COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

This is what the BBC has to say about the contact tracing app being trialled on the Isle of Wight:

One thing I have learned is the decision on when to send alerts isn't quite as simple as it's sometimes been described.

So it's not just a case of: if Jack was within 2m (6ft) of Jill for 15 minutes or longer, then send an alert if he becomes ill.

Instead, the app uses three metrics to work out a risk score:

• the proximity of the devices
  • the length of time the phones continued to detect each other
  • how infectious the person with the coronavirus was judged to be, based on how close the meeting happened to when they noticed their symptoms

Furthermore, the score is calculated by taking into account all the risky interactions an app user has had over a period of two weeks, rather than on just one occasion.

I think this article does a pretty good job of explaining the theory behind the methodology built into the IoW app.
I also found the article useful in understanding how the virus spreads (and the "viral load"), and am now less concerned about passing people in the street, at the supermarket, etc.

Time to put the fags away..? Here's what science is saying.

Smoking Nearly Doubles the Rate of COVID-19 Progression

"...In a meta-analysis of studies that included 11,590 COVID patients, researchers found that among people with the virus, the risk of disease progression in those who currently smoke or previously smoked was nearly double that of non-smokers. They also found that when the disease worsens, current or former smokers had more acute or critical conditions or death. Overall, smoking was associated with almost a doubling of the risk of disease progressing...

...They suggested that both smoking cessation and e-cigarette cessation, given the pulmonary effects of e-cigarette, be added to the list of practices to blunt the COVID-19 pandemic. "

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/417411/smoking-nearly-doubles-rate-covid-19-progression

_____

The report was published May 12, 2020, in Nicotine & Tobacco Research.  

https://academic.oup.com/ntr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ntr/ntaa082/5835834

LF2429.jpg

24 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

^^^ Well, I smoke .. nothing is wrong with me .. are they saying the same thing about ganja? .. If so, I am f**ed .. lol

Not a problem...unless you get COVID-19.
Scientific studies about ganja use are few & far between...nobody cares about dopers.
Reading the news, it seems infections in Thailand are relatively low?
No worries, then, right?

0ecd8a757444a822b12552c9c75a031d.jpg

7 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Not a problem...unless you get COVID-19.
Scientific studies about ganja use are few & far between...nobody cares about dopers.
Reading the news, it seems infections in Thailand are relatively low?
No worries, then, right?

0ecd8a757444a822b12552c9c75a031d.jpg

Bro ... I don't know if infections are as low as they say are here ( it is kinda a big "face" thing here  ) ... hard for me to believe the stats or anyone words

LOL -- nobody cares about dopers -- LOL .. you made me laugh hard and probably a lot of truth to the statement ....

NIT NOI worry -- I am just doing what I think is the right thing for the people I love ...

As far as the UK is concerned it will be a question of "watch this space" over the next few weeks. Crowded trains in to the centre of London and no social distancing inside the carriages. 

What happens if the number of cases start to rise again? 

Back to square one and increased lockdown. If so also many of those people may then have to take time off if they have moderate symptoms or just spread it to those in their homes and those around them

On the other hand we might not see any difference 

I know where my money would be on 

I understand the argument that some people don't care if they get infected and want to carry on as was normal. We all want to get back to normal. As long as those people care about others and isolate if they catch it. Otherwise that could be viewed as manslaughter if a person knowingly passes the virus on to a person that ends up dying from Covid 19 related illness. 

That is what many fear and quite rightly.  No one actually knows what their symptom will be. Some maybe asymptomatic, others feeling unwell for a few weeks, some maybe be hospitalised and some may die. We 

None of know the answer not even the government 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Manslaughter.

😂😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yes, I had the same reaction...... Our friend is dramatizing a bit ...

You're right.

I'd go for murder!

• Haha 2

Well let's take the case of an incident not long ago when a passenger at Victoria Station spat in the face of a member of staff who consequently died of virus related symptoms. 

Probably not much chance of him being caught and even if he was he would more than likely get prosecuted for assault even though it was premeditated and the person died as a direct result of his actions. Perhaps he is already dead which would be a good thing. Who knows how many others he tried to deliberately infect. In my mind it is manslaughter. 

I am not suggesting that everyone goes around doing that but I am saying that it is totally irresponsible for anyone who knows that they are infected to go near others who are not. 

I am speaking of a moral implication not a legal one. 

If there are arseholes around with no common sense then I guess they will do as they want. But I do t want to be anywhere near them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

There is a huge difference between spitting in someone's face and a plumber going back to work.

😂

When did I say there wasn't? 

