Wot u gonna do?

Bazle

38 minutes ago, Homor said:

Worst case scenario some 'experts' are predict social distancing measures to last until September 2021.

that’s the problem so called exports are only guessing. 

I agree, the experts know as little as we know.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Don't underestimate how bad things were prior to covid wiping out completely tourism in Pattaya.

The Chinese tourists did not spend money in OUR entertainment venues and Bars and GoGo's were already all trying to find customers, any customers, from an ever reducing pool of traditional "western customers."  There were all sorts of stories of venues just hanging on and this is the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back for many. I imagine requests for rental "holidays" etc are largely going to fall on deaf ears.

Of course, an unknown number will survive and many others will be available probably at the cost of simply taking over accumulated debts but it is going to be a long time before the customers start to come back in any numbers even if the baht collapsed thus saving my crucified monthly pension payments.  Oh for the days of 70 pussy vouchers to a GBP 😀

Thailand might decide to take a flyer on relaxing the restrictions on allowing in tourists again ( August/September? ) but that does not mean to say that the rest of the world will follow suit and allow the freedom to travel once again. I cannot see too many employers being to happy to agree to holiday requests from employees who have been at home picking up their 80% of earnings from the Government.

I see another potential problem. There are going to be large numbers of out of work individuals in Pattaya with very little if any money. Crime is going to increase and who are they going to look to rob? The worlds media will lap that up no doubt.

Personally, I think this will change Pattaya for ever but what do I know?

Your guess is as good as any. It's unknown territory and all anyone has atm is a best guess. You raise some very good points that I don't necessarily disagree with.

Yes the number of tourists in Pattaya have been going down for the past couple of years despite the protestations of the TAT. I met Mr Lee of the lengkee family in November, he said it was his worst 12 months in all his time in Pattaya.

However there were many bars that still did alright, soi lk metro was fairly busy most weekends in my experience. Soi Buakhao done alright during the weekend as well. Very quiet during the week. The few times I passed through soi 6 it was relatively busy.

It's also important to remember, and someone as experienced with pattaya as you will know, that there are more than a few bars that are merely covering acts for money laundering, drug dealing and other nefarious activities.

Depending on how long this continues and how desperate things get then yes it may turn nasty. I've already seen numerous posts on social media from people demanding monies owed to them be paid up. 

For me it depends how quickly this social distancing lark lasts and the strength of the Thai baht. The strengthening baht in my opinion has been one of the main causes in the recent decline of westerners to Thailand.

All in all it's very early days. 

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

17 hours ago, Krapow said:

Will Pattaya be changed?

Farang catering places had already been closing due to lack of farangs, many more will surely go?

The girls, this will be a great leveller for many, will it change anything there?

That's just a couple of examples. 

Will Pattaya, what's left of it, be even more lost to what many of us remember, or will it be a general 'reset' to a time we thought was lost?

Naw, back to normal quickly, depending on exchange rate of course.

Edited by farangme

5 minutes ago, farangme said:

Naw, back to normal quickly, depending on exchange rate of course.

I think it will get back to a new normal...........the guys with money will open expensive clubs, restaurants etc in place of where the small bars, eateries were.  They will hope for a different clientele to fill their premises.

When the Tsunami hit Phi Phi it reopened with expensive hotels and infrastructure, it lost a little of the backpacker environment that had prevailed before. Not as nice as it was before.

When Angeles got hit with Pinatubo dropping crap on it the place opened a bit smaller, in a more confined area and the Koreans came down from their Friendship haunts with money and bought up half the place. Not as nice as it was before.

Once this is over many bars will either be bulldozed or repossessed and changed into more opulent clubs or restaurants and Thailand will try and attract a different crowd. Not as nice as it was before.

When I say not as nice as before I am reflecting on what many of us were used to and want back. In my position now I am more family oriented and what will be on offer could be more beneficial for me.

Just a personal view.

• Like 1

UK to review current measures every three weeks for the next six months. It could go on longer than that. It is hoped that restrictions may be able to be lifted temporarily for periods at a time. Grim news.

