COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

8 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

The competition for utter stupidity continues....

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/635393-westjet-calls-police-maskless-toddler.html

Westjet calls in the police on Maskless Toddler

Captain calls in police and deboards the plane because of ONE 2 y old kid doesn't wear a mask.

FFS .....

What a great NEW world  ! 

jm

simular shit over here in one state your only allowed out for 1hr a day for exercise within a 5k area of your home,a very pregnant women was resting on a park bench,a bit out of breath,along comes 2 of the states finest men in blue and tell her the park is not for sitting but walking,

she tries to explain,"pregnant short of breath" but those two sheep tell her to move on.

this is a excuse by the power hungry politictians to play god

f**k the lot of them and the horse they rode into town on

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Sad 4
  • Surprised 1

^^^That is f**king bullshit ....

Hassling a pregnant woman for sitting on a park bench ... f**k me ...

Good for me that I was not witness to that .. because I would have started a "beef" ..... 

Jeezuz ... pregnant women are totally "of limits" of any bullshit in my book of life ...  who cares if she had her pants down taking an emergency piss ...

I cannot tell you the last 2 months of Beach Gal being pregnant with Ziggy how many emergency pisses she had to take .. on the beach .... one time she actually pissed her pants sitting in a little beach side restaurant .... everyone helped her .. and Beach gal had tears in her eyes because she was totally embarrassed .. that was the very first time I had ever seen her cry .. that hit me in the gut very hard .... 

The coppers should be more than f**king ashamed of themselves

• Like 2

There was an interesting essay on viruses in The Economist a few weeks ago. There were some fascinating facts, but what really struck me was one of the concluding remarks, which makes me wonder if we're not being a bit wimpish about C19, given how low the numbers are compared with what's happened historically with diseases caused by viruses:

Compare the toll to that of war. In the 20th century, the bloodiest in
human history, somewhere between 100m and 200m people died
as a result of warfare. The number killed by measles was somewhere
in the same range; the number who died of influenza probably
towards the top of it; and the number killed by smallpox—
300m-500m—well beyond it. That is why the eradication of
smallpox from the wild, achieved in 1979 by a globally co-ordinated
set of vaccination campaigns, stands as one of the all-time great
humanitarian triumphs.

The Worldometers website currently shows that, in spite of the virus raging around the whole globe for at least nine months now, less than a million people are recorded as having died from it.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Great Info 1

8 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

The competition for utter stupidity continues....

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/635393-westjet-calls-police-maskless-toddler.html

Westjet calls in the police on Maskless Toddler

Captain calls in police and deboards the plane because of ONE 2 y old kid doesn't wear a mask.

FFS .....

What a great NEW world  ! 

You forgot to mention that the Westjet crew's account of the event doesn't tie in with the parents' account, and it may have been the older kid that was the reason for the fallout.

Edited by KWA

22 minutes ago, KWA said:

You forgot to mention that the Westjet crew's account of the event doesn't tie in with the parents' account, and it may have been the older kid that was the reason for the fallout.

Check the age of the "older" kid ?

And do you expect the Westjet crew to contradict themselves ? 

Problem now is that people "in control" or having any power have completely lost the notion of "common sense" and go in overreaction for the smallest thing.

Avoiding Covid-19 sounds a lot like staying out of Bangkok after hours clubs...

"...The virus can spread before symptoms appear, and does so most easily through five P’s: people in prolonged, poorly ventilated, protection-free proximity..."

From an article about the US' failure to control the disease
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/pandemic-intuition-nightmare-spiral-winter/616204/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20200909&silverid=MzQ1ODAyOTY3ODM2S0

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

It is still total bullshit .....

I cannot believe how crazy all this has gotten .....

Definitively bro...

You and me have travelled and lived in different cultures "intensively" and for decades.

I would never have thought that "civilized, educated, smart" Western people one day would become (for a majority) stupid sheep mentality, brainwashed idiots....

In fact, it is funny to see that it are the third world or "developping" countries who remain much more reasonable and "normal" in this matter.

For me life continues nearly normally, and I dont give a shit about the rest. 

Today : Swimming pool, Taxi, ATM, beer in the pub, lunch at the beach, stop at the supermarket, a few whiskies a home watching TV. 

The Miss back to the village last night, normal live over there. No mask, no social distancing, nothing...

But she said " next week is Galungan (Bali Hindu N.Y.) , need to watch out a bit because maybe police from the city come check here..."  But I doubt any police would go down there, easier money to make in the city.

Have fun, enjoy life ! (Well, I trust you for that 😆😆😆😆

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Definitively bro...

You and me have travelled and lived in different cultures "intensively" and for decades.

I would never have thought that "civilized, educated, smart" Western people one day would become (for a majority) stupid sheep mentality, brainwashed idiots....

In fact, it is funny to see that it are the third world or "developping" countries who remain much more reasonable and "normal" in this matter.

For me life continues nearly normally, and I dont give a shit about the rest. 

Today : Swimming pool, Taxi, ATM, beer in the pub, lunch at the beach, stop at the supermarket, a few whiskies a home watching TV. 

