COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

6 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

It is very tragic the lady passed away but after reading the article the daughter should have warned her mother before preaching to others. 

The lady in question would have been in the high risk area whether it was the first wave...second wave...third wave....etc..etc.

I see by the article that she had a kidney transplant in July.... 3 months ago. She was also told to stay indoors but decided go against the advice.

This is an example of where people are responsible for their own actions and tragically they did not do this. 

My sympathy lays with with the kidney donor and someone else who may have got the transplant as the lady in question as a nurse knew what the situation was but chose to ignore it..... to me... a wasted transplant to a selfish lady.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, roobob said:

It is very tragic the lady passed away but after reading the article the daughter should have warned her mother before preaching to others. 

The lady in question would have been in the high risk area whether it was the first wave...second wave...third wave....etc..etc.

I see by the article that she had a kidney transplant in July.... 3 months ago. She was also told to stay indoors but decided go against the advice.

This is an example of where people are responsible for their own actions and tragically they did not do this. 

My sympathy lays with with the kidney donor and someone else who may have got the transplant as the lady in question as a nurse knew what the situation was but chose to ignore it..... to me... a wasted transplant to a selfish lady.

cheers

Yes very selfish driving round delivering food to nurses....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Yes very selfish driving round delivering food to nurses....

Very selfish from not following advice after getting a transplant..... especially since she was a nurse and should have known better.

I am sure the donor and the person who may have missed out on the transplant fully supports her selfish decision.

cheers 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Sad, but typical piece of dramatization "journalism" ....

Insisting heavily on all the emotional parts instead of sticking to simple, objective reporting. 

But of course, this kind of stuffs sells better.

• Thumbs Up 2

You would have thought that being a nurse she would have self isolated, especially as she was in a high risk group. 
I commend her for wanting to help other nurses by delivering food, but her health should have come first. 
Now she has lost her life and a kidney that would have given someone else a new lease of life. 

• Like 2

Bloody expats .....😁😁😁😁😱😱😱

https://thebalisun.com/bali-expats-not-following-mask-protocols-and-running-from-police-in-canggu/

To be honest, they're bloody idiots. At least have it ready and pull it up if you arrive at a police checkpoint ! Smile, Good Morning, go through, 20 m farther pull it off again.  And the ones doing a runner should be thrown in jail for a W.E. . Not about the mask, but because their stupidity will one make that police will specifically target expats.

It's not like there are checkpoints everywhere....  One every week or less, just chill out and take it easy.

About the tests...

Here the "default" test for inter island travel is the so called "rapid test", the one done by picking some blood from your finger. If that one is positive you will be rejected to travel, and you should do a PCR test to confirm (or not) the Rapid test.

Now have a look at the results between the 2 tests

So from 627 positive rapid test, only 98 were confirmed by the PCR test ?

https://thebalisun.com/91-bali-inmates-including-7-foreigners-have-covid-19/

"91 inmates including 7 foreigners have COVID-19 after a second PCR swab test confirmed earlier testing. 

Last week 627 inmates, which is half the prison population tested reactive to the Coronavirus during rapid testing. To get more accurate results, Bali authorities tested all the inmates again using the more accurate PCR swab test. "

My problem is that, as mentionned @Pumpuynarak previously,  I have zero confidence in their numbers. In this case is the (enormous) error rate between Rapid and PCR test real, in which case the rapid test should be abandoned, OR did somebody decided that adding 627 "positives" to the stats was a bit too much and they "revised" the results ? 

And to make it even more fun, they just decided that starting this W.E. (which is long 4 or 5 day religious holiday) all tourists arriving in Bali will need to take the Antigen test on arrival in Bali .... We are speaking domestic tourists here as there is still no international travel.

https://thebalisun.com/all-tourists-entering-bali-will-now-face-mandatory-antigen-testing/

A new higher accuracy Antigen COVID-19 will be mandatory for all tourists wanting to enter Bali just in time for the holiday weekend.

It's all a good laugh as long you're not concerned. 

Needless to say, that I have given up on my trips to Java since March ! Too worried they'll have another genius idea while I am there, and I end up listening to my mate Ahmed for a few months ....

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

So from 627 positive rapid test, only 98 were confirmed by the PCR test ?

I'm sure I've read the PCR test gives a lot of false positives too, so it seems to me we can't believe a lot of the stats given out (on either side of the debate).

Same with these differing scenarios of predicted deaths etc - all just guesswork.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KWA said:

I'm sure I've read the PCR test gives a lot of false positives too, so it seems to me we can't believe a lot of the stats given out (on either side of the debate).

Same with these differing scenarios of predicted deaths etc - all just guesswork.

