COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Depends what's wrong with the patient.My missus was due to have an op via BUPA in a Spire hospital but then they discovered that she has Brugada Syndrome & needed ICU.No ICU in any of the Spire hospitals around here & we're pretty close to London.She had the op in an NHS hospital.

Also after I had my appendix out at Spire Bushy with keyhole surgery one of the holes went septic so I went back to Spire Bushey,it was a weekend & it was like a ghost town.Luckily for me there was one consultant there who cut away the bad stuff otherwise it would've been A & E at Watford General.

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Depends what's wrong with the patient.My missus was due to have an op via BUPA in a Spire hospital but then they discovered that she has Brugada Syndrome & needed ICU.No ICU in any of the Spire hospitals around here & we're pretty close to London.She had the op in an NHS hospital.

Also after I had my appendix out at Spire Bushy with keyhole surgery one of the holes went septic so I went back to Spire Bushey,it was a weekend & it was like a ghost town.Luckily for me there was one consultant there who cut away the bad stuff otherwise it would've been A & E at Watford General.

Edited by coxyhog
Double post can an admin delete one pls?

55 minutes ago, fygjam said:

What I am hearing on TV is that it is 70% effective, but can be 90% if a low dose of vaccine is given followed by a larger dose.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

The two main unknowns right now are how long the immune response created by the vaccines will last, and although they're evidently quite good at stopping the symptoms of C19 from developing, their effect on peoples' ability to transmit the virus is still unclear.

This is a good take on the matter by Rod Liddle in yesterday's Sunday Times. It seems that the over-85's are now living longer than they did before the pandemic, due to all the sanitary precautions they are taking stopping other infections from killing them, I haven't heard that before. 

The_Sunday_Times(2020-11-22)_page22.pdf 1.67 MB · 0 downloads

It's an interesting article, I'd agree with a fair bit of it.

On the over-85's that his own inference, rather than an opinion backed any evidence, he may be right though🙂

I'd agree with him that the French rationale for who should get the vaccine first, and then in which order makes far more sense than the UK's.

Front line health staff & care workers has to be a gimme but at that point? I'd want to lean toward those that the most contacts with others.

On a different note: I'm  amazed to say an excellent interview with Gary Neville on Sky News this morning (no link yet or I'd post)

The main gist of his argument, was we (focus on business & hospitality ), need a well thought out plan to open up and operate for the next 3 months. Rather than the UK Government's proposed 5 day COVID Xmas party followed by more lockdowns

Things are badly wrong when an ex footballer sounds like he'd to a better job of running the country than the Prime Minister😄

• Like 1

In the pipeline

Derek Lowe's commentary on drug discovery and the pharma industry. An editorially independent blog from the publishers of Science Translational Medicine. 

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/

. . .

CLINICAL TRIALS
More Vaccine Data, in Advance of More Efficacy

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/19/more-vaccine-data-in-advance-of-more-efficacy

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

35B95AFC-2FCF-4557-8369-2BC74DD6859B.jpeg

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I think that is bound to happen

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

A no brainer methinks!

I am less sure!

I thought the vaccine stopped the vaccinated person suffering the symptoms of the virus, not necessarily stopped the vaccinated person passing on the virus; the jury was still out on whether the various vaccines can stop someone carrying the virus.

Even if a vaccine does, with it not being 100% effective, there is still a chance that a vaccinated person could be carrying the virus.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I am less sure!

I thought the vaccine stopped the vaccinated person suffering the symptoms of the virus, not necessarily stopped the vaccinated person passing on the virus; the jury was still out on whether the various vaccines can stop someone carrying the virus.

Even if a vaccine does, with it not being 100% effective, there is still a chance that a vaccinated person could be carrying the virus.

You make a fair point, but I still think it will be mandatory for International travel.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boydeste said:

You make a fair point, but I still think it will be mandatory for International travel.

I'm not sure....

Personally I think the days of the 30day stamp on arrival in Thailand are over for some time. I'm not sure the Thai govt will be entirely interested in whether tourists have been vaccinated.  IMO,  the Thai govt will be reluctant to allow any sort of mass tourism until they have vaccinated the majority of their (thai) population,  and even then I think tourists will need to apply for a visa through your local embassy, and part of this will involve a covid insurance policy.

