least 50 % of the world population live in circumstances you describe...with f**k all health facilities

i stand by my prediction ...ultimately 50m + deaths unless the virus mutates to something less virulent  or an effective  vaccine becomes  available,sadly

It's already in the third world right now and as far as I can see they aren't dying in the millions. Besides I couldn't give a rats arse about some flea ridden third world shithole.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Additional study is needed to determine whether deadlier mutations are possible

Hardly a guarantee there won't be any deadly mutations. (Mind you, it's deadly enough already).

Still no explanation on how the virus jumped from bats to humans either. Same for SARS and MERS.

It's quite clear that you believe you know more than the scientists so it's a waste of time continuing this conversation.

I fully understand the rationale behind the current plans. Currently there are 1000s of spare beds available the Knightingale hospitals have hardly been used. The vast majority of Covid cases do not require hospital treatment. As I stated there needs to be a way to focus on keeping the vulnerable groups safe while starting the economy. If the economy stops tax receipts and NI contribution diminish without these funds the NHS disappears. 

9 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

the current plans are about slowing the spread and making sure health services are not overwhelmed  .... I really don't understand how people don't get this 

I really don't understand how people can't see that it's a massively disproportionate reaction. 

Just now, Spacedog said:

I fully understand the rationale behind the current plans. Currently there are 1000s of spare beds available the Knightingale hospitals have hardly been used. The vast majority of Covid cases do not require hospital treatment. As I stated there needs to be a way to focus on keeping the vulnerable groups safe while starting the economy. If the economy stops tax receipts and NI contribution diminish without these funds the NHS disappears. 

46% of oxygen supported beds have not been used.

Most of the nightingale hospitals have been completely empty since they were opened.

There is more than enough capacity of the NHS to cope. So much in fact that the doctors and nurses seem to be spending most of their shifts making stupid fucking videos on TikTok.

It's the cancer patients who have had their treatment unnecessarily cancelled that I feel for, they will pay with this with their lives.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, lazarus said:

No, I think you are the word  "plucker"...
Semantics have nothing to do with it.

Sources for the latest official reported numbers: 
Data Sources: WHOCDCECDCNHCDXYJHURCP | Population: World Bank | Seasonal Flu 1CDC/WHO 2017 Estimates

Captureeeeee.JPG

Don't believe any of it. Every Country have a different criteria and rules for numbers. Utter scare mongering.

Again, dying With Corona virus or dying solely because of are NOT the same.

38 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

46% of oxygen supported beds have not been used.

Most of the nightingale hospitals have been completely empty since they were opened.

There is more than enough capacity of the NHS to cope. So much in fact that the doctors and nurses seem to be spending most of their shifts making stupid fucking videos on TikTok.

It's the cancer patients who have had their treatment unnecessarily cancelled that I feel for, they will pay with this with their lives.

Correct. My ex's daughter has been given a Months holiday because the nurses have nothing to do. Scaremongering, lies, all rolled into one.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, farangme said:

Correct. My ex's daughter has been given a Months holiday because the nurses have nothing to do. Scaremongering, lies, all rolled into one.

14 minutes ago, farangme said:

I don't think people fully understand how f***d the economy is going to be for quite sometime. I have a good mate who works in software development for Paddy Power. He was told that his salary is going to be cut by 20% for the next financial year. Anyone that thinks we can just simply print more money and carry on as if nothing happened is absolutely deluded.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 2

One of my best mates Mrs is a nurse on the covid ward locally and they are stacked out with it ..

Maybe it all depends where you are I have no idea, but she paints a pretty grim picture and her husband (my mate ) is pretty fucking shook every shift she puts in..

Who to believe someone on the actual front line or someone bored to f**k typing shite on here ? 

• Thumbs Up 7

33 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Tens of thousands of NHS hospital beds remain unoccupied amid the coronavirus crisis — about four times the normal number — due to huge ongoing efforts to free up space, and a slowdown in admissions from other causes.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/acute-care/nhs-hospitals-have-four-times-more-empty-beds-than-normal/7027392.article

🙄

A lot of them would be taken by road accident victims which are far less due to the lockdown. 

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Fucking Hell, this past few pages on this thread have been hard work, the lockdown is certainly taking it's toll on some!

Anyone, I repeat, anyone, can google and find a 'link' to support whatever view they already hold about what's going on, from whatever viewpoint, such is the amount of stuff out there. Doesn't necessarily mean it's right, some may be fact based, some other stuff would make Mr Forest blush it's that mad!

People are comparing figures with seasonal flu, previous flu, previous diseases, other medical issues or whatever the f**k! Thing is, half the fucking world is or has been in lockdown over this, this is unprecedented. I dread to think what the figures would have been had we not been. The lockdowns have worked, as seen from China to Spain, and saved 1000's upon 1000's of lives. 

Then we've got the mad batshit (pun intended) conspiracy shite, thanks to Evil who has much more patience with this shite than me, and shows how it is debunked, well, anything that isn't so ridiculous that doesn't need debunked. Speaking of which, so apparently there's a vaccine already, aye, f**k me, who knew, well, apart from on the wacko websites! And aye, when one is found, I certainly will be clapping my hands to get it for me and my family, as any sane person will, sane being the key word here!  My big concern is that there will not a vaccine, and we have to continue similar to now for however long, only with much, much more death. 

I can see the argument for relaxing the lockdown, but when the time is right, and I feel it's soon, but then you look at Singapore who relaxed too soon, had to lockdown again, Germany are currently panicking a bit as well. Call me mad, I've been called worse, but i'll go with the best minds in the country in this, their speciality, than something I specifically googled or want to believe to support my already set viewpoint. I believe the lockdown was the right thing to do, as has been proven to be the right thing to do. Some may not agree with that,. and that's fine, I don't give a f**k. 

But this thread's been going a bit mental, from both sides of the' viewpoint', f**k me relax the lockdowns, before people's sanity fully goes lol. I'll probably stay out of it for another day for my own sanity, harm reduction it's called in the 'trade'. There's so  many virology and epidemiology experts on this forum, i'm proud to be a member. 

So here, here's a wee quiz to lighten the mood - 

95130407_1592628270893302_7247407791856418816_n.jpg

It's that rare breed of Neli with the optional extra of a fitted sprung loaded trunk.:default_fun:

Now get that wine open young man.

• Haha 4