COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

16 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Coronavirus in America looks like its getting out of control..and the latino community in el paso are really suffering. Obesity and the virus dont mix 

Yes obesity is one factor once the disease is contracted.

But it's more complicated that just that...people & the local government did not take the infection risk seriously enough...left everything open...did not send a clear message to the community...relied on "personal responsibility"...to control the disease.

As Hospitalizations Soar, El Paso Brings In New Mobile Morgues
The nation hit a record number of coronavirus hospitalizations on Tuesday. The feared third wave has left cities like El Paso struggling with overloaded I.C.U. wards and scarce staffing.

...Local leaders clashed over what to do to quell the spiraling coronavirus crisis. The top county official ordered a lockdown and curfew. But the mayor disagreed, and the police said they would not enforce it. Then the state attorney general weighed in — a lockdown was unnecessary and illegal, he said.

And the patients kept coming.

El Paso, a border city of 680,000, now has more people hospitalized with Covid-19 than most states — 1,076 as of Tuesday — and is more than doubling its supply of mobile morgues, to 10 from four...

"The majority of infections in El Paso have come, health officials said, from local community transmission, especially within multigenerational families who often live together or come together frequently to shop or visit."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/us/coronavirus-hospitalizations-el-paso-texas.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=US News

. . .

Photo: Tents set up behind the University Medical Center are to help relieve the emergency department as hospitals in El Paso County continue to be overwhelmed with patients due to a surge in coronavirus cases.

Credit...Joel Angel Juarez for The New York Times

merlin_179157288_058f2b57-f5de-49b5-9666-8c5ba6e31c2b-jumbo.jpg

• Great Info 1

32 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yes obesity is one factor once the disease is contracted.

But it's more complicated that just that...people & the local government did not take the infection risk seriously enough...left everything open...did not send a clear message to the community...relied on "personal responsibility"...to control the disease.

As Hospitalizations Soar, El Paso Brings In New Mobile Morgues
The nation hit a record number of coronavirus hospitalizations on Tuesday. The feared third wave has left cities like El Paso struggling with overloaded I.C.U. wards and scarce staffing.

...Local leaders clashed over what to do to quell the spiraling coronavirus crisis. The top county official ordered a lockdown and curfew. But the mayor disagreed, and the police said they would not enforce it. Then the state attorney general weighed in — a lockdown was unnecessary and illegal, he said.

And the patients kept coming.

El Paso, a border city of 680,000, now has more people hospitalized with Covid-19 than most states — 1,076 as of Tuesday — and is more than doubling its supply of mobile morgues, to 10 from four...

"The majority of infections in El Paso have come, health officials said, from local community transmission, especially within multigenerational families who often live together or come together frequently to shop or visit."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/us/coronavirus-hospitalizations-el-paso-texas.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=US News

. . .

Photo: Tents set up behind the University Medical Center are to help relieve the emergency department as hospitals in El Paso County continue to be overwhelmed with patients due to a surge in coronavirus cases.

Credit...Joel Angel Juarez for The New York Times

merlin_179157288_058f2b57-f5de-49b5-9666-8c5ba6e31c2b-jumbo.jpg

Its bloody awful..so much sadness 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Washedup said:

@lazarus anywhere in America in lockdown at the moment?

Depends on the definition of "lockdown." It varies from place to place (i.e., by city, county, state). Some places are wide open with no "restriction." Other places have been adjusting closures with the infection rate trends.

Where I live (in San Francisco, California) they just started to re-mandate business closures (i.e., indoor dining, bars, etc.) as the Covid infection rate is rising.  Most schools are closed (since mid-March). Office have been closed. There is a "shelter in place" order since early March (basically "stay home).

That being the case, shops are open, outside dining is open, parks are open, etc. I have a feeling that it (other than "essential" businesses) will start to close again if things get bad (we've been lucky so far with proactive measures).

Medical authorities are worried about the Thanksgiving holiday as people travel and celebrate with their families. Most transmissions come from indoor dining and extended family interactions (with asymptomatic Covid carriers).

. . .

I was reading this just last night...

Bay Area coronavirus surge could mean a huge reopening reversal as soon as next week

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-coronavirus-surge-could-mean-a-huge-15717889.php

Edited by lazarus
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Washedup said:

@lazarus anywhere in America in lockdown at the moment?

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Depends on the definition of "lockdown." It varies from place to place (i.e., by city, county, state). Some places are wide open with no "restriction." Other places have been adjusting closures with the infection rate trends.

Where I live (in San Francisco, California) they just started to re-mandate business closures (i.e., indoor dining, bars, etc.) as the Covid infection rate is rising.  Most schools are closed (since mid-March). Office have been closed. There is a "shelter in place" order since early March (basically "stay home).

That being the case, shops are open, outside dining is open, parks are open, etc. I have a feeling that it (other than "essential" businesses) will start to close again if things get bad (we've been lucky so far with proactive measures).

