COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

What really annoyed me was Boris left it until 8pm to announce school closures, which left no time for millions of working parents to organise child care.  
They must have known when the numbers soared up two weeks ago, that this was on the cards, but yet left the announcement until the last possible moment. 
Of course the C*** doesn’t have kids so it’s no problem for him. 😡

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, dcfc2007 said:

If Amazon were in charge of the vaccine rollout you can bet twice as many would have been vaccinated already. 

Now that's funny. 

Can't even get a pair of socks on time and I'm a Prime member! I'm suppose to count on them to get me a vaccine?

Sorry bud, but you do talk a load of shite.

Poor Buggers - Its now coming down to this -

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk
1h
Los Angeles County EMS tells ambulance crews not to transport patients with little chance of survival to hospitals and conserve the use of oxygen. Area ICUs are nearly full because of surging Covid-19 numbers.
https://cnn.it/3hIt0cZ

Well I'm glad this didn't appear in the New York Times or posting it would result in another bout of anti-NYT bashing.

In a joint statement released on Monday, Germany drug company BioNTech and its American partner Pfizer said there was "no data" to demonstrate that the protection offered by the first dose would be sustained after three weeks.

"The safety and efficacy of the vaccine has not been evaluated on different dosing schedules as the majority of trial participants received the second dose within the window specified in the study design," the companies said in a joint statement.

With Reuters

https://www.watoday.com.au/world/europe/pfizer-biontech-warn-uk-against-plans-to-delay-second-vaccine-jab-20210105-p56rqj.html

This is in response to "the other shoe dropping".

The first shoe was the updating in December of the UK guidelines for administering the Covid-19 vaccines. The update permitting the first and second doses to be vaccines of different manufacture.

The second shoe was the decision to increase the interval for receiving the second dose of vaccine from 3 weeks, as determined by the manufacturer based on clinical trial data, to 12 weeks based on someone's "expert opinion".

In my opinion, the update to the vaccination guidelines was necessary because, in another fluster cluck, those administering the vaccination program have absolutely no idea of which vaccines will be available in 12 weeks time.

Does this really matter.

The UK JCVI prioritizes recipients of the vaccines as

1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

It is scientifically proven, as opposed to "expert opinion", that a person's immune response wanes with age. That's why, in Australia, the old fart's flu vaccine (65's and older) is "supercharged" compared to the vaccine available to the general public.

So who are likely to have a reduced immune response to vaccination?

1. all those 80 years of age
  2. all those 75 years of age and over
  3. all those 70 years of age
  4. all those 65 years of age and over

Who are most likely to be on this 12 week mix 'n match schedule?

1. residents in a care home for older adults
  2. all those 80 years of age
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age
  5. all those 65 years of age and over

Would anyone really fly with an airline that arbitrarily quadrupled the mandatory service life of components so they could offer more flights?

• Great Info 1

23 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Well I'm glad this didn't appear in the New York Times or posting it would result in another bout of anti-NYT bashing.

You can't deny the article was much better written and less emotional than the NYT one, even if it contained much of the same information.  It even says Pfizer/BioNtech did not explicitly criticise the (UK) government's new approach which is telling.

Interesting additional information is that the German govt has asked it's disease agency to consider the same approach, so it seems like it's not just the crazy Brits that might want to stretch the boundaries if it benefits society overall.  I wonder if the NYT knew that when they wrote their particular Brit bashing piece?

17 minutes ago, KWA said:

You can't deny the article was much better written and less emotional than the NYT one, even if it contained much of the same information.  It even says Pfizer/BioNtech did not explicitly criticise the (UK) government's new approach which is telling.

Interesting additional information is that the German govt has asked it's disease agency to consider the same approach, so it seems like it's not just the crazy Brits that might want to stretch the boundaries if it benefits society overall.  I wonder if the NYT knew that when they wrote their particular Brit bashing piece?

Funny, I didn't consider the NYT article "emotional", just factual. Perhaps only emotional to thin skinned poms.

