COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, (US) CDC now says

Most coronavirus infections are spread by people who have no symptoms, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in newly updated guidance.

It's one of the main reasons mask use is so important, the CDC said.

"Most SARS-CoV-2 infections are spread by people without symptoms," the agency said in a section of its website devoted to explaining the science of how to use masks to control the spread of the virus.

"CDC and others estimate that more than 50% of all infections are transmitted from people who are not exhibiting symptoms," it added in the guidance posted Friday.

"This means at least half of new infections come from people likely unaware they are infectious to others."

According to the CDC, 24% of people who transmit the virus to others never develop symptoms and another 35% were pre-symptomatic. It also said 41% infected others while experiencing symptoms.

Peak infectiousness comes five days after infection, the agency said on the website. "With these assumptions, 59% of infections would be transmitted when no symptoms are present but could range (from) 51%-70% if the fraction of asymptomatic infections were 24%-30% and peak infectiousness ranged 4-6 days."...

. . .

The implications of silent transmission for the control of COVID-19 outbreaks

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/30/17513

• Great Info 1

57 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, (US) CDC now says

Most coronavirus infections are spread by people who have no symptoms, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in newly updated guidance.

It's one of the main reasons mask use is so important, the CDC said.

"Most SARS-CoV-2 infections are spread by people without symptoms," the agency said in a section of its website devoted to explaining the science of how to use masks to control the spread of the virus.

"CDC and others estimate that more than 50% of all infections are transmitted from people who are not exhibiting symptoms," it added in the guidance posted Friday.

"This means at least half of new infections come from people likely unaware they are infectious to others."

According to the CDC, 24% of people who transmit the virus to others never develop symptoms and another 35% were pre-symptomatic. It also said 41% infected others while experiencing symptoms.

Peak infectiousness comes five days after infection, the agency said on the website. "With these assumptions, 59% of infections would be transmitted when no symptoms are present but could range (from) 51%-70% if the fraction of asymptomatic infections were 24%-30% and peak infectiousness ranged 4-6 days."...

. . .

The implications of silent transmission for the control of COVID-19 outbreaks

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/30/17513

Vaccine cant come soon enough 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, boydeste said:

The vaccination will be a game changer for sure, how different countries will respond to it remains to be seen, but it would be nonsensical to guess how the Thai government will react given some of the rquirements recently for visas methinks.

I'd hazard a guess if you can prove a vaccine you're in (same as most countries post vaccine)

Can't wait till that time like everyone back in the West I've had enough of this shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some interesting facts from reputable sources like ONS, The Spectator, NHS England etc. 

Over a 5 year period, 2015 until 2019, the average number of people in a critical care bed during November is lower this year than the 5 years previously. 

Over the same 5 year period, the average number of deaths for week 44 of the year was only 26 a week less than this year. 

Currently only 13% of hospital beds have Covid patients and 31% of critical care beds have them. 

On 5th November 2020 there were 1293 less patients in hospital beds than the average November day last year. 

Nightingale hospitals have never been more than 1.23% of patients capacity. 

95.6% of COVID-19 deaths were people with pre existing serious medical issues. 

Keep drinking the Governments Kool Aid. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

Some interesting facts from reputable sources like ONS, The Spectator, NHS England etc. 

Over a 5 year period, 2015 until 2019, the average number of people in a critical care bed during November is lower this year than the 5 years previously. 

Over the same 5 year period, the average number of deaths for week 44 of the year was only 26 a week less than this year. 

Currently only 13% of hospital beds have Covid patients and 31% of critical care beds have them. 

On 5th November 2020 there were 1293 less patients in hospital beds than the average November day last year. 

Loads of similar info out there its unreal when you look deeply into it.

Can't see us being able to travel without the vaccine though and if that what it takes to get some kind of a life back including concerts, the football etc etc I'll go for it.

We took worse shit  any given weekend back in the day and I'm still here to tell the tale 🙃 Lol

Deffo more to it though .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, roomark said:

Loads of similar info out there its unreal when you look deeply into it.

Can't see us being able to travel without the vaccine though and if that what it takes to get some kind of a life back including concerts, the football etc etc I'll go for it.

We took worse shit  any given weekend back in the day and I'm still here to tell the tale 🙃 Lol

Deffo more to it though .

School dinners of the 70s..acid early 90s and I'm still here 👍

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 5

USA getting hit hard right now with Covid infections - right before the historically "biggest travel day of the year" -- Thanksgiving holiday. Many people are in denial that Covid-19 is dangerous -- still believing the "official" line of the outgoing government. 

Capture.JPG

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Deaths in every state of the country are higher than they would be in a normal year, according to an analysis of estimates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data show how the coronavirus pandemic, which is peaking in many states, is bringing with it unusual patterns of death, higher than the official totals of deaths that have been directly linked to the virus.