I have a gas safety inspection in an hour.  He or she will ear a mask and only be in one area.  I will go upstairs while he inspects my gas boiler. I do not expect him to spit in my face or cough over me or come close to me. Please don't read into things that are not there. 

12 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

When did I say there wasn't? 

I have a gas safety inspection in an hour.  He or she will ear a mask and only be in one area.  I will go upstairs while he inspects my gas boiler. I do not expect him to spit in my face or cough over me or come close to me. Please don't read into things that are not there. 

No offense but your post was filled with hysterical nonsense. The majority of decent people want to get back to work now. The instructions are clear for those who want to understand them, use your common sense and go back to work if you can whilst maintaining social distancing measures where possible..

• Thumbs Up 4

Got this off FB so the first paragraph is not about you guys on this forum!

I’m sick of the thick twats on here that can’t think or act for themselves, Boris can not be in every household telling every single individual what to do .. he has to have a plan for the country .. or the poor bloke would get laid into over that !!!.. what do people want?
7am wake up
7.15 go for a piss
7.30 get dressed
7.45 breakfast 
Ffs !!! Think for yourselves, stay safe, wash your hands, keep social distance... how the f**k do you think the key workers have carried on through this.. is this country just full of fucking sheep .. waiting to be told what to do, do you not understand the country can’t stay shut forever, business are on the verge of bankruptcy everywhere , which means you won’t have a job, !!!! The country can’t pay for furlough indefinitely... the country will be on its knees, and then you will want Boris to sort that out with his fucking magic wond “ yes you can go out, but keep your distance, wash your hands, go to work if your employers can keep you as safe as possible “ but most of all “think for your bloody selves, do your best , you didn’t mind the people in the shops filling your shelves full of food everyday, the lorry drivers moving food around, the pickers in the warehouses going to work, the nhs staff looking after the sick.. they didn’t magically fucking grow wings and fly to work, or sit at home being paid , NO ! They carried on and did everything in their power to stay as safe as they could.. so guess what ... everyone needs to be sensible and pull together .. the country needs to open, the country needs to at least try and see if it works.. I’m sick of people wanting their arses wiped... it’s everyone’s job to try their best to stay safe.. Boris can’t hold everyone’s hand, you have a Brain pissing use it ..., he didn’t ask for this virus, the rest of the world are dealing with it too, there is no fucking manual, or written rules on how to sort this shit out ,but everyone seems to be giving him a hard time when he clearly states that clarification will come in the next few days... Jesus Christ ...guess what, he’s not a miracle worker, he’s just a man, trying his best, in a unprecedented situation.. I’m guessing the sheep of this country can do better, from their arm chairs .. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

No offense but your post was filled with hysterical nonsense. The majority of decent people want to get back to work now. The instructions are clear for those who want to understand them, use your common sense and go back to work if you can whilst maintaining social distancing measures where possible..

No offense taken. I am well aware that people want to get on with their lives as before. Myself included. 

The problem arises when asking people to use their common sense. Not everyone will. Hence crowded trains heading into town. 

The instructions were as clear as mud and have left many confused. 

You are confusing common sense for hysteria. I am well balanced and expressing my point of view as I see it. 

There are also a lot of people who are shot scared of going back to work.  I don't think any of us here could be so arrogant that we claim to speak for the people. 

Let's wait and see what happens over the next few weeks and the government up dates. It is far too soon for anyone to see the results of the easing of lockdown. Nobody  knows, even you 

Slowly but surely the penny is dropping here in the UK. 1st quarter economy shrinks by 2%. Bearing in mind the lockdown started right at the end of The quarter. The second quarters results are going to be the worst in living memory. Millions of people are currently furloughed   and are being paid 80% of salary up to GBP2500, which has extended till the end of Oct. Some people are becoming increasingly comfortable with this seeing it as a long break. Wait till they are asked to return to work, that is if their job is still there. By extending the furlough scheme with no realistic plan of how to return back to normal, struggling businesses will extend the furlough until the last possible moment before closing. Why not let the government pay your salary bill, defer delivering the horrible message of redundancy till the very last moment. With the economy expected to shrink between 15-20% what percentage of the workforce are going to end up redundant?

Some companies have already announced job cuts BA, Virgin, and Rolls Royce are just a few, how many more to follow? Kids are not being educated and the unions are flexing their muscles telling teachers not to return to work unless safety is guaranteed. Bearing in mind that the young are the the least likely to be affected by the virus. Thousands of apprentice schemes have been cancelled leaving thousands of teenagers  in limbo. There are and will not be any new jobs available any time soon for this generation.