😒 

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

UK to review current measures every three weeks for the next six months. It could go on longer than that. It is hoped that restrictions may be able to be lifted temporarily for periods at a time. Grim news.

😒

I think this is going to go on for a lot longer than many realise, whilst there is no vaccine, just one case will kick start it all off again and we will be back to square 1. My biggest fear is that having had it and built up some immunity towards it, you can get it again. Time will tell but things look pretty grim to me for the forseeable future.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I think this is going to go on for a lot longer than many realise, whilst there is no vaccine, just one case will kick start it all off again and we will be back to square 1. My biggest fear is that having had it and built up some immunity towards it, you can get it again. Time will tell but things look pretty grim to me for the forseeable future.

Everything we've heard so far says this is not the case , only for exceptional cases where people have immunity issues ... I think 

31 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Seems like utter madness to cripple the world economy and bring society to a halt for a virus that may have a lethality similar to the flu. Cocoon the elderly, sick and disabled. Then allow the rest of us to get back to some sort of normalcy with precautionary measures in place.

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Seems like utter madness to cripple the world economy and bring society to a halt for a virus that may have a lethality similar to the flu. Cocoon the elderly, sick and disabled. Then allow the rest of us to get back to some sort of normalcy with precautionary measures in place.

It's about the health services ability to cope ... there's not one country on earth has enough beds ventilators to deal with the influx if they don't slow the infection down .... 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

It's about the health services ability to cope ... there's not one country on earth has enough beds ventilators to deal with the influx if they don't slow the infection down .... 

They can slow the infection down without bringing the entire economy and society to a halt. It's been done in South Korea, Singapore and Japan.

• Like 1

WHEN THIS IS OVER.... referring to the OP..  well when this is over, everyone will know someone, hopefully not close to them, who has died from COVID 19.  I woke up this morning to find that a chap I got to know, Alan Merrill ( who wrote I love rock and roll)  died in NY from this virus.  3 dyas ago he was chatting on FB.

Seems like every day this shit gets more real.

but, as said, by the end of this, we will all remember someone we knew who gets it from Covid.  and fuck knows when the end will be

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

They can slow the infection down without bringing the entire economy and society to a halt. It's been done in South Korea, Singapore and Japan.

How if people are out on the streets spreading it around at present numbers??

Maybe those countries jumped on top of it a lot quicker

17 minutes ago, roomark said:

How if people are out on the streets spreading it around at present numbers??

Maybe those countries jumped on top of it a lot quicker

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/coronavirus-cases-have-dropped-sharply-south-korea-whats-secret-its-success

Have a read of this.

South Korea was able to get a grip of it early on.

Testing, testing, testing.

Evidence from Germany and USA now showing that the lethality of the Coronavirus is much less than first predicted.

• Great Info 1

15 hours ago, Esco said:

Biggest question I guess is when will the tourists start coming back?

yes that will be the big question the bars can be allowed to reopen but until the airlines allow people to fly in with out all the restrictions it will not be good. I want to getaway somewhere when things get somewhat back to normal but until I can be 100% sure I can return without the forms that they now require i won't be leaving Thailand. Bet i am not alone in this regard

On 3/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Steelers4Life said:

I learned Thai on my own, with the help of Thai Language.com and the GF. I am beginning to engage in conversations now. I understand more than I speak. It comes in very handy. But you gotta learn when to turn it on or turn it off.

I am ashamed of the fact that after 17 years of first coming to Thailand and 14 years living here my Thai is nidnoy.

For some reason I just cannot learn other languages.

I should be fluent in French and passable in Spanish but apart from "ami vous les blow jobs and dos San Miguels chief" I am a waste of space.

My wife Sai could not speak one word of English when we met and now switches from Thai to English like throwing a switch.

As an adult I have a whole bunch of formal qualifications I gained through study and examination so I am determined if nothing else but I simply cannot grasp other languages. Perhaps it is psycological block as I did absolutely loath my French teacher at School who once wrote one of my reports

"He is lazy, untidy, never works well and is a disgrace to himself and his class ."