Fully agreed. 

And that is one of the things that irritates me, you can't believe anybody in this story. 

I have read that PCR can give up to 30 / 40% false positives. 

But you can't find any official data or stats on this, although sure since 6 months there is enough data to do a serious analysis.

1 hour ago, KWA said:

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Fully agreed. 

And that is one of the things that irritates me, you can't believe anybody in this story. 

I have read that PCR can give up to 30 / 40% false positives. 

But you can't find any official data or stats on this, although sure since 6 months there is enough data to do a serious analysis.

Christ, not this bullshit again.

The information is there if anyone is prepared to look.

In June testing of a RT-PCR system being offered was carried out on behalf of the Australian government.

156 samples containing the SARS-CoV-2 virus were prepared, the positive samples.

115 samples containing RNA from other viruses but not the SARS-CoV-2 virus were also prepared, the negative samples.

The samples were randomized and tested at 3 different laboratories using the RT-PCR system being evaluated.

The results were

00000.jpg

So worst case 3% false positive, best case 0%.

No 30-40% false positives.

There's more likely to be false negatives than false positives.

In addition, virus could be reliably be detected in dilutions up to 1/65,536,000.

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

Meanwhile, the massacre game continues.....

https://www.teletrader.com/amp/news/details/53603905

Rolls-Royce plunges 65% as it prepares closures

[28/10/2020] 17:01:00

Shares of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc tumbled more than 65% on Tuesday after news that the company is preparing to temporarily close its factories, cut benefits and reduce working hours due to the ongoing crisis.

According to a report previously published by the Financial Times, the staff of the British firm was informed of new measures based "around pay and benefits and potential operational shutdowns," prompted by the lowered aircraft demand.

Rolls-Royce stocks sank 65.13% to sell for £0.76 at 10:05 am CET. The coronavirus pandemic widely impacted its business operations, as the company's shares lost over 88% of its pre-crisis value from the start of 2020.

• Great Info 1

24 minutes ago, fygjam said:

In June testing of a RT-PCR system being offered was carried out on behalf of the Australian government.

156 samples containing the SARS-CoV-2 virus were prepared, the positive samples.

115 samples containing RNA from other viruses but not the SARS-CoV-2 virus were also prepared, the negative samples.

The samples were randomized and tested at 3 different laboratories using the RT-PCR system being evaluated.

The results were

00000.jpg

So worst case 3% false positive, best case 0%.

No 30-40% false positives.

There's more likely to be false negatives than false positives.

In addition, virus could be reliably be detected in dilutions up to 1/65,536,000.

lol..... Stats from the Australian  Govt.... this from the same Govt that said that Australia would have up to 150,000 deaths.....lol

All Govts are just pumping out stats to suit their own agenda..... nothing more....nothing less.

cheers

28 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Being an expert in Google I'm sure you could find discussions which support the opposite point of view too, but have no interest in doing so.  The test method/procedures in your example could be picked apart but I have no interest in doing so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KWA said:

Being an expert in Google I'm sure you could find discussions which support the opposite point of view too, but have no interest in doing so.  The test method/procedures in your example could be picked apart but I have no interest in doing so.

In other words you can't support your claim.

Up to you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, roobob said:

lol..... Stats from the Australian  Govt.... this from the same Govt that said that Australia would have up to 150,000 deaths.....lol

All Govts are just pumping out stats to suit their own agenda..... nothing more....nothing less.

cheers

How's that October court case going. Only a few more days!

1 minute ago, fygjam said:

In other words you can't support your claim.

Up to you.

Are you honestly saying your googling didn't throw up any discussions which emphasised a reasonable possibility of false positives?  I call bullshit again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KWA said:

Are you honestly saying your googling didn't throw up any discussions which emphasised a reasonable possibility of false positives?  I call bullshit again.

It is not up to me to provide the evidence to support your bogus argument.

You want to claim high false positive rates, provide the evidence or accept you are wrong.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Just to throw some reality into the mix, a good friend of mine has done 3 covid swab tests since march and 2 of them came back inconclusive and he was asked to please take another test.

I wonder where that figures in the figures? LOL

Without knowing how the swabs were processed (RT-PCR, LAMP) probably doesn't figure.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Without knowing how the swabs were processed (RT-PCR, LAMP) probably doesn't figure.

It was done at a UK testing site and results obtained in 48 hours. he said he had to swab the back of the throat for 15 seconds, then up each nostile for 10 seconds each. I have no idea about the process used here.

Is there more than one way to do it?

Edit - just done some research and we use a PCR process here for our Covid test centers.

Edited by boydeste