On the news this morning. Finally someone had the balls to spell out that we are going to be paying this back for years and years to come. Increasing income tax, VAT, national insurance higher duty on petrol and alcohol. As a country we only just finished paying the debt of for WW2, Gordon Brown sold the gold reserves in 2006.

It seems to me ironic that the group of people most vulnerable to this virus (the elderly/retired) are the ones best positioned to emerge from this crisis unscathed financially. Many are mortgage free, drawing on private pensions, good luck to them they deserve it. After all that is the position we all would like to be in come the end of our working lives. Sadly for the young and people with young families they are going to bear the brunt of this for a very long time yet. People can forget about holidays in the sun, weekend breaks away, disposable income will be at a premium.

The way I see it is the politicians were too quick to put us in lockdown. There is no credible plan to ease us out of lockdown back to normality. They keep on spouting crap like social distancing, wearing masks not mixing outside of the household. On one hand grandparents cant visit their grandkids or children, they can go out and play tennis or have a game of golf if they want. Private cleaners are now allowed into peoples homes along with estate agents and people who want to view your house. The left hand don’t know what the right hand is doing. The Government has created a complete clusterf**k, they will be dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t. They have dug themselves a massive hole with no idea how to get out. 

I do believe in order to move this forward and restore our everyday freedoms and return to normality. The government should be focusing on the elderly and vulnerable who are most likely to be affected by the virus, keeping them safe and secure. The lockdown should be revoked immediately travel restrictions lifted and let the virus blow itself out. They should have stuck to the original plan of herd immunity before that twat Ferguson got involved.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

No offense taken. I am well aware that people want to get on with their lives as before. Myself included. 

The problem arises when asking people to use their common sense. Not everyone will. Hence crowded trains heading into town. 

The instructions were as clear as mud and have left many confused. 

You are confusing common sense for hysteria. I am well balanced and expressing my point of view as I see it. 

There are also a lot of people who are shot scared of going back to work.  I don't think any of us here could be so arrogant that we claim to speak for the people. 

Let's wait and see what happens over the next few weeks and the government up dates. It is far too soon for anyone to see the results of the easing of lockdown. Nobody  knows, even you 

The govt can't live people's lives for them, as much as the left want that. People need to be trusted to make their own decisions regarding their health and safety.

We can't lock everyone away until we find a vaccine, produce it and distribute it to the entire population. At some point we need to get back to some sort of normality.

59 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Got this off FB so the first paragraph is not about you guys on this forum!

I’m sick of the thick twats on here that can’t think or act for themselves, Boris can not be in every household telling every single individual what to do .. he has to have a plan for the country .. or the poor bloke would get laid into over that !!!.. what do people want?
7am wake up
7.15 go for a piss
7.30 get dressed
7.45 breakfast 
Ffs !!! Think for yourselves, stay safe, wash your hands, keep social distance... how the f**k do you think the key workers have carried on through this.. is this country just full of fucking sheep .. waiting to be told what to do, do you not understand the country can’t stay shut forever, business are on the verge of bankruptcy everywhere , which means you won’t have a job, !!!! The country can’t pay for furlough indefinitely... the country will be on its knees, and then you will want Boris to sort that out with his fucking magic wond “ yes you can go out, but keep your distance, wash your hands, go to work if your employers can keep you as safe as possible “ but most of all “think for your bloody selves, do your best , you didn’t mind the people in the shops filling your shelves full of food everyday, the lorry drivers moving food around, the pickers in the warehouses going to work, the nhs staff looking after the sick.. they didn’t magically fucking grow wings and fly to work, or sit at home being paid , NO ! They carried on and did everything in their power to stay as safe as they could.. so guess what ... everyone needs to be sensible and pull together .. the country needs to open, the country needs to at least try and see if it works.. I’m sick of people wanting their arses wiped... it’s everyone’s job to try their best to stay safe.. Boris can’t hold everyone’s hand, you have a Brain pissing use it ..., he didn’t ask for this virus, the rest of the world are dealing with it too, there is no fucking manual, or written rules on how to sort this shit out ,but everyone seems to be giving him a hard time when he clearly states that clarification will come in the next few days... Jesus Christ ...guess what, he’s not a miracle worker, he’s just a man, trying his best, in a unprecedented situation.. I’m guessing the sheep of this country can do better, from their arm chairs .. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

The faux outrage over bojo's speech and the new govt directions has been laughable. It is only coming from the far left and the remainer weirdos. The instructions from the govt were clear to anyone with half a brain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1