Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KWA

Free mobile data

Recommended Posts

All three main mobile phone companies are said to be offering 10G data free to users to help keep in touch during the corona crisis.

To get it, dial *170*Thai ID  No# send.  Not sure if this code is the same for all companies.

I'll wait until my current package runs out in a couple of weeks and try it with a hooky ID number I originally got to allow me to use the PEA app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above offer starts on the 10th of this month, I read elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KWA said:

All three main mobile phone companies are said to be offering 10G data free to users to help keep in touch during the corona crisis.

To get it, dial *170*Thai ID  No# send.  Not sure if this code is the same for all companies.

I'll wait until my current package runs out in a couple of weeks and try it with a hooky ID number I originally got to allow me to use the PEA app.

Thai ID number ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Thai ID number ? 

Have to borrow one or use a fake one.  Maybe if you have the foreigner ID card the number on that could work?

I needed one to let me register on the PEA app and found a site that generated one that would pass checks for being a valid number, even though it wasn't mine.

Even though it allowed me on to pay my electric bill, this offer could be different as a lot of locals' phone numbers are tied to their Thai ID numbers so if that is checked my hooky number will fail as my phone number is tied to my (old) passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KWA said:

Have to borrow one or use a fake one.  Maybe if you have the foreigner ID card the number on that could work?

I needed one to let me register on the PEA app and found a site that generated one that would pass checks for being a valid number, even though it wasn't mine.

Even though it allowed me on to pay my electric bill, this offer could be different as a lot of locals' phone numbers are tied to their Thai ID numbers so if that is checked my hooky number will fail as my phone number is tied to my (old) passport.

Oh for the good old days when some Pattaya news sources used to post pictures of the recently departed's ID card after he (or she) wrapped their motorcycle around a power pole etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KWA said:

Have to borrow one or use a fake one.  Maybe if you have the foreigner ID card the number on that could work?

I needed one to let me register on the PEA app and found a site that generated one that would pass checks for being a valid number, even though it wasn't mine.

Even though it allowed me on to pay my electric bill, this offer could be different as a lot of locals' phone numbers are tied to their Thai ID numbers so if that is checked my hooky number will fail as my phone number is tied to my (old) passport.

Use your old passport number, the computer might just recognise the number on the system. Or they may have program it to recognise No on system, only if it is a Thai No.

Lost nothing trying.  Did not work on AIS unless I have to wait until 10th April.

 

Edited by eyes4thais

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is up and working now (10th) on 12Call at least, and the deal lasts a month.

I updated my registered ID to my new passport a few days ago so will try it next week when my package expires.  Please let us know if anyone else gets it with an overseas passport, hooky Thai ID number or anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not clear why I'd want a small mountain of data for my phone now as there's nowhere to go and use it. When the bars were open or you could sit on the beach all day, fine, but now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Not clear why I'd want a small mountain of data for my phone now as there's nowhere to go and use it. When the bars were open or you could sit on the beach all day, fine, but now?

Probably aimed at the Thais as a lot of them wouldn't have internet in their rooms and rely on mobile data. I imagine if they are stuck in their rooms all day they would use a lot of data on their phones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Not clear why I'd want a small mountain of data for my phone now as there's nowhere to go and use it. When the bars were open or you could sit on the beach all day, fine, but now?

A lot of locals with no wifi at home, no work to go to and nothing to do but Facebook and youtube all day.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No luck with passport number or ID number from Google Images so just paid for my regular package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 10:34 AM, thegrogmonster said:

Probably aimed at the Thais as a lot of them wouldn't have internet in their rooms and rely on mobile data. I imagine if they are stuck in their rooms all day they would use a lot of data on their phones.

 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, KWA said:

A lot of locals with no wifi at home, no work to go to and nothing to do but Facebook and youtube all day.

Yes, I know that guys, that's why I specifically said that I didn't know why why I'd want a small mountain of data. The GF up in Laem Chabang has grabbed it, of course, as she doesn't have WiFi in her room.

BTW, just as an experiment, I tried the GF's ID number in the *170*...# gubbins and it won't accept it. Your SIM is linked in their records to either a Thai ID number or a foreign passport. I'm guessing that foreign passports don't qualify, and trying to use a Thai ID number doesn't match what's in their database so that won't work either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

BTW, just as an experiment, I tried the GF's ID number in the *170*...# gubbins and it won't accept it. Your SIM is linked in their records to either a Thai ID number or a foreign passport. I'm guessing that foreign passports don't qualify, and trying to use a Thai ID number doesn't match what's in their database so that won't work either.

After I'd renewed my usual package I wondered if my passport number (that is in their database) and preceding it with zeros to make 13 digits might have tricked it.  Too late for me but someone else might want to try it.  Have a Thai mate or a translation app handy as the messages are all in Thai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cheap data packages available on True at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free phone service likely after the end of April, too, but only for Thais, nothing for those pesky farangs and their coronaviruses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys it was posted on April the 1st.

JDM

🙄

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not a April fools joke. I got a call a recorded one from AIS 2 hours ago telling me about this and how to get it. I will go up to AIS and ask them later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

not a April fools joke. I got a call a recorded one from AIS 2 hours ago telling me about this and how to get it. I will go up to AIS and ask them later

You'll need a Thai ID to get the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

not a April fools joke. I got a call a recorded one from AIS 2 hours ago telling me about this and how to get it. I will go up to AIS and ask them later

I got the call too, but thought it ironic that as part of the English language only message they tell you it's for Thai nationals only.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 6:36 PM, JDM said:

Guys it was posted on April the 1st.

JDM

🙄

Definitely not a joke or fraud, the GF's got the free 10 GB. She was delighted having been refused the 5,000/month handout, when she'd lost both her part-time, casual jobs as a result of the lockdown.

As I said earlier, it worked with her ID card number so I tried using that on my phone but computer says no, or rather telephone says no. It evidently has to be the Thai ID number associated with your SIM card in their database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get the wife to try to get it and report the findings.

JDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JDM said:

I will get the wife to try to get it and report the findings.

JDM

My wife just got it she is using AIS seems its a one off 30 day give away.

JDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 free minutes talk time now on offer, and this one is available to both Thais and non-Thais.  Same code as before for Thais, and this is what AIS say for non-Thais.  The other companies are hopefully the same.

Foreign AIS customers can apply for the 100 free minutes by sending their passport number by SMS to 170 between May 1 and 15. The service is available to both post-paid and pre-paid subscribers.

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...