COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Watching the Beeb and the Health Minister this morning and it seems they have planned who gets the vaccines first. 
People in nursing/old people’s homes including staff at these homes.
Next comes NHS frontline staff, then the over 80’s and then it will be rolled out based on age bands below 80. 
According to the minister, children won’t get the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, andyajn said:

But will everybody be happy to take a relatively untried vaccine? 

I doubt it. I doubt whether it would become mandatory. 

But if lockdowns do not have the desired long term effect, then I guess that it offers so alternative. That said, having read a couple of articles this morning, saying that front line workers would be some of the first to receive the vaccine, I was not sure whether that would be a condition of their employment.  I think it will be a personal risk assessment and a choice. 

The flu jab is not 100% effective but it works in the majority of cases, but then that has been developed and rolled out over a number of years. 

As far as am aware, it has not been tested on unborn fetuses, for instance and that could be a concern for women.  

For the elderly and those at high risk, I guess they or/and their families will have weigh up the risks and make the choice. But again, that said, would residents old peoples homes be given or offered the vaccine?  There would be an issue around those with dementia and other cognitive deficiencies as to consent

It looks as though it is a while before vaccine will be distributed, and hopefully these kind of issues will be ironed out. 

For now, it appears to be a general announcement which to many will seem a light at the end of the tunnel.. 

I had a conversation with my daughter about this yesterday. She said that she will not have the vaccine. But that if she were in my situation then she probably would. 

I reckon they should try it out on Politicians first 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I doubt it. I doubt whether it would become mandatory. 

But if lockdowns do not have the desired long term effect, then I guess that it offers so alternative. That said, having read a couple of articles this morning, saying that front line workers would be some of the first to receive the vaccine, I was not sure whether that would be a condition of their employment.  I think it will be a personal risk assessment and a choice. 

The flu jab is not 100% effective but it works in the majority of cases, but then that has been developed and rolled out over a number of years. 

As far as am aware, it has not been tested on unborn fetuses, for instance and that could be a concern for women.  

For the elderly and those at high risk, I guess they or/and their families will have weigh up the risks and make the choice. But again, that said, would residents old peoples homes be given or offered the vaccine?  There would be an issue around those with dementia and other cognitive deficiencies as to consent

It looks as though it is a while before vaccine will be distributed, and hopefully these kind of issues will be ironed out. 

For now, it appears to be a general announcement which to many will seem a light at the end of the tunnel.. 

I had a conversation with my daughter about this yesterday. She said that she will not have the vaccine. But that if she were in my situation then she probably would. 

I reckon they should try it out on Politicians first 

Boris and his Sages...good call...lol......

Personally I think the vaccine roll out will be a great day as this virus is unlikely to go away anytime soon.  What has been good about the last 6 months, basically nothing.

I lost my job, loads of people unemployed, unable to fly to basically anywhere without issue, can't really go to Thailand without huge cost, governments all offering differing lock downs and plans to lessen the virus transmission and mostly just delaying the inevitable. Need to follow draconian rules in wearing masks and restrictions in movement, pubs opening, pubs closing, Christmas meal with family up in the air, not knowing when life will get back to a resemblance of normal.   

Still thousands being infected every day and no end in sight until a vaccine is available, that seems now to be a reality and yet we are discussing whether the vaccine will be beneficial. The companies offering these vaccines must have had rigorous testing before announcing the efficacy.

It is likely that many countries (especially ones members here might want to visit) will start allowing only tourists in that can prove they have had a vaccine so it's benefit both in medical terms and freedom terms (excuse the pun) are likely to see many taking the vaccine to carry on their lives as best as they can and to allow them to travel where they want.

I have never ever had a vaccination whereby I have questioned if it is really beneficial for me, I have just accepted its recommendation.  I will no doubt have no issue in receiving a vaccine which is meant to benefit me (particularly at my age) and will be of the belief that is has been tested and licenced according to specific and rigid rules.

Looking forward to the day I get the jab as the alternative, for me, isn't a rosy one. 

• Like 1

Bad luck for some...

Brazil suspends trials of China's Sinovac coronavirus vaccine, citing 'serious adverse event'

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/brazil-suspends-china-vaccine-trials-intl-hnk/index.html

...Pausing a clinical trial is not unusual. In September, drug giant AstraZeneca paused global trials of its coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers.

Last month, Sao Paulo Governor Joao Doria had called CoronaVac "the safest, the one with the best and most promising rates" among all the vaccines tested in Brazil, after Butantan Institute said that the vaccine had proved to be safe in a trial involving 9,000 volunteers, according to Reuters.

Sinovac is also conducting Phase 3 trials in Indonesia and Turkey. Sinovac did not immediately responded to CNN's request for further comment.