Funny how I can quote that word perfect after all these years.

Unfortunately, there may have been a grain of truth in what the bitch said.🤣

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am ashamed of the fact that after 17 years of first coming to Thailand and 14 years living here my Thai is nidnoy.

For some reason I just cannot learn other languages.

I should be fluent in French and passable in Spanish but apart from "ami vous les blow jobs and dos San Miguels chief" I am a waste of space.

My wife Sai could not speak one word of English when we met and now switches from Thai to English like throwing a switch.

As an adult I have a whole bunch of formal qualifications I gained through study and examination so I am determined if nothing else but I simply cannot grasp other languages. Perhaps it is psycological block as I did absolutely loath my French teacher at School who once wrote one of my reports

"He is lazy, untidy, never works well and is a disgrace to himself and his class ."

Funny how I can quote that word perfect after all these years.

Unfortunately, there may have been a grain of truth in what the bitch said.🤣

Don't be ashamed. I actually started learning after a bit of embarrassment on my first trip. It was in Phuket. I heard the female flight attendants on my Thai Airways flight over say, "sa wat dee ka" repeatedly. I asked them what that meant in English, but they did not mention the "ka" part. So for the first week walking around Patong, I was saying sa wat dee ka proudly to the Thais. Then some old Thai man called me out on it. He said, "You man or lady?" I said, "man". Then he said, "You say 'kop' not 'ka' falang pas sat". I had no idea what he was talking about so I bought a small translation book. I found out about what ka and kop referred to as far as gender. I also discovered that "falang pas sat" meant "small brained westerner". 555  

I just focused on learning as many Thai words as I could and the English meaning for many years. It was not easy, but I made it a hobby. I constantly was asking BGs and any Thai that knew a little English what this and that meant. Then about 7 years ago, I discovered Thai Language.com which actually has audio which helped. Sinclair and I have been friends on FB for years after we met and he helped me here and there. He's speaks 6 languages fluently including of course Thai and on top of that Isaan Lao. He has a linguistic gift however, that most of us don't have including me so I had to work harder at it. Since being with my GF for the past few years who lives in Korat, I have to say I learned the most. I am not fluent but I am getting there. I am not going to be satisfied until I am. Having conversations in Thai over the last couple of years was a major breakthrough. I have ADD so a language school would not do me any good. So I do it my way. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some Thai businessman in Pattaya reckons around 80% of businesses in the city will be close either for good or temporarily in the next 12 months. Reckons many businesses will be snapped up by foreign buyers, I reckon the chinks are gonna clean up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Reckons many businesses will be snapped up by foreign buyers, I reckon the chinks are gonna clean up.

Yes, and not just in Patts but around the world. Watch them buy up big-name companies when there is only a choice of a Chinese white knight or go bust.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Yes, and not just in Patts but around the world. Watch them buy up big-name companies when there is only a choice of a Chinese white knight or go bust.

Pattaya could end up looking like Sihanoukville.

• Like 1

Many small businesses, especially bars were in financial trouble before this virus thing took hold. This is just the last nail in the coffin. I would hope that some of the greedy landlords will go belly up. I think only the Thai owned and operated businesses will weather this storm. Remove the astronomical rent from the overhead and they will be able see it through.

• Like 2

In the UK I think wages will freeze for the next 5-10 years. Inflation will increase with the amount of quantative easing in the system.

VAT will likely go up as will fuel and alcohol duties. There will be increases in council tax, stamp duty and other tax increases.

Some big retailers are going to collapse over this, the high street was already dying, this will all but kill it off.

I can see more people and companies promoting working from home, more co-working spaces, more working remotely.

They are already saying that the recession is deeper than the 08 banking collapse and we aren't even one month into the 6-12 month timeline.

I think the chinks will hoover up failed businesses in many developing nations, especially in Pattaya and Thailand. I can see a bigger East v West divide emerging.