COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Anyone on this forum older and male?

The coronavirus is most deadly if you are older and male — new data reveal the risks
A slew of detailed studies has now quantified the increased risk the virus poses to older people, men, and other groups.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02483-2

...The studies reveal that age is by far the strongest predictor of an infected person’s risk of dying — a metric known as the infection fatality ratio (IFR), which is the proportion of people infected with the virus, including those who didn’t get tested or show symptoms, who will die as a result.

“COVID-19 is not just hazardous for elderly people, it is extremely dangerous for people in their mid-fifties, sixties and seventies,” says Andrew Levin, an economist at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, who has estimated that getting COVID-19 is more than 50 times more likely to be fatal for a 60-year-old than is driving a car....

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

So has it now been determined that a vaccinated person cannot carry and pass on the virus? 

I would think that those countries may still require a certificate within 72 hours determining that you are not infected close to travel.  It also is a bonus that they might believe that you will not be a burden on their health system.

Got to start somewhere.

• Like 1

Well I have just done my third PCR test in ten days.

One in Dubai before flying to Kuwait.

One at Kuwait airport upon arrival.

One today at a government hospital. 

Both tests in Kuwait are free of charge, the one in Dubai cost me $32

Only now are the UK implementing the requirement of  negative PCR test before travel to the UK. No wonder the UK now has the worlds highest daily death rate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

The coronavirus is most deadly if you are older and male — new data reveal the risks
A slew of detailed studies has now quantified the increased risk the virus poses to older people, men, and other groups.

...The studies reveal that age is by far the strongest predictor of an infected person’s risk of dying — a metric known as the infection fatality ratio (IFR), which is the proportion of people infected with the virus, including those who didn’t get tested or show symptoms, who will die as a result.

“COVID-19 is not just hazardous for elderly people, it is extremely dangerous for people in their mid-fifties, sixties and seventies,” says Andrew Levin, an economist at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, who has estimated that getting COVID-19 is more than 50 times more likely to be fatal for a 60-year-old than is driving a car....

Define older?

Reading some articles that the Israelis are saying that the majority of those who have had the Pfizer vaccine are not passing on the virus.  It appears that the vaccine dosage creates such a high immunity that even if infected with the virus it can not hang around long enough to infect any others due to the immune system working to completely suppress the virus.

The vaccine dosage also increases the immune system 100s of times more than the immune system alone. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I remember years ago when I travelled I would often get a gamma globulin booster shot. It was something you didn't hear much about and I'm not certain what the current research is regarding it's effectiveness and/or if they still recommend it.

But they said it boosted your immune system to help fight off infections, particularly stuff you had not been previously exposed to. Over time I just kind of forgot about until now actually. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_globulin

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I remember years ago when I travelled I would often get a gamma globulin booster shot. It was something you didn't hear much about and I'm not certain what the current research is regarding it's effectiveness and/or if they still recommend it.

But they said it boosted your immune system to help fight off infections, particularly stuff you had not been previously exposed to. Over time I just kind of forgot about until now actually. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_globulin

I would love to hear a bargirl pronounce Gamma Globulin.

• Haha 2

I have signed up for the vaccination here in Durango. I am in the A-2 group due to my age. Hopefully it will happen in the next 3 to 4 weeks. San Juan Basin Health ( who is the overseer of all such things big and small ) will contact me to set the date. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, thumper63 said:

I have signed up for the vaccination here in Durango. I am in the A-2 group due to my age. Hopefully it will happen in the next 3 to 4 weeks. San Juan Basin Health ( who is the overseer of all such things big and small ) will contact me to set the date. 

Have you heard anything about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine rollout in the states, any dates. I did read it had I high efficacy and only one jab needed..I think the UK ordered millions. Cheers

27 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Well that's Glastonbury cancelled for another year..festivals not my bag but got to feel sorry for those who enjoy them..I guess fans of sporting events will be left disappointed again this year. 2021 another year of shite 

I'm a bit more positive, the Glastonbury cancellation seems in part caused by their inability to find an insurer.

The ECB have pressed ahead selling tickets at inflated prices for the cricket this summer🙂 London Marathon reckon they will have 50k runners, albeit that is  in October.

Also thought I'd heard about more of Euro 2021 football being transferred to the UK. That's in June by that point in the UK anyone who hasn't been vaccinated will have either refused it or being a relatively low risk group. Life here is going to have to move on by then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'm a bit more positive, the Glastonbury cancellation seems in part caused by their inability to find an insurer.

The ECB have pressed ahead selling tickets at inflated prices for the cricket this summer🙂 London Marathon reckon they will have 50k runners, albeit that is  in October.

Also thought I'd heard about more of Euro 2021 football being transferred to the UK. That's in June by that point in the UK anyone who hasn't been vaccinated will have either refused it or being a relatively low risk group. Life here is going to have to move on by 

Yes I think with Glastonbury it's such a big international event with bands from all over the world..it would be to much of a risk to press ahead at the moment..like you said by June the way ahead should be a little more clearer in the uk..👍

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have had to cancel my 2021 annual Bukkake and face painting event planned for April this year

Would you like to share with the board which venue you had booked for this messy event to take place.

26 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Would you like to share with the board which venue you had booked for this messy event to take place.

It was going to be held in a plastic lined Marquee that they use for the Bake off programs on TV. I will have to give refunds now, to some of Britain's finest sharp shooters and compensate  the human targets that were booked for a soaking

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have had to cancel my 2021 annual Bukkake and face painting event planned for April this year

Good thing too.... fines are being increased for "houseparties".... it could be an expensive face painting session!

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2021 at 8:35 PM, lazarus said:

I will be okay.

I have been 49 for years.

Just seen that current stats in the Uk are that for a 60 year old, you have a 1 in 100 chance of dying if you catch the original strain, but the new strain is killing 14 people in every 1000. This is quite scary as previously it appeared that only the 75 and above were that venerable.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Just seen that current stats in the Uk are that for a 60 year old, you have a 1 in 100 chance of dying if you catch the original strain, but the new strain is killing 14 people in every 1000. This is quite scary as previously it appeared that only the 75 and above were that venerable.

Just read a terrible story of a 39 year old police officer from Manchester passing away leaves wife and 2 young daughters..heartbreaking. it's not just the elderly at risk. Yes you are right its bloody scary and the sooner I get the jab the better 

Edited by Washedup
Spelling
  • Like 1