Just last month, Chinese officials and vaccine developers declared that no serious side effects had been observed or reported in the clinical trials of any of China's rapidly produced vaccines. China currently has four coronavirus vaccines in Phase 3 clinical trials, mostly conducted in developing countries across the world...

9 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Personally I think the vaccine roll out will be a great day as this virus is unlikely to go away anytime soon.  What has been good about the last 6 months, basically nothing.

I lost my job, loads of people unemployed, unable to fly to basically anywhere without issue, can't really go to Thailand without huge cost, governments all offering differing lock downs and plans to lessen the virus transmission and mostly just delaying the inevitable. Need to follow draconian rules in wearing masks and restrictions in movement, pubs opening, pubs closing, Christmas meal with family up in the air, not knowing when life will get back to a resemblance of normal.   

Still thousands being infected every day and no end in sight until a vaccine is available, that seems now to be a reality and yet we are discussing whether the vaccine will be beneficial. The companies offering these vaccines must have had rigorous testing before announcing the efficacy.

It is likely that many countries (especially ones members here might want to visit) will start allowing only tourists in that can prove they have had a vaccine so it's benefit both in medical terms and freedom terms (excuse the pun) are likely to see many taking the vaccine to carry on their lives as best as they can and to allow them to travel where they want.

I have never ever had a vaccination whereby I have questioned if it is really beneficial for me, I have just accepted its recommendation.  I will no doubt have no issue in receiving a vaccine which is meant to benefit me (particularly at my age) and will be of the belief that is has been tested and licenced according to specific and rigid rules.

Looking forward to the day I get the jab as the alternative, for me, isn't a rosy one. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I have just one word...... Thalidomide.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Bad luck for some...

Brazil suspends trials of China's Sinovac coronavirus vaccine, citing 'serious adverse event'

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/brazil-suspends-china-vaccine-trials-intl-hnk/index.html

...Pausing a clinical trial is not unusual. In September, drug giant AstraZeneca paused global trials of its coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers.

Last month, Sao Paulo Governor Joao Doria had called CoronaVac "the safest, the one with the best and most promising rates" among all the vaccines tested in Brazil, after Butantan Institute said that the vaccine had proved to be safe in a trial involving 9,000 volunteers, according to Reuters.

Sinovac is also conducting Phase 3 trials in Indonesia and Turkey. Sinovac did not immediately responded to CNN's request for further comment.

Just last month, Chinese officials and vaccine developers declared that no serious side effects had been observed or reported in the clinical trials of any of China's rapidly produced vaccines. China currently has four coronavirus vaccines in Phase 3 clinical trials, mostly conducted in developing countries across the world...

Sinovac's vaccine is an "inactivated virus" vaccine. You culture live virus in cells then inactivate the virus with formaldehyde, purify and that's what you inject. It's how current influenza vaccines are made.

It is probably the simplest method of making a vaccine. On the other hand, the Cutter Incident...

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio
vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were
reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be
abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based
family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying
degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

Good to see that a vaccine is close.... but really.... the handling of this virus has been the biggest overkill the world has seen.

Inept handling by the Govts.... alarmist decisions made.... decisions made on "modelling" put up on whiteboards by so called "experts" along the lines of...all health systems/hospitals will be over run.... predicting what the death counts will be which have been far off the figures they alluded to..eg....Australia with the figure 150,000 deaths...etc...etc.

It will be interesting to see how things go when the vaccine is released.... or will the decision be...we better lockdown everyone again to make sure the vaccine works...I would not be surprised if they do so.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 1

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I have just one word...... Thalidomide.

Well as I am not likely to get pregnant I won't worry too much. 

Safeguards are much more stringent today and that drug is now approved for the correct medical symptoms.

I think they still need to look at this vaccine for any severe side effects in pregnancy but there are many who should be able to take the vaccine without overly worrying such as myself.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Well as I am not likely to get pregnant I won't worry too much. 

Safeguards are much more stringent today and that drug is now approved for the correct medical symptoms.

I think they still need to look at this vaccine for any severe side effects in pregnancy but there are many who should be able to take the vaccine without overly worrying such as myself.

I don't disagree with your sentiments, I'm just saying we cant blindly trust the drug companies when there is so much money at stake. I do agree that the only way out of this is via a vaccine and testing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't disagree with your sentiments, I'm just saying we cant blindly trust the drug companies when there is so much money at stake. I do agree that the only way out of this is via a vaccine and testing.  

I think we just differ in our views; I do not think we are blindly trusting the drug companies. I for one believe enough effort, testing and controls have been put in place to ensure this is a better option than doing nothing. 47,000 people across all ages from 12 to 80 were tested, the only issue to me is the ratio across those age groups and the fact that the drug still needs to be licenced.