Deaths nationwide were 18 percent higher than normal from March 15 to Nov. 7. Altogether, the analysis shows that 326,000 more people than normal have died in the United States during that period, a number that may be an undercount since recent death statistics are still being updated...

Edited by lazarus
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

The travel restrictions and no sport being played in itself has saved many lives and broken limbs, especially at the weekends. Our local A and E used to be rammed at a weekend with injuries from sports and fights alone.

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

26 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The travel restrictions and no sport being played in itself has saved many lives and broken limbs, especially at the weekends. Our local A and E used to be rammed at a weekend with injuries from sports and fights alone.

Huh... no sport being played there.... so the England v Ireland game I am watching is on a "virtual" channel...555

cheers

• Surprised 1

34 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Catch Covid, save the NHS. 

New government slogan. 👍

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, roobob said:

Huh... no sport being played there.... so the England v Ireland game I am watching is on a "virtual" channel...555

cheers

We are currently in a months lockdown, no sport being played, no pubs open, restrictive, essential travel only, etc. International sport has little impact to our local hospital beds.

Living in Wales we are not in a lockdown and yet since we opened up I have not been to a pub so I know should pubs ever close it won't be a major issue to me.  In fact I have only had 3 pints in the last 3 weeks although I will add to that tonight.

Family are the things that keep me plodding along, a holiday would be nice but my health and peace of mind at my age are so front and centre presently.

This vaccine will be a blessing for us and it might actually see me booking a family trip back to Thailand for next year, I am being advised that my turn for the vaccine at 65 years old might be sometime in January.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

We are currently in a months lockdown, no sport being played, no pubs open, restrictive, essential travel only, etc. International sport has little impact to our local hospital beds.

Was not the England v Ireland Rugby match not played at Twickenham last night??? So is London not effected by the lockdown then??

cheers

16 minutes ago, roobob said:

Was not the England v Ireland Rugby match not played at Twickenham last night??? So is London not effected by the lockdown then??

The sports that are being played have strict protocols in place to keep their players in a Covid free "bubble".  Even if they were injured, they wouldn't be going to the local A&E.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KWA said:

The sports that are being played have strict protocols in place to keep their players in a Covid free "bubble".  Even if they were injured, they wouldn't be going to the local A&E.

So sport is still being played in London..... thanks for that.

If someone did get badly injured...thank goodness they did not... so where would they take them if not to the nearest A&E?

cheers

2 hours ago, roobob said:

If someone did get badly injured...thank goodness they did not... so where would they take them if not to the nearest A&E?

cheers

I think hospital A & E departments are pretty well sorted re Covid by now so even if they did go there it shouldn't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KWA said:

I think most people will comprehend that the odd sporting event that is taking place during the lockdown because of the bubbles they have created, has no impact to the thousands of hospital beds that are free as stated in galenkia's initial post.

I will add that once the restrictions are removed and the vaccine has been dished out,  I think those beds will quickly be filled up with the thousands of people that have not been able to get treatment during covid times, ie cancer patients.

That is the sad reality of where we currently are methinks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roobob said:

cheers

Most international sports stars would be admitted to a private hospital for treatment should they have the need, which has no bearing on the beds that Galenkia mentioned in his post which we are discussing!

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Most international sports stars would be admitted to a private hospital for treatment should they have the need, which has no bearing on the beds that Galenkia mentioned in his post which we are discussing!

Can only speak to horse racing, but before that was allowed to take place, every racecourse  had agreements in place with a "local" private hospital.

This remains the case so zero impact on the NHS.  

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, roobob said:

Can't give you the specific arrangements for there, but the equivalent where I am can be seen here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/BT+Murrayfield+Stadium,+Roseburn+St,+Edinburgh+EH12+5PJ,+United+Kingdom/Spire+Murrayfield+Hospital,+Edinburgh,+122+Corstorphine+Rd,+Edinburgh+EH12+6UD,+United+Kingdom/@55.9405833,-3.2673268,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4887c65417739d0d:0x8d2f9e9f766f3af5!2m2!1d-3.2409281!2d55.9422432!1m5!1m1!1s0x4887c667147b192b:0xb1d9b3b7fb074d9f!2m2!1d-3.2659376!2d55.9441318!3e0

Spire Hospital is a private hospital.

• Thanks 1

The two main unknowns right now are how long the immune response created by the vaccines will last, and although they're evidently quite good at stopping the symptoms of C19 from developing, their effect on peoples' ability to transmit the virus is still unclear.

This is a good take on the matter by Rod Liddle in yesterday's Sunday Times. It seems that the over-85's are now living longer than they did before the pandemic, due to all the sanitary precautions they are taking stopping other infections from killing them, I haven't heard that before. 

The_Sunday_Times(2020-11-22)_page22.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1