This will mean that IF a tourist enters the country carrying the virus, the locals are protected as they've been vacillated,  and the tourist will be able to pay for any treatment they might need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Painter said:

I'm not sure....

Personally I think the days of the 30day stamp on arrival in Thailand are over for some time. I'm not sure the Thai govt will be entirely interested in whether tourists have been vaccinated.  IMO,  the Thai govt will be reluctant to allow any sort of mass tourism until they have vaccinated the majority of their (thai) population,  and even then I think tourists will need to apply for a visa through your local embassy, and part of this will involve a covid insurance policy.

This will mean that IF a tourist enters the country carrying the virus, the locals are protected as they've been vacillated,  and the tourist will be able to pay for any treatment they might need.

What will be required for International flights and entry into Thailand are two separate issues methinks!

I don't disagree with anything you say as regards entry.

Got yer Code yet..?

. . .

China's Xi Jinping is pushing for a global Covid QR code. He may struggle to convince the world

Hong Kong -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is pushing for a global Covid-19 tracking system using QR codes, to help fast-track international travel and business during the coronavirus pandemic.

China mandated the widespread use of QR-based health certificates earlier this year. The system, which uses an electronic barcode to store a person's travel and health history, has been credited with helping to curb the spread of the virus.

The code issues users with a color code based on their potential exposure to the novel coronavirus. The colors are like traffic lights -- green is safest, then amber and finally red.

Speaking at the virtual G20 leaders' meeting on Saturday, Xi said that to ensure the "smooth functioning" of the world economy during the pandemic, countries needed to coordinate a uniform set of policies and standards, according to state-run news agency Xinhua.

"China has proposed a global mechanism on the mutual recognition of health certificates based on nucleic acid test results in the form of internationally accepted QR codes. We hope more countries will join this mechanism," Xi said...

"For travel to approach anything like it was prior to Covid, then some kind of international standard that is easy to obtain, easy to use, secure, and protective of privacy will be necessary," he said.

The main problem of any international coronavirus app would be maintaining the privacy of the data, said Raina MacIntyre, head of the Biosecurity Research Program at the University of New South Wales' Kirby Institute.

MacIntyre suggested that a central database of information managed by the World Health Organization or a United Nations agency might be the least controversial way of creating a Covid tracking app.

"(But) will individuals consent to another government that isn't their own government accessing their data? That may be the price to pay for travel," she said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/23/asia/china-xi-qr-code-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by lazarus

Does the following make ANY sense to you?

My daughter telephones me from her home in East Calder yesterday which is a few miles outside of Edinburgh and being in West Lothian subect as from last Friday to the highest Level 4 Covid19 restrictions. There has been a big secondary infection rate in W Lothian.

Not quite a full lock down as the Schools are still open which is particularly relevent to Karen as she is a teacher.

I asked how my 9 year old Grandson (Morgan) is getting on to be told he is well pissed off as no more weekly football matches and he was voted "man of the match" the last two weeks in a row. 🤣

Karen then informs me that one of the boys in his class has tested positive to Covid19 but without symptoms. It is thought at least one of his parents has proved positive.

I asked if they tested Morgan and all the other children in his class. No, said Karen the policy is only to test children who are showing symptoms!

So we have one child who was tested positive but not showing any symptoms who could have been infecting others in the class who themselves may not be showing any symptoms???

I then asked if they were conducting any kind of social distancing to be advised that they had moved all the desks of the children closest to the boy who proved positive so there is a gap between them and the other children in the classroom.

WHAT?

What about when they have a break and are all together in the playground?

Karen tells me the "segregated" kids in the classroom have to go to another playground!!

This seems absolutely crazy to me!

Surely the logical step is to immediately test all the children in the class if not the whole school?

As an afterthought I asked if the teachers had been tested. Again, "No" was the answer unless they were showing symptoms.

16 hours ago, Bazle said:

What I am hearing on TV is that it is 70% effective, but can be 90% if a low dose of vaccine is given followed by a larger dose.

Both articles make that clear, but the headline writers must have different agendas.

• Like 1

fyi...