The Miss back to the village last night, normal live over there. No mask, no social distancing, nothing...

But she said " next week is Galungan (Bali Hindu N.Y.) , need to watch out a bit because maybe police from the city come check here..."  But I doubt any police would go down there, easier money to make in the city.

Have fun, enjoy life ! (Well, I trust you for that 😆😆😆😆

I 100% agree with you ...

No sleep last night .... left a late night Thai joint at 5 this morning and had a couple to many beers ... then off to the US Embassy ( had to get something notarized for the bank ) meet them at 7 this morning ...

Then up Sukhumvit to Soi 63 to the bank at 9 on the button this morning ....

I was the first customer at Morning Night at 10:30 this morning ( not many people were wearing masks - and social distancing in the "bowels" of BKK .. lol ) .... had some beer there .. then off to Soi Cowboy ... stopped across the soi from Bacarra ( don't remember the name of the place ) .... I was impressed with this place ... it was so clean you could eat of the floors ... and had another couple handful of beers ....

Then the IT guy at Sukhumvit hospital called me .. told him give me 1 hour .... after 100 breath mints ... and washing my face and hair in the bar ....  met the IT guy there who is installing a VPN server for me to access some servers there ... helped him for a couple of hours and got the job done ... then hopped in a taxi and went to a small joint I know on Ramkhamhaeng soi 24 .... had a hand full of beers there ....

Went to eat after that ... no one was wearing any masks or social distancing ... at any place  I was at all day except the US Embassy

Hopefully, things are getting back to as normal as normal can be ....

I will always keep your "trust" .... 

Another day here ... and then back home Sunday morning ..... wonder what kind of "damage" i can do tonight .. lol

I really need to get back home and kiss and hold Beach gal and Ziggy ... get out on the sea and feel alive ....

"Baby - won't you dance with me ?"

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Would like to know how this poll was realized ....

Dalia Research -- https://daliaresearch.com

Democracy Perception Index – 2020
https://daliaresearch.com/blog/democracy-perception-index-2020/

The Democracy Perception Index (DPI) is the world’s largest annual study on democracy, conducted by Dalia Research in collaboration with the Alliance of Democracies, to monitor attitudes towards democracy from around the world. The 2020 edition offers a unique comparison of global public opinion during the COVID-19 crisis. Results are based on nationally representative interviews with 124,000 respondents from 53 countries conducted between April 20th and June 3rd 2020.

The results of this year’s Democracy Perception Index (DPI) offer an unprecedented comparison of attitudes around the world during the COVID-19 pandemic. This study represents the third yearly installment of the DPI since its inaugural launch in 2018, and aims to shed a light on the disconnect between citizens’s expectations and their governments.

The DPI was published ahead of the Copenhagen Democracy Summit, to be held on Thursday 18th and Friday 19th, June 2020, where Dalia CEO Nico Jaspers will present the study in full. 

tables: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17XEqJLw_LDH7Oe48F11u_AsB2wGViki4O7LaXWnB9fs/edit#gid=1912927265

Getting ahead of the curve: assessing leading indicators of the COVID-19 pandemic

https://daliaresearch.com/blog/getting-ahead-of-the-curve-assessing-leading-indicators-of-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Dahia Research

Democracy Perception Index – 2020
https://daliaresearch.com/blog/democracy-perception-index-2020/

The Democracy Perception Index (DPI) is the world’s largest annual study on democracy, conducted by Dalia Research in collaboration with the Alliance of Democracies, to monitor attitudes towards democracy from around the world. The 2020 edition offers a unique comparison of global public opinion during the COVID-19 crisis. Results are based on nationally representative interviews with 124,000 respondents from 53 countries conducted between April 20th and June 3rd 2020.

The results of this year’s Democracy Perception Index (DPI) offer an unprecedented comparison of attitudes around the world during the COVID-19 pandemic. This study represents the third yearly installment of the DPI since its inaugural launch in 2018, and aims to shed a light on the disconnect between citizens’s expectations and their governments.

The DPI was published ahead of the Copenhagen Democracy Summit, to be held on Thursday 18th and Friday 19th, June 2020, where Dalia CEO Nico Jaspers will present the study in full. 

tables: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17XEqJLw_LDH7Oe48F11u_AsB2wGViki4O7LaXWnB9fs/edit#gid=1912927265

Getting ahead of the curve: assessing leading indicators of the COVID-19 pandemic

https://daliaresearch.com/blog/getting-ahead-of-the-curve-assessing-leading-indicators-of-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Mmmm, this is the interesting part

Methodology 

This report presents an overview of a study conducted by Dalia Research and the Alliance of Democracies in the Spring of 2020. The sample of n=124,000 online-connected respondents was drawn across 53 countries, with country sample sizes ranging from 1,000 to 3,000. Nationally representative results were calculated based on the official distribution of age, gender and education for each country’s population, sourced from most recent and available data from Barro Lee & UNStat, and census.gov. The average margin of error across all countries sampled is (+/-) 3.25%.

