COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 minutes ago, UbonJoe said:

I don't want it, simple as that. I don't like having water poured into my lungs.

But, up to you....

Well, I dont want to be in a car crash, so I should have sat in a car

I don't want to be in a plane crash, so I should never have take a plane

Etc etc ..... I spend 33 years on construction.sites, a rather high rate professional accident profession...

I dont want to fall  from 30m high, so I should never have climbed on a crane boom...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, UbonJoe said:

The only person I know personally who got covid was a young fit chap who's advice was "just don't get it". By day 5 he wished he was dead, and his dose was mild. Not even hospitalized. Apparently there's nothing nice about it.

People say " I had a touch of the Flu."

Except they did not. What they had was almost certainly a bad cold or at worst a viral infection of some kind.

I have experienced full blown Flu twice in my life and on both occasions I virtually could not get out of bed for a week or more and it took me more than two full weeks to recover. I would not mind betting that your "young fit chap" felt no worse than I did because I felt like shite.

Now I am not saying that the Covid 19 situation is not serious world wide but there are very many reports of individuals being tested positive and not experiencing ANY adverse symptoms at all. Is it not a fact that most deaths have ocurred in individuals with existing adverse medical conditions?

Sure there will be examples of young and previously fit individuals who die as a consequence of Covid 19 but they will be in the tiny minority category. There are such minority examples in any medical condition not just Covid 19.

The USA has between 19 - 40 million individuals who get Flu each year. Theoretically, they could all have taken a flu jag to stop that happening but chose not to for reasons of there own. There are literally thousands of deaths each year associated with influenza but that seems now to be completely ignored. I wonder how the USA will cope with the combination of of their annual flu season and Covid 19?

8 minutes ago, Jambo said:

...year. Theoretically, they could all have taken a flu jag to stop that happening but chose not to for reasons of there own. There are literally thousands of deaths each year associated with influenza but that seems now to be completely ignored. I wonder how the USA will cope with the combination of of their annual flu season and Covid 19?

There's a big push right now for everyone in the US to get a flu shot. Historically, less than 50 percent of the population does.

And, a flu shot (& supposedly a future Covid shot) is not a guarantee of 100 percent immunity for catching the disease.

Masks are the way to go for the time being. According to the "experts" if everyone wears one for a few months it would all be over.

Yet, as we know....

119672765_3487405517969157_1389532984182905497_n.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, UbonJoe said:

The flu, malaria, falling head first off a construction site etc are all avoidable, to some extent.

And so is covid. I'm doing my darnest to avoid it, and that is my choice.

Well mate, I hope you :

don't smoke because thats a mass killer

don't drink because that's a mass killer

you never shagged without condom because 1000% sure AIDS will get you

you dont eat junk food (pizza, burgers, thai food cooked in 2 cm of oil..) because thats a mass killer.

but as you say, YOU do what you want, but dont force me to wear a mask or spend 6 months of my live watching Netflix at home.

I have always enjoyed live at the fullest, and I don't plan to stop ...

And before you ask, I am 67.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:48 AM, Jambo said:

People say " I had a touch of the Flu."

Except they did not. What they had was almost certainly a bad cold or at worst a viral infection of some kind.

I have experienced full blown Flu twice in my life and on both occasions I virtually could not get out of bed for a week or more and it took me more than two full weeks to recover. I would not mind betting that your "young fit chap" felt no worse than I did because I felt like shite.

Now I am not saying that the Covid 19 situation is not serious world wide but there are very many reports of individuals being tested positive and not experiencing ANY adverse symptoms at all. Is it not a fact that most deaths have ocurred in individuals with existing adverse medical conditions?

Sure there will be examples of young and previously fit individuals who die as a consequence of Covid 19 but they will be in the tiny minority category. There are such minority examples in any medical condition not just Covid 19.

The USA has between 19 - 40 million individuals who get Flu each year. Theoretically, they could all have taken a flu jag to stop that happening but chose not to for reasons of there own. There are literally thousands of deaths each year associated with influenza but that seems now to be completely ignored. I wonder how the USA will cope with the combination of of their annual flu season and Covid 19?