Why the AstraZeneca-Oxford Covid-19 vaccine is different

AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford say their vaccine is up to 90 percent effective. But there’s a lot we still don’t know.

...The researchers aren’t sure why there was this striking gap in vaccine performance — and in a press conference, said that the half dose may better prime the immune system to respond to the second full vaccine. But the company also told Reuters the reason for the half dose was “serendipity” — essentially, trial participants were given a smaller dose by accident. And while it appears the accidental dosing regimen may have outperformed two full doses, independent researchers wondered about whether it was administered to enough people to know for sure. (More on that in a moment.)...

https://www.vox.com/21590994/oxford-vaccine-results-covid-19-astrazeneca-trial-pfizer-moderna

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jambo said:

Does the following make ANY sense to you?

My daughter telephones me from her home in East Calder yesterday which is a few miles outside of Edinburgh and being in West Lothian subect as from last Friday to the highest Level 4 Covid19 restrictions. There has been a big secondary infection rate in W Lothian.

Not quite a full lock down as the Schools are still open which is particularly relevent to Karen as she is a teacher.

I asked how my 9 year old Grandson (Morgan) is getting on to be told he is well pissed off as no more weekly football matches and he was voted "man of the match" the last two weeks in a row. 🤣

Karen then informs me that one of the boys in his class has tested positive to Covid19 but without symptoms. It is thought at least one of his parents has proved positive.

I asked if they tested Morgan and all the other children in his class. No, said Karen the policy is only to test children who are showing symptoms!

So we have one child who was tested positive but not showing any symptoms who could have been infecting others in the class who themselves may not be showing any symptoms???

I then asked if they were conducting any kind of social distancing to be advised that they had moved all the desks of the children closest to the boy who proved positive so there is a gap between them and the other children in the classroom.

WHAT?

What about when they have a break and are all together in the playground?

Karen tells me the "segregated" kids in the classroom have to go to another playground!!

This seems absolutely crazy to me!

Surely the logical step is to immediately test all the children in the class if not the whole school?

As an afterthought I asked if the teachers had been tested. Again, "No" was the answer unless they were showing symptoms.

I can only speak about England , but if the kids are in the same bubble (usually class) and they have been in contact with the kid who has tested positive they are sent home to self isolate for 14 days no way would they be allowed to stay at school.

If they show symptoms then get a test while they are off from school, either way they have to stay off if they have been in close contact.

• Thanks 1

I am a bit puzzled how we can prove we`ve been vaccinated before we travel, there is going to be a stampede to get away next summer, do you get a medical certificate when you have the jab?   I mean that's a logistical nightmare, I mean millions. and surely open to widespread forgery. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ukdave51 said:

I am a bit puzzled how we can prove we`ve been vaccinated before we travel, there is going to be a stampede to get away next summer, do you get a medical certificate when you have the jab?   I mean that's a logistical nightmare, I mean millions. and surely open to widespread forgery. 

Proof of vaccination (~90-95% effective) and a simple health check are not proof of being Covid "free" for traveling. Evidently Covid is widely spread by people who are asymptomatic. Some people could be vaccinated and unknowingly carry the disease.

Delivering and administering the vaccines will likely take at least a year to potentially have a positive global impact, i.e., the infection rate drops dramatically worldwide.

Travelers likely will continue to have multiple steps to obtain simple tourist visas (or entry stamps) for many countries, especially the Asian ones.

You think that Thailand will let foreigners in en masse before they themselves are all vaccinated?

Thais to get 1st Covid shots by mid-2021

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2024891/thais-to-get-1st-covid-shots-by-mid-2021

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ukdave51 said:

Years ago, if you wanted to travel to Australia (and you weren't an Australian citizen) you got a paper visa stuck in your passport by an Australian embassy or consulate.

Nowadays you just get a letter, nothing is stuck in your passport. But at check-in, part of the clickity-clack the check-in person does on their keyboard is to access the Australian visa database to see if a visa has been issued for the passport presented. 

I assume that other databases like known terrorists, no-fly etc also get accessed at the same time. So adding a "vaccination" database would be no big deal.

When you get your vaccination, if you want it for travel, you take your passport along and your passport gets added to the "vaccination" database.