COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I lost my aunt to it this past July. 

I ain't gonna get into all of it, and especially the politics of it. 

But a lot of folks just don't recognize how widespread and devastating a virus like this can be. The f*cking things mutate and change almost daily. If a lid ain't kept on it it could take out incredible numbers. I don't want it to get me or anyone else i care for. I'll leave it at that because my b.p. is starting to perk up. I just got back in here and want to stay around for a while.  So.... I'm switching over to the "What are you listening to thread"

^^^^^^This!

Already in the UK operations are getting cancelled again as there are no beds in some hospitals due to filling up with Covid patients. 

And that's only operations, wait till the ICU beds get full, what happens to the many people with daily life threatening stuff that needs treated straight away like strokes, heart attacks, road traffic accidents etc etc, nevermind cancer, heart issues or stuff like that, if a lid isn't kept on it. Could happen to anyone's child, sibling, parent, grandparent. 

Ah but, sure apparently it only really impacts the elderly and being able to shake hands is more important anyway ....🙄

Hope to God the current new restrictions in the UK work, but sadly i doubt it, and think the death rate will now continue to climb. 

Edit - And this is not just the UK, there are other European countries in a similar position, doing similar. 

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Hope to God the current new restrictions in the UK work, but sadly i doubt it, and think the death rate will now continue to climb

I doubt it too.

UK for me has the worst of both worlds. Restrictions that will damage business but are being implemented too late and in confusing half-arsed fashion, whilst the virus has already gone out of control .

Think the Nightingales that people scoffed at for never been used are about to come into play

Depressing as hell

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

I doubt it too.

UK for me has the worst of both worlds. Restrictions that will damage business but are being implemented too late and in confusing half-arsed fashion, whilst the virus has already gone out of control .

Think the Nightingales that people scoffed at for never been used are about to come into play

Depressing as hell

Yep, there are some countries and their leaders who have handled this well, or reasonably well, the UK has been a fucking shambles, reactionary, and the amount of money spunked or stroked by Tory mates, blatantly,  is eyewatering.  PPI that can't be used, 12 billion on an embarrassment of a track and trace etc. Thankfully it's being localised now, we have a 90%+ success rate with it and we were only allowed to set it up literally a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

31 minutes ago, Krapow said:

^^^^^^This!

Already in the UK operations are getting cancelled again as there are no beds in some hospitals due to filling up with Covid patients. 

And that's only operations, wait till the ICU beds get full, what happens to the many people with daily life threatening stuff that needs treated straight away like strokes, heart attacks, road traffic accidents etc etc, nevermind cancer, heart issues or stuff like that, if a lid isn't kept on it. Could happen to anyone's child, sibling, parent, grandparent. 

Ah but, sure apparently it only really impacts the elderly and being able to shake hands is more important anyway ....🙄

Hope to God the current new restrictions in the UK work, but sadly i doubt it, and think the death rate will now continue to climb. 

Edit - And this is not just the UK, there are other European countries in a similar position, doing similar. 

This is very true, I had a phone appointment with my doctor yesterday for a review, he said he wanted a full set of bloods from me but I would have to wait 2 to 3 weeks as no bloods were being done right now unless an emergency because there was a shortage of some chemical needed to process it. This being caused by the Covid situation.

Edited by boydeste
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, boydeste said:

This is very true, I had a phone appointment with my doctor yesterday for a review, he said he wanted a full set of bloods from me but I would have to wait 2 to 3 weeks as no bloods were being done right now unless an emergency because there was a shortage of some chemical needed to process it. This being caused by the Covid situation.

Interesting. You'd think they'd have sorted that out by now?

Here in California, USA -- where the infection & hospitalization rate is currently trending low -- the medical clinics are advertising on the radio trying to get people to come in for routine check-ups. Just heard one this morning.

Covid infections tend to be regional to the point of pinpoint infection areas (e.g., neighborhoods, church groups, etc).

This points to the need for a comprehensive national strategy that can be directed to where it is most needed -- essentially medical "strike teams" ready to go at the first sign of rising infection rates.

Edited by lazarus

Well boys, you'll have to calm you dreams a bit about a vaccine being found last month, next month, in 3 months, in 6 months .....

You better renew your Netflix subscription, and buy a few 100's more masks because this Covid thing is here to stay ! 