2 days after going back to school, my little kid came home and gave me a stinking cold he’d obviously caught from a kid at school, bless him. 🤗 It was one of those real snotty, sneezy colds and I’ve only just about gotten over it, just a slight runny nose now. 
Got a call from my doctors surgery this morning, to tell me I’m booked in for my over 65 flu jab tomorrow at our local community hall. Normally, I go to a local school for it, where they have 5 doctors and 3 nurses jabbing away and they reckon to do 2K a day of all ages, but apparently this time around, only the “most vulnerable” are being given the flu jab first, with the rest being done in late October/November. 
My wife, who’s in her early 40’s, always gets her flu jab at the local Boots chemists, and it only takes 5 minutes of her day and our little son gets his jab at school.

I have had the flu 15 years ago and it laid me up for almost 2 weeks with high fever and awful muscle aches etc,☹️ but since having a regular jab, I’ve not had it since. 
Have I been lucky for the last 15 years? Will having the jab give me 100% protection from flu, I doubt it, but it’s no inconvenience to get vaccinated, especially at my age and with my medical history. Plus, it’s free. 😀

Of course, if someone believes they are invincible, then good luck with that. 👍

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

10 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

2 days after going back to school, my little kid came home and gave me a stinking cold he’d obviously caught from a kid at school, bless him. 🤗 It was one of those real snotty, sneezy colds and I’ve only just about gotten over it, just a slight runny nose now. 
Got a call from my doctors surgery this morning, to tell me I’m booked in for my over 65 flu jab tomorrow at our local community hall. Normally, I go to a local school for it, where they have 5 doctors and 3 nurses jabbing away and they reckon to do 2K a day of all ages, but apparently this time around, only the “most vulnerable” are being given the flu jab first, with the rest being done in late October/November. 
My wife, who’s in her early 40’s, always gets her flu jab at the local Boots chemists, and it only takes 5 minutes of her day and our little son gets his jab at school.

I have had the flu 15 years ago and it laid me up for almost 2 weeks with high fever and awful muscle aches etc,☹️ but since having a regular jab, I’ve not had it since. 
Have I been lucky for the last 15 years? Will having the jab give me 100% protection from flu, I doubt it, but it’s no inconvenience to get vaccinated, especially at my age and with my medical history. Plus, it’s free. 😀

Before I came to Thailand for the first time I had a whole course of different jabs for all sorts of nasty things I might catch in Thailand.

They were free on the NHS in Scotland.

Being self employed I could not afford to be sick so I also had an annual flu jab.

I had to pay for that at a private clinic in Edinburgh.

I never quite understood why the Thai oriented jabs were free on the NHS but I had to go private and pay for a flu jab?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, KhunDon said:

I get the flu shot yearly.

But it worth mentioning that Australia has had its most modest flu season in years during this years winter - its a 'bonus' from all the social distancing.

The virus though, swept through a range of nursing homes killing many. Far too many. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I think for a number of reasons. Mainly, a lot of younger people are taking any precautions of adhering to government guidelines along with those who either still think its a Hoax. After a long period of lockdown, many people have dropped their guard thinking its over. But we kind of knew that with the colder whether, that a second wave was likely. 

On the positive side, the NHS is much better prepared to deal with severe cases, and it is unlikely that we will have to resort to a full lockdown as before. But there will be a surge of deaths as there was in April and May. It is inevitable as it was before. 

If the rate does not fall again within the next few weeks, then I would guess there will be some reversals and more restrictions. 

With no vaccine likely for distribution until next year, there is little else that can be done apart from either lockdown or simply ignoring it, and the government won't do that. 

Some say that lockdown was lifter too early, and that maybe the case, but we did go down to an R level of just below one. 

But of course the virus just doesn't go away, it was partially starved of hosts.  So the less precautions we take, the more likely the spread.  The lockdown showed us that. 

So if people take it seriously and not just think about themselves then it is possible to reduce the spread. I think that it is common sense. 

Whilst the virus in some people will be, almost asymptomatic then they could be spreading the virus without realising it. 

It's going to be a rea drag again for most of us, but better than herd immunity and a large number of hospitalizations and deaths again as a result. 

I'm not a scientist and it's just my view based on what I understand 

^ thanks. I'll check some of the links in the article as well. Just trying to get up to speed on what I've read in recent headlines.

. . .

The basics for survival in 2020: Social distance, mask, wash hands, avoid crowds (especially indoors).

Sounds fairly easy for most people, but in reality tough for quite a few to do --  (other than "essential" workers who have to).

