Free mobile data

KWA

All three main mobile phone companies are said to be offering 10G data free to users to help keep in touch during the corona crisis.

To get it, dial *170*Thai ID  No# send.  Not sure if this code is the same for all companies.

I'll wait until my current package runs out in a couple of weeks and try it with a hooky ID number I originally got to allow me to use the PEA app.

21 hours ago, KWA said:

All three main mobile phone companies are said to be offering 10G data free to users to help keep in touch during the corona crisis.

To get it, dial *170*Thai ID  No# send.  Not sure if this code is the same for all companies.

I'll wait until my current package runs out in a couple of weeks and try it with a hooky ID number I originally got to allow me to use the PEA app.

Thai ID number ? 

2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Thai ID number ? 

Have to borrow one or use a fake one.  Maybe if you have the foreigner ID card the number on that could work?

I needed one to let me register on the PEA app and found a site that generated one that would pass checks for being a valid number, even though it wasn't mine.

Even though it allowed me on to pay my electric bill, this offer could be different as a lot of locals' phone numbers are tied to their Thai ID numbers so if that is checked my hooky number will fail as my phone number is tied to my (old) passport.

55 minutes ago, KWA said:

Have to borrow one or use a fake one.  Maybe if you have the foreigner ID card the number on that could work?

I needed one to let me register on the PEA app and found a site that generated one that would pass checks for being a valid number, even though it wasn't mine.

Even though it allowed me on to pay my electric bill, this offer could be different as a lot of locals' phone numbers are tied to their Thai ID numbers so if that is checked my hooky number will fail as my phone number is tied to my (old) passport.

Oh for the good old days when some Pattaya news sources used to post pictures of the recently departed's ID card after he (or she) wrapped their motorcycle around a power pole etc.

13 hours ago, KWA said:

Use your old passport number, the computer might just recognise the number on the system. Or they may have program it to recognise No on system, only if it is a Thai No.

Lost nothing trying.  Did not work on AIS unless I have to wait until 10th April.

Edited by eyes4thais

This is up and working now (10th) on 12Call at least, and the deal lasts a month.

I updated my registered ID to my new passport a few days ago so will try it next week when my package expires.  Please let us know if anyone else gets it with an overseas passport, hooky Thai ID number or anything else.

46 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Not clear why I'd want a small mountain of data for my phone now as there's nowhere to go and use it. When the bars were open or you could sit on the beach all day, fine, but now?

Probably aimed at the Thais as a lot of them wouldn't have internet in their rooms and rely on mobile data. I imagine if they are stuck in their rooms all day they would use a lot of data on their phones.

49 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Not clear why I'd want a small mountain of data for my phone now as there's nowhere to go and use it. When the bars were open or you could sit on the beach all day, fine, but now?

A lot of locals with no wifi at home, no work to go to and nothing to do but Facebook and youtube all day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:34 AM, thegrogmonster said:

Probably aimed at the Thais as a lot of them wouldn't have internet in their rooms and rely on mobile data. I imagine if they are stuck in their rooms all day they would use a lot of data on their phones.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, KWA said:

A lot of locals with no wifi at home, no work to go to and nothing to do but Facebook and youtube all day.

Yes, I know that guys, that's why I specifically said that I didn't know why why I'd want a small mountain of data. The GF up in Laem Chabang has grabbed it, of course, as she doesn't have WiFi in her room.

BTW, just as an experiment, I tried the GF's ID number in the *170*...# gubbins and it won't accept it. Your SIM is linked in their records to either a Thai ID number or a foreign passport. I'm guessing that foreign passports don't qualify, and trying to use a Thai ID number doesn't match what's in their database so that won't work either.

4 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

BTW, just as an experiment, I tried the GF's ID number in the *170*...# gubbins and it won't accept it. Your SIM is linked in their records to either a Thai ID number or a foreign passport. I'm guessing that foreign passports don't qualify, and trying to use a Thai ID number doesn't match what's in their database so that won't work either.

After I'd renewed my usual package I wondered if my passport number (that is in their database) and preceding it with zeros to make 13 digits might have tricked it.  Too late for me but someone else might want to try it.  Have a Thai mate or a translation app handy as the messages are all in Thai.

48 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

not a April fools joke. I got a call a recorded one from AIS 2 hours ago telling me about this and how to get it. I will go up to AIS and ask them later

I got the call too, but thought it ironic that as part of the English language only message they tell you it's for Thai nationals only.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 6:36 PM, JDM said:

Guys it was posted on April the 1st.

JDM

🙄

Definitely not a joke or fraud, the GF's got the free 10 GB. She was delighted having been refused the 5,000/month handout, when she'd lost both her part-time, casual jobs as a result of the lockdown.

As I said earlier, it worked with her ID card number so I tried using that on my phone but computer says no, or rather telephone says no. It evidently has to be the Thai ID number associated with your SIM card in their database.

• 2 weeks later...

100 free minutes talk time now on offer, and this one is available to both Thais and non-Thais.  Same code as before for Thais, and this is what AIS say for non-Thais.  The other companies are hopefully the same.

Foreign AIS customers can apply for the 100 free minutes by sending their passport number by SMS to 170 between May 1 and 15. The service is available to both post-paid and pre-paid subscribers.

• Great Info 1