Medical authorities are worried about the Thanksgiving holiday as people travel and celebrate with their families. Most transmissions come from indoor dining and extended family interactions (with asymptomatic Covid carriers).

. . .

I was reading this just last night...

Bay Area coronavirus surge could mean a huge reopening reversal as soon as next week

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-coronavirus-surge-could-mean-a-huge-15717889.php

Just to the North of you, in Sonoma County, we remain in the highest tier, which is purple. No indoor dining, no indoor bars, but for the most part things remain normal with the shelter in place orders. I'm an essential worker, so allowed to roam freely. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

First Cruise Back in Caribbean Has COVID-19 Case On Board

Passengers are locked down on board the SeaDream 1 cruise ship after a passenger had tested positive for COVID-19.

The cruise is the first to take place in the Caribbean, the world’s top cruise destination, since pandemic lockdowns were put in place back in March

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-on-caribbean-cruise-ship/

As I said, better get used to live with this thing.........

• Like 1

I defended the overkill in precautions just the other day, but another indication the figures are being exaggerated beyond (my) belief.

The Principality Stadium is currently being decommisioned as a field hospital.  It is the only one of 17 in Wales to be used, and treated 46 patients, a tiny fraction of its 2,000 bed capacity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54907692

12 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

First Cruise Back in Caribbean Has COVID-19 Case On Board

Passengers are locked down on board the SeaDream 1 cruise ship after a passenger had tested positive for COVID-19.

The cruise is the first to take place in the Caribbean, the world’s top cruise destination, since pandemic lockdowns were put in place back in March

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-on-caribbean-cruise-ship/

As I said, better get used to live with this thing.........

There are loads of empty cruise liners moored in a bay a few miles from us at the moment. They’ve been there for most of the year. I think the most it’s been at one time was 9 huge liners!
Can’t understand why anyone would go on a cruise with C19 still rife in the world, especially after what happened to those passengers who got stuck on several liners for months while passengers on board were dropping like flies. 

3347BC2E-51B7-41CD-B0FE-C8D099122357.jpeg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

There are loads of empty cruise liners moored in a bay a few miles from us at the moment. They’ve been there for most of the year. I think the most it’s been at one time was 9 huge liners!
Can’t understand why anyone would go on a cruise with C19 still rife in the world, especially after what happened to those passengers who got stuck on several liners for months while passengers on board were dropping like flies. 

3347BC2E-51B7-41CD-B0FE-C8D099122357.jpeg

Exactly I'd also like to know what ages groups are going on board..crazy

I must admit, that this second lockdown is getting to me. 

I am getting that Groundhog day experience. 

I am finding myself doing pointless expeditions to places that I don't need to visit as an excuse just to keep mobile. 

I am drinking far more than I used to, and having to discipline myself not to have any alcohol before 5pm. 

I have to constantly keep in mind, that there are lots of people worse off than myself right now. 

I am going to look for some volunteer work online, that doesn't involve face to face contact of any kind of public transport 

Just before the Pandemic, I was all set to DJ at the Royal Marsden, where I had my cancer treatment 14 months ago, but of course,that has fallen by the wayside as non essential 

Any ideas as to what voluntary work I could do, would be welcome, that in which does not put me at risk of catching the virus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I am finding myself doing pointless expeditions to places that I don't need to visit as an excuse just to keep mobile. 

I am drinking far more than I used to, and having to discipline myself not to have any alcohol before 5pm. 

I have to constantly keep in mind, that there are lots of people worse off than myself right now. 

I am going to look for some volunteer work online, that doesn't involve face to face contact of any kind of public transport 

Just before the Pandemic, I was all set to DJ at the Royal Marsden, where I had my cancer treatment 14 months ago, but of course,that has fallen by the wayside as non essential 

Any ideas as to what voluntary work I could do, would be welcome, that in which does not put me at risk of catching the virus. 

Become a fluffer at the YMCA?

Moderna reports this morning that their Vaccine is proven to be 95% effective, some good news, stock market is liking it. 

In San Jose, Calif here we are going to feel the effects of another "tier" starting Tuesday. 

Oh please don't shut down the Viet Coffee shops LOL! 

IMG 1336.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Moderna reports this morning that their Vaccine is proven to be 95% effective, some good news, stock market is liking it. 

In San Jose, Calif here we are going to feel the effects of another "tier" starting Tuesday. 

Oh please don't shut down the Viet Coffee shops LOL! 

IMG 1336.jpg

I bet they will deliver... 😉

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Don't be too hard on yourself, I treated myself to a pointless shopping expedition this afternoon- looking around I was far from the only one.

It is a tedious, frustrating time but it will pass😁

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Don't be too hard on yourself, I treated myself to a pointless shopping expedition this afternoon- looking around I was far from the only one.

It is a tedious, frustrating time but it will pass😁

Roll on 2021 it's got to be better than 2020 surely 

• Thumbs Up 1