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

The basics for survival in 2020: Social distance, mask, wash hands, avoid crowds (especially indoors)

You ain't dramatizing ain't you ? 😂😂😂😂😂

FFS, that made my first laugh of the day.

Instead of the NYT, take the official source .....

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases

17 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

You ain't dramatizing ain't you ? 😂😂😂😂😂

FFS, that made my first laugh of the day.

Instead of the NYT, take the official source .....

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases

😷😷😷

No drama...just a fact.

"The basics for survival in 2020: Social distance, mask, wash hands, avoid crowds (especially indoors)."

You can still drink, smoke, eat, f*ck, scratch your balls, sleep & repeat as necessary.

So...what's the problem?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think for a number of reasons. Mainly, a lot of younger people are taking any precautions of adhering to government guidelines along with those who either still think its a Hoax. After a long period of lockdown, many people have dropped their guard thinking its over. But we kind of knew that with the colder whether, that a second wave was likely. 

On the positive side, the NHS is much better prepared to deal with severe cases, and it is unlikely that we will have to resort to a full lockdown as before. But there will be a surge of deaths as there was in April and May. It is inevitable as it was before. 

If the rate does not fall again within the next few weeks, then I would guess there will be some reversals and more restrictions. 

With no vaccine likely for distribution until next year, there is little else that can be done apart from either lockdown or simply ignoring it, and the government won't do that. 

Some say that lockdown was lifter too early, and that maybe the case, but we did go down to an R level of just below one. 

But of course the virus just doesn't go away, it was partially starved of hosts.  So the less precautions we take, the more likely the spread.  The lockdown showed us that. 

So if people take it seriously and not just think about themselves then it is possible to reduce the spread. I think that it is common sense. 

Whilst the virus in some people will be, almost asymptomatic then they could be spreading the virus without realising it. 

It's going to be a rea drag again for most of us, but better than herd immunity and a large number of hospitalizations and deaths again as a result. 

Dramatic situation indeed.......

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland25september2020

The percentage testing positive in the latest 14-day period (6 to 19 September 2020) was 0.22% (95% confidence interval: 0.18% to 0.26%).

ONS3.jpg

ONS 3.jpg

Now, what is a bit worrisome is the number of times they use the word "modelled estimate" and all the disclaimers concerning all what this data can NOT be used for ....

For those that love data / surveys and maths AND how the data was collected :

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland25september2020#measuring-the-data

But if even the ONS can not do better, what can I say .....

Anyway, the latest data concerning GLOBAL deaths doesn't show any significative increase in death for the moment, but TBH it is a bit early to judge as there is a lapse in time between the moment somebody catches the virus (2nd wave ....) and the moment they die. Plus the reporting / treatment of the data.

ONS4.jpg

Anyway, it's 10.00 am here and aperitif time is approaching. I better enjoy it before we are all exterminated !

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Dramatic situation indeed.......

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland25september2020

The percentage testing positive in the latest 14-day period (6 to 19 September 2020) was 0.22% (95% confidence interval: 0.18% to 0.26%).

ONS3.jpg

ONS 3.jpg

Now, what is a bit worrisome is the number of times they use the word "modelled estimate" and all the disclaimers concerning all what this data can NOT be used for ....

For those that love data / surveys and maths AND how the data was collected :

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland25september2020#measuring-the-data

But if even the ONS can not do better, what can I say .....

Anyway, the latest data concerning GLOBAL deaths doesn't show any significative increase in death for the moment, but TBH it is a bit early to judge as there is a lapse in time between the moment somebody catches the virus (2nd wave ....) and the moment they die. Plus the reporting / treatment of the data.

ONS4.jpg

Anyway, it's 10.00 am here and aperitif time is approaching. I better enjoy it before we are all exterminated !

It's 04.00am in the UK - Nightcap time! 🤣

Or as we Cockneys might say

"One for the frog?"

(As in "frog and toad")

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I'm surprised you just don't blame it all on Trump.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

seems that todays latest dross is that Vitamin D helps prevent it .. so I am allright as have been having that as an injection for 6 yrs.  only thing is I got covid end December.  so its back to the bleach and tonic water

A few hours of sun per day gives you more than enough vitamin D I read ?

But, yep, when I see the prices of them vitamin D "supplements" in the pharmacy here, there sure is a great business going on !