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5975253002

Johnson & Johnson pauses COVID-19 vaccine trial after unexplained illness, the second US trial now on hold

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/09/09/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-trial-hold-what-does-mean/5757590002/

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine trial has been stopped after an illness

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/13/us-pauses-eli-lillys-trial-of-a-coronavirus-antibody-treatment-over-safety-concerns.html

U.S. pauses Eli Lilly's trial of a coronavirus antibody treatment over safety concerns

From the Fox News opinion side:

Tucker Carlson: The cult of mask-wearing grows, with no evidence they work
Our leaders think masks are holy amulets protecting us from disease. Why?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-cult-of-mask-wearing

. . .

Ok...Fox News...sure...they don't like masks...We get it. Some on here don't like masks, as well.

Interestingly though, there is a US CDC study cited in the story that provides some good information.

Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities —
United States, July 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

The summary...

Capture.JPG

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

Interesting. You'd think they'd have sorted that out by now?

Here in California, USA -- where the infection & hospitalization rate is currently trending low -- the medical clinics are advertising on the radio trying to get people to come in for routine check-ups. Just heard one this morning.

Covid infections tend to be regional to the point of pinpoint infection areas (e.g., neighborhoods, church groups, etc).

This points to the need for a comprehensive national strategy that can be directed to where it is most needed -- essentially medical "strike teams" ready to go at the first sign of rising infection rates.

They have very good systems for tracing and identifying mutations and have the capacity (if coordinated and funded properly) to get a handle on it. But it requires strong, disciplined leaders and policy makers working in close conjunction with the medical experts. Without it and the publics support things will spiral out of control, people will lose confidence and the whole thing will unravel leading to unimaginable consequences.

Time to hunker down and put a full court press on this thing. Hit it hard and keep punching until it goes down (then stomp on its head until it ceases to exist).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

They have very good systems for tracing and identifying mutations and have the capacity (if coordinated and funded properly) to get a handle on it. But it requires strong, disciplined leaders and policy makers working in close conjunction with the medical experts. Without it and the publics support things will spiral out of control, people will lose confidence and the whole thing will unravel leading to unimaginable consequences.

Time to hunker down and put a full court press on this thing. Hit it hard and keep punching until it goes down (then stomp on its head until it ceases to exist).

Dr. Larry Brilliant was saying the same thing back in March...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brilliant

15 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Dr. Larry Brilliant was saying the same thing back in March...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brilliant

Well, I looked at this guy' Bio..... more a guru and phylosopher than a scientific obviously.

"Brilliant, a technology patent holder, has been the CEO of public companies and venture backed start-ups. He was the inaugural Executive Director of Google.org,[2] the charitable arm of Google established in 2005, and the first CEO of Skoll Global Threats Fund, established in 2009 by eBay founder Jeff Skoll to address climate change, pandemics, water security, nuclear proliferation, and conflict in the Middle East. Brilliant currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Ending Pandemics, and is also on the boards of the Skoll Foundation, Salesforce.org, The Seva Foundation, and Dharma Platform."

Another extract :

"After the US government forced the Indians of All Tribes off Alcatraz, Brilliant became a media darling which led to a movie company casting him in Medicine Ball Caravan, playing a doctor in a film about a tribe of hippies who follow the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, and Joni Mitchell.[5] The cast was paid with airline tickets to India. Brilliant and some others cashed their tickets in and rented a bus to drive around Europe, which then turned into a relief convoy to help victims of the 1970 Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh (then East Pakistan)."

Please read the complete thing .....

Nevertheless, I decided to listen to him. Lasted 3 min. The guy doesn't bring anything, and its not his "virus world spreading simulation" that is gonna impress me.

FFS, if those are the kind of guys you expect to save you, you're in deep shit.

The word "charlatan" comes to wind.

44 minutes ago, Bazle said:

That story is several weeks old. The trials were re-started after about a week.

I believe that AZD1222, AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine candidate, is still on hold in the US. Trials resumed elsewhere.

Nothing to do with letting Moderna catch up...

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

I read that Indonesia has kindly volunteered to act as a global testing ground for any new vaccines, and will offer to use the population of Bali as vaccine lab rats. This will not be a voluntary programme for the residents.

