Merge Virus Threads or Club? YOU DECIDE

It's a fair point, there is currently a lot of different threads on it.

But, it's an unprecedented situation which will impact most of not all people on this forum is some way, from business owners in Thailand, to those planning a trip. 

I wouldn't make a Club for it, people will be looking for information, maybe those who haven't logged on in a while, then they won't see it. 

It is massive news, massive implications, I certainly think it should be discussed and people kept up to date as it's a very, very fluid situation.

That said, it's getting hard to keep up to date with it all as there is so many threads to read.

A possible solution, one thread related to all things Thailand and Coronavirus.

Another thread of everything else coronavirus related outside of Thailand.

Just my thoughts ...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Agreed with OP.

As this is a GLOBAL pandemonium, it make sense to put it in a GLOBAL thread

This thing has no borders.

@Krapow, as far as getting information, let me.laugh.  medias are all repeating the same thing worldwide now. I consider this forum.as a chat on this, a bit like in the pub, not as a source of info.

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2

59 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Agreed with OP.

As this is a GLOBAL pandemonium, it make sense to put it in a GLOBAL thread

This thing has no borders.

@Krapow, as far as getting information, let me.laugh.  medias are all repeating the same thing worldwide now. I consider this forum.as a chat on this, a bit like in the pub, not as a source of info.

I'm talking about information about Thailand, what's happening on the ground, to what restrictions if any the Thai authorities are outing in place, people looking at these forums to find out. 

I certainly do, from people like Tommy to others living here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree there's too many threads.

However, I fear it is too late to merge them, as it would just produce an unreadable mess with no continuity and random comments in meaningless order.

Is it possible to make a club that members are automatically members of UNLESS YOU OPT OUT? ie, the opposite to the clubs we have at the moment.

Just a thought....

25 minutes ago, Painter said:

I agree there's too many threads.

However, I fear it is too late to merge them, as it would just produce an unreadable mess with no continuity and random comments in meaningless order.

Is it possible to make a club that members are automatically members of UNLESS YOU OPT OUT? ie, the opposite to the clubs we have at the moment.

Just a thought....

Agreed.

Maybe close all existing threads and open a single new one?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Agreed.

Maybe close all existing threads and open a single new one?

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Probably the best way ?

You really want the cartoons, the pics of dogs or cats wearing masks, government announcements, the general chit chat or any actual medical news all in the one thread.

Crazy!!!

John L suggested a merge a while back and we felt that some would stay and be kept fed , others wo0uld die.  to be fair he was probably right.  BUT the suggestion to close all , keeping obviously visible, and starting two, one IN the LOS and one for the rest of the world makes sense to me.. thanks

if you guys have no real objection I will impliments tonight after everyone has a chance to reply

cheers

tommy

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

starting two, one IN the LOS and one for the rest of the world makes sense to me.. thanks

Yep, that would be a good way to keep in one place any Corona stuff that impacts Thailand, it's visitors or residents and in another place the massive pile of "information" concerning the thing worldwide.

43 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Been thinking the same but each virus thread has its own relevance to a degree.

Now if its all moved into a club members will need to join the club to view the threads and this may create more threads on the main forum.

No, the idea would be 2 (max 3) threads but on the main forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

Been thinking the same but each virus thread has its own relevance to a degree.

Now if its all moved into a club members will need to join the club to view the threads and this may create more threads on the main forum.

Over many years of forum experiences I have developed a knack of only opening threads I'm interested in and/or skipping over content I have no interest in. And I have no problems opening the different threads relating to Covid-19/SARS-CoV-2 and at the moment the different threads "compartmentalise" the information.

Someone posted elsewhere

This is a Thailand forum, not some high level medical or scientific forum !

Does that mean a thread about someone living in Indonesia who collects model motor vehicles for a hobby should be removed?

I think more correctly, this is a forum whose members are bound by a common interest in Thailand but also have other interests and one of those interests may be the different aspects of SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19.

I worked for many years in IT and whenever we wanted to change something it had to go through a formalised change control procedure. Part of that procedure documented

• The current situation.
  • Why a change is proposed. What existing problems will be resolved.
  • What will be the impact if the change is not made.
  • What is the expected outcome of the change.

I trust the mod team has conducted a similar exercise and are not just making a change for change's sake.

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS, its in a separate section ! 

Intentionally.

Then creating a Covid-19 section would be a better option than lumping everything into the one thread! People not interested could ignore the section entirely.

• tommy dee locked and unlocked this topic

two threads now.  to be fair they merged backwards so a bit of a rehash.  but that, I hope, keeps everyone happy.  no threads hidden, only closed and easy for anyone to see if they want to open a thread based on the single titles.  

have a great Sunday

T

4 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

two threads now.  to be fair they merged backwards so a bit of a rehash.  but that, I hope, keeps everyone happy.  no threads hidden, only closed and easy for anyone to see if they want to open a thread based on the single titles.  

have a great Sunday

T

Think you're locked the new 'Thailand' one  by mistake?

19 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I am just throwing this idea out there. The founding fathers of this forum can dismiss this or maybe go for it. Every second of the day my phone is blowing up with coronavirus news. Now this forum is rapidly changing from "Thailand-247" into "Coronavirus-247". Maybe all these virus threads can be merged into one thread or put into a club like politics? That way the BMs who consistently who want to talk about the virus can do so there. I personally am sick and tired of hearing about it. I like to come to this forum to escape the endless doomsday crap that is spewed via social media and news outlets. Now I come here and it's more of the same.

I'll get my coat. 

My thoughts when we were inundated with all those Secrets threads lol

Thankfully like those this virus love in on the forum will die down as well and hopefully in less time than the Secrets threads did....

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Update,

Why was the Philippine Travel Advice thread locked, this is the correct place for updates on travel advisories specific to that country and should be there for all to see if they are interested in or traveling to that country.

still visible and now copied to the Non thai page too.  hope that helps

t