I think the BioNtech/Pfizer response, reading between the lines, says go off label without data as you will, our arse is covered.

Perhaps part of the German government believes in WAGs as well.

I do wonder the "overall benefit to society" if a number of half-vaccinated 80yo grannies contract Covid-19. Should benefit the anti-vax campaign tremendously though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Wondered for a moment if that Wives and Girlfriends but remembered you called it a Wild Arsed Guess.

There's been so much going on in the past couple of weeks on the COVID mismanagement front in the UK, on top of the festive period, that that UK Govs vaccine strategy has been slipped in with little critical scrutiny.

The UK's Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam was adamant that maximising the number of people who are given a single dose was the best approach, but as I recall did not produce any evidence as to why this was the case.

Chatting with friends, even some normal people I know are questioning whether they should have the vaccine due to their doubts over it's efficacy given the proposed approach.

It may be the UK's  Governments approach is right, and without any data to disprove their hypothesis, can't say that they are wrong.

But they need to come up with some data to validate their approach or people's trust will be lost.

Edited by Lemondropkid

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Wondered for a moment if that Wives and Girlfriends but remembered you called it a Wild Arsed Guess.

There are also SWAGs, Scientific WAGs, for the opinions of "experts" although again unsupported by data.

If WAGs and SWAGs are good enough now, why was 9 months wasted on clinical trails for the vaccines?

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

Funny, I didn't consider the NYT article "emotional", just factual. Perhaps only emotional to thin skinned poms.

I think the BioNtech/Pfizer response, reading between the lines, says go off label without data as you will, our arse is covered.

I do wonder the "overall benefit to society" if a number of half-vaccinated 80yo grannies contract Covid-19. Should benefit the anti-vax campaign tremendously though.

The NYT piece was an anti UK mud sling which it turns out they're well known for, and people should be aware of this.  Mud slinging has no part in professional reporting and thickness of skin makes no difference to this.

18 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Can't read it without a login and they want a credit card number for the free trial.

14 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Can't read it without a login and they want a credit card number for the free trial.

Angela Merkel came under fire on Monday after it emerged she intervened personally to block a bid by European health ministers to secure larger orders of coronavirus vaccine over the summer.

Public anger is growing across the continent at the European Union’s failure to order enough doses of the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine which was developed in Germany and manufactured in Belgium.

But it now appears Mrs Merkel blocked an initiative by the German, French, Italian and Dutch health ministers to order more stocks of  vaccine last summer.

Bild newspaper published a leaked letter from the four health ministers to Ursula von der Leyen in which they agreed to drop the initiative and hand over control of vaccine orders to the European Commission.

According to the newspaper, the letter was written under pressure from Mrs Merkel, who wanted to send a signal of solidarity at the start of Germany’s six-month EU presidency.

US pharmacist 'tampers with vaccine' - and is 'found to be a conspiracy theorist'

A pharmacist accused of intentionally sabotaging more than 500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine was "an admitted conspiracy theorist" according to police, the New York Times reports.

The man believed the vaccine could harm people and "change their DNA", say police in Grafton, Wisconsin.

Steven Brandenburg, 46, who worked the night shift at the Aurora Medical Center in Grafton, twice removed a box of vials of the Moderna vaccine from the refrigerator for periods of 12 hours, police claim.

This rendered them "useless".

30 minutes ago, Bazle said:

This is just the news we DON'T want:

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) - UK scientists expressed concern on Monday that COVID-19 vaccines being rolled out in Britain may not be able to protect against a new variant of the coronavirus that emerged in South Africa and has spread internationally.

So there's a UK variant, South African variant, and there already doubts about the effectiveness of the vaccines. 

its rather doubtful the virus won't mutate further isn't it? What's the answer going to be? Get jabs every year, every 6 months or worse? 

• Like 2

I have been told by my employer that I can now ring and make an appointment to receive my first dose of a vaccine, which one I will receive I am not sure. Been trying all day to get through with no joy, message keeps telling me how busy they are and to try again later. I qualify as an over 65 frontline worker.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1