<tryingtostoplaughing>

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, I looked at this guy' Bio..... more a guru and phylosopher than a scientific obviously.

"Brilliant, a technology patent holder, has been the CEO of public companies and venture backed start-ups. He was the inaugural Executive Director of Google.org,[2] the charitable arm of Google established in 2005, and the first CEO of Skoll Global Threats Fund, established in 2009 by eBay founder Jeff Skoll to address climate change, pandemics, water security, nuclear proliferation, and conflict in the Middle East. Brilliant currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Ending Pandemics, and is also on the boards of the Skoll Foundation, Salesforce.org, The Seva Foundation, and Dharma Platform."

Another extract :

"After the US government forced the Indians of All Tribes off Alcatraz, Brilliant became a media darling which led to a movie company casting him in Medicine Ball Caravan, playing a doctor in a film about a tribe of hippies who follow the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, and Joni Mitchell.[5] The cast was paid with airline tickets to India. Brilliant and some others cashed their tickets in and rented a bus to drive around Europe, which then turned into a relief convoy to help victims of the 1970 Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh (then East Pakistan)."

Please read the complete thing .....

Nevertheless, I decided to listen to him. Lasted 3 min. The guy doesn't bring anything, and its not his "virus world spreading simulation" that is gonna impress me.

FFS, if those are the kind of guys you expect to save you, you're in deep shit.

The word "charlatan" comes to wind.

When you start getting your own TED talks...I'll take you seriously, too.

In the meantime...keep the faith, baby!

15 hours ago, boydeste said:

This "boggles" my mind ... I have seen no evidence of this at any of one of the 35 hospitals I work with here .... these are private hospitals here not public ( government ) .... and about 3/4 of them a gigantic hospitals that seemed packed with patients everyday ( and none of them have had a Wuhan patient yet ... )

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yes, me as well ... god bless !

Thanks guys. Very nice of you to say.

Words can't even begin to express the depth of the feelings of all of that. Never had a feeling of helplessness such as that. Probably never will until the day I'm gulping down my final breaths.

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

I think you may be referring to the first hold up when they re-started shortly afterwards blaming previously undiagnosed MS in the volunteer.  This is another stoppage but one where everyone else has allowed a re-start except the USA.  A bit unusual to me.

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

This "boggles" my mind ... I have seen no evidence of this at any of one of the 35 hospitals I work with here .... these are private hospitals here not public ( government ) .... and about 3/4 of them a gigantic hospitals that seemed packed with patients everyday ( and none of them have had a Wuhan patient yet ... )

When I first got up to Chaing Mai recently I stopped by a major public hospital that was near where I was staying. I stopped in to see a doctor as it was it was close and I was in a lot of discomfort (to put it mildly). I thought WTF, why not. I had what turned out to be strep throat. So, they had me sitting, waiting near the entrance of the E.R. I waited a long time. As I waited I watched as the vans pullup - one after another after another got out, many were directly dropped onto gurneys. It was like a fucking production line. I saw one taken out in a body bag as I watched the others rolling in.

Finally they said I have to take van to different building. I said ok and waited some more. I eventually got into a van with a surly driver and a young Thai couple (they looked almost like newlyweds). He drove us around the corner where we got out with our paperwork. The other couple walked up first as I stood near the van. I watched.... then I realized they were going to a covid test site. f**k this.....I slowly walked around the corner and down the road grabbed a taxi to Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. I was treated there, went back three times finally healed up.

Interesting experience and opened my eyes to what I've suspected since day 1. 

Wear your fucking masks guys.

• Great Info 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KWA said:

I think you may be referring to the first hold up when they re-started shortly afterwards blaming previously undiagnosed MS in the volunteer.  This is another stoppage but one where everyone else has allowed a re-start except the USA.  A bit unusual to me.

The article linked (https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/09/09/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-trial-hold-what-does-mean/5757590002/) says:

The hold AstraZeneca placed Tuesday on its COVID-19 vaccine trials is the first major setback in pursuit of a vaccine against a disease that has now killed 190,000 in the U.S. and nearly 900,000 worldwide. 

One volunteer in a trial in the United Kingdom apparently developed a serious neurological problem after receiving the vaccine, though not much has been made publicly available about what happened.

and is dated 9 September. That seems to be the first stoppage, not another one.