I haven't read anything negative about these companies, in fact I think they have come up with the way forward and I have no issue with being vaccinated.

Let's be honest there are some who will never believe vaccination is something they should have, I am not that person and I, for one, believe this is a positive that should lead to our way of life finding some normality when the alternative is very depressing.

Let's give it a chance instead of always trying to find the negative in everything, had enough of that sitting on a bar stool in Pattaya, very irritating.

• Like 1

I have a genuine question, if anyone knows or has info. 

Was the vaccine in question tested on the elderly and or those at high risk, as part of the overall numbers of men and women who took part in the trials??? 

The reason I am wondering, is because, if there were to be any negative side effects, just as where those groups are more vulnerable in developing serious symptoms from C19, could something similar happen to those vaccinated? Sorry if that doesn't make perfect sense, I could have worded it better 

11 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Was the vaccine in question tested on the elderly and or those at high risk, as part of the overall numbers of men and women who took part in the trials??? 

If you class over 70 as elderly then yes, I believe they did.

Edited by boydeste

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

The reason I am wondering, is because, if there were to be any negative side effects, just as where those groups are more vulnerable in developing serious symptoms from C19, could something similar happen to those vaccinated? Sorry if that doesn't make perfect sense, I could have worded it better 

If you're talking about the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine candidate

Age groups 12-85 were included in the study.

The following were excluded from phase 1 of the trial

Phase 1 only: Individuals at high risk for severe COVID-19, including those with any of the following risk factors:

• Hypertension
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Chronic pulmonary disease
  • Asthma
  • Current vaping or smoking
  • History of chronic smoking within the prior year
  • BMI >30 kg/m2
  • Anticipating the need for immunosuppressive treatment within the next 6 months

Bit hard to work out if they were included in subsequent phases.

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728?term=pfizer&cond=Covid19&draw=2&rank=1

I know a guy on Khao San Road... 😉 ... (entire article posted due to firewall)

Tourists are buying fake covid-19 test results on the black market to travel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/11/10/fake-tests-covid-flights/?itid=lk_fullstory

With global coronavirus cases rising, many countries are now requiring negative coronavirus test results for entry, but getting a test in time can be difficult for travelers.

So it may have been only a matter of time before a black-market option emerged: counterfeit test results. The practice of forging or purchasing fake results has surfaced in destinations around the world, with instances of manipulated negatives in Brazil, France and the United Kingdom.

Last week, French officials broke up an alleged forgery ring that was selling false test certificates at Paris’s Charles de Gaulle Airport. According to the Associated Press, the group was asking $180 to $360 (150 to 300 euros) for the digital certificates of a negative result.

Police charged the group of seven (six men and one woman) with forgery and fraud after investigating how an Ethiopia-bound passenger acquired a false coronavirus document at the airport in September. The fake certificates were stored on mobile phones and had the name of a medical lab located in Paris, the BBC reported.

Police in Brazil recently arrested four domestic travelers who forged negative coronavirus tests to visit the island of Fernando de Noronha on a private jet, according to the Associated Press. The island, which is known as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, reopened to tourists on Oct. 10 and requires entrants to present negative coronavirus test results acquired no more than one day in advance.

According to a U.K. newspaper, the practice has also surfaced in England: The Lancashire Telegraph reported speaking with one man who doctored a friend’s negative coronavirus test, printed it out and used it for international travel. The newspaper also spoke to another traveler who was offered a fake document from their travel agent.

As test-result protocols for travel are becoming more high-tech, however, it’s unlikely that many travelers would be able to travel with a manipulated document. The state of Hawaii, for example, requires visitors to preregister in their online testing program, use an approved testing partner, and upload results to a digital portal. Paper copies are not accepted.

A new app called CommonPass launched last month for passengers on United Airlines and Cathay Pacific Airways to upload their coronavirus test results directly to their airline for verification when flying through some airports. The health-screening app aims to decrease global reliance on quarantines by centralizing a traveler’s coronavirus status and documents for easy access by airlines and their destinations. The app is on a trial run and is available only to passengers flying to or from New York, London, Hong Kong and Singapore.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

11 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I know someome who is 68 who is currently 1/500 on a trial for one of the vaccines .

He has to go for the checks/ vaccine at exactly the same time and has so far had no side affects , but 250 of the 500 are Placebo's and he has no idea (unless he gets Covid in the meantime) if he has been having the Placebo.

• Like 3

New treatment for Covid-19 approved (in the US).

bamlanivimab

by the time you can pronounce it correctly you're either over it or dead.

(The "mab" at the end stands for monoclonal antibody)

Edited by fygjam