But it's not a poll, but an analyse of on line behaviour....

Data Collection 

Dalia’s surveys are conducted online through internet-connected devices, such as smartphones, tablets and computers. Dalia follows an open recruitment approach that leverages the reach of over 40.000 third-party apps and mobile websites. To ensure coverage across different demographic groups and geographical regions, Dalia targets a highly diverse set of apps and websites – from news to shopping, to sports and games. As a result, Dalia generates up to 21 million answers every month from respondents living in as many as 100 different countries.

Although this phrase seems to hint at a questionnary ? :

Once a user opts-in to complete a survey, Dalia informs the respondent about the nature of market research and explains that all answers – including the generic demographics that are part of the targeting and quality assurance process – are recorded anonymously. 

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Mmmm, this is the interesting part

But it's not a poll, but an analyse of on line behaviour.... : 

<snip>

Although this phrase seems to hint at a questionnary ? :..

I recently completed an online survey (I think that's what they mean by 124,000 "online-connected" respondents).

They initially contacted me by mail. I checked it out before I responded to their invitation. It was from a reputable data analysis organization affiliated with several major universities.  Took about an hour to complete. Easy.

A week later there was a check for $50 in the mail. 👍

. . .

PS: I made a correction to the post after you quoted it...I misspelled the firm's name.

Dalia Research -- https://daliaresearch.com

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Check the age of the "older" kid ?

And do you expect the Westjet crew to contradict themselves ? 

Problem now is that people "in control" or having any power have completely lost the notion of "common sense" and go in overreaction for the smallest thing.

I agree the situation was ridiculous and entirely unnecessary.

My point however was that your post focussed only on one side of the discussion and thus lost any credibility once the article has been read.  You decry the press for reports written in a similar manner when they focus on the "bad" stuff, but don't practice what you preach.

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I agree the situation was ridiculous and entirely unnecessary.

My point however was that your post focussed only on one side of the discussion and thus lost any credibility once the article has been read.  You decry the press for reports written in a similar manner when they focus on the "bad" stuff, but don't practice what you preach.

I posted the link, anybody can see the whole debate and make up his own mind.

END 

5 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I posted the link, anybody can see the whole debate and make up his own mind.

END 

Incorrect.  You posted the link and then highlighted one side of the story with no mention of the side that didn't suit you.  No big deal but it just means no-one can believe your posts any more, which I think most would find disappointing if it happened  to them.

5 hours ago, KWA said:

Incorrect.  You posted the link and then highlighted one side of the story with no mention of the side that didn't suit you.  No big deal but it just means no-one can believe your posts any more, which I think most would find disappointing if it happened  to them.

TS posted the link which we all can read and form our own opinions..... he is just expressing his opinion on the link after posting it.... . so what is the problem???

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, roobob said:

TS posted the link which we all can read and form our own opinions..... he is just expressing his opinion on the link after posting it.... . so what is the problem???

cheers

Rather than summarise the article fairly,  he put over one side of the argument as fact, in bold shouty letters, with derogatory comments included.  Taken on its own the post distorts the truth and lowers any credibility in the poster once the full story is known.  Yes, reading the article shows up the discrepancies, but how many times have we all gone with the written words only and not clicked to the article/video/blog or whatever when perusing the forum?

When this was pointed out he returned with his customary (drunken?) bile, an indication to me he knows he was wrong, which John Luke quckly removed.

Opinions are fine as long as they are not portrayed as facts, and are presented in a balanced manner and hopefully with a bit of decorum thrown in. Alas, some posters refuse to realise this, despite the warnings and bans.

• Sad 1

Louis Vuitton is debuting a gold-studded face shield next month. Picture: Louis Vuitton

Louis Vuitton wants fashionistas to fend off the virus in style.

The fashion house is launching a plastic face shield stamped with its signature LV print for
those with $961 to splurge on the luxury personal protective equipment.

The coronavirus-fighting couture made to curb the exposure to potential contaminants is
constructed with hard plastic that flips up like a visor, and is adorned with a monogrammed
LV elastic head strap.

The shield will also transition from dark to light depending on brightness.

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Rather than summarise the article fairly,  he put over one side of the argument as fact, in bold shouty letters, with derogatory comments included.  Taken on its own the post distorts the truth and lowers any credibility in the poster once the full story is known.  Yes, reading the article shows up the discrepancies, but how many times have we all gone with the written words only and not clicked to the article/video/blog or whatever when perusing the forum?

When this was pointed out he returned with his customary (drunken?) bile, an indication to me he knows he was wrong, which John Luke quckly removed.

Opinions are fine as long as they are not portrayed as facts, and are presented in a balanced manner and hopefully with a bit of decorum thrown in. Alas, some posters refuse to realise this, despite the warnings and bans.

Maybe he put one side as that is where his opinion is...as said.... what is the problem.

I think you are reading to much into a simple post.

As for decorum.... does saying .................."his customary (drunken) bile"............. come under that....555.

Seems you do not like the poster...why not put him on ignore.

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1