emirates to stop passanger flights

thunder367

12 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

Several European airlines already precede Emirates, including (but not limited to) some that will never fly again because of bankruptcy.

Emirates have already rescinded the announcement, although there is now some discussion that all passengers, including transit passengers, will be banned from the UAE so things may change again.  From their website:

Having received requests from governments and customers to support the repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate flights to the following countries until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand: the UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, USA, and Canada. We aim to provide affected customers with updated information as early as possible. To receive the latest notifications on your flight, customers should ensure their contact details are updated by visiting manage my booking. Customers can also check the website for their flight status.

3 hours ago, KWA said:

Emirates have already rescinded the announcement, although there is now some discussion that all passengers, including transit passengers, will be banned from the UAE so things may change again.  From their website:

That was on their website last night.

It seems to have been replaced with

"As per the UAE government’s directive, Emirates will temporarily suspend all passenger services for two weeks starting from 25 March 2020. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to our customers and travellers. These measures are in place to contain the spread of COVID-19, and we hope to resume services as soon as feasible"

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/help/travel-updates/#3515

16 minutes ago, Painter said:

Queues at Emirates checkin desks about 5pm tonight.

Not sure how many flights out they have tonight, but mine has been delayed by 2 hours meaning a very tight connection...

20200323_175048.jpg

Good luck with the connection mate and safe travels.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I just returned from Kenya via Emirates after a couple of previously cancelled flights to get me back home. I was at the Dubai airport this past Sunday morning and it was a very chaotic environment. Massive crowds of people in all directions. My flight to San Francisco was supposed to be Saturday, but Emirates cancelled that one and rescheduled me for the Sunday flight instead, which made what was a 4 hour layover become a 28 hour layover, and caused me to book into the International Transit Terminal Hotel for a mere $267 USD for the night, far and away the most expensive room I've ever booked.

The lines at the Emirates ticket counters stretched back a couple hundred people in the B Concourse where I was. And they only had 3 staff working to help everyone. Took me well over an hour in line even though I was only about 25 people back from the front.

Flew an A-380, a huge double deck behemoth, with 4 mighty engines. Must have had 400 passengers, and all had to be photographed with an infrared camera to make sure no one had a fever and be denied access to board. Took 2 hours to go wheels up for that 16 hour long haul.

I was never so happy, or exhausted, to finally walk through my front door after a trip.

My American buddy sent a message to me early Monday letting me know that Emirates would be shutting down all flight operations in Kenya effective Tuesday. So, I literally was on one of the last planes out of the country.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Home safely. Flights both packed, the first leg to Dubai having 40ish cabin crew and officers in full uniform traveling as passengers, presumably to he transported to their bases.

There were loads of us on the first leg needing to get on to London, so they held the gwk and lhr flights. Cant comment on how busy Dubai was because my gates were only 4 apart. 

Service ont he planes was basic, even upstairs. 

600 pax on the a380 to gwk according to captain.

Youd be amazed at the number of people who were trying to get through the automated gates with masks on....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Emirates seems to have gone through a nearly catastrophic event. And with a A380 ....

And not the first time in recent years.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/64eabdf8-83f8-11ea-a771-e3cbdc13ee70?shareToken=15bd7c202d3587d7d34cae500fa63da0

Thread on Pprune https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/631799-ek-131-airbus-seconds-doom-over-moscow-report-times.html

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Emirates seems to have gone through a nearly catastrophic event. And with a A380 ....

And not the first time in recent years.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/64eabdf8-83f8-11ea-a771-e3cbdc13ee70?shareToken=15bd7c202d3587d7d34cae500fa63da0

Thread on Pprune https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/631799-ek-131-airbus-seconds-doom-over-moscow-report-times.html

Do you read the stuff you post? The first link is the subject matter of the second one.

This happened about 3 years ago.  If I recall correctly there were two almost identical incidents within  a short space of time.

Emirates A380s have been grounded for almost 2 months now and are unlikely to fly again until October.

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Do you read the stuff you post? The first link is the subject matter of the second one.

This happened about 3 years ago.  If I recall correctly there were two almost identical incidents within  a short space of time.

Missed out on the date of the newspaper.

But my source was the Pprune thread. Dated 20/04.

Did you checked out the full thread and ALL the links.