Dubai last night

coxyhog

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

Can't be, way too much effort to entangle two stabilizers as those are quite small (relative to the rest of the plane).

Think the A350 is composite construction .

Very difficult and expensive to repair.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, monkey_omelette said:

Isn't one plane a damaged stabilizer the other the elevator?

Good point, but usually the elevator is part of the stabilizer unit and complete replacement of the unit is the quickest and easiest solution anyway.

17 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Good point, but usually the elevator is part of the stabilizer unit and complete replacement of the unit is the quickest and easiest solution anyway.

Much,much easier to replace an elevator than the whole stab....but it looks like the rear spar of the stab may be damaged so maybe no choice.

19 hours ago, KWA said:

Another pic.  The BA aircraft was running freight only service and was being pushed back at the time.

image.png

I cant think they would buy A350 for frieght and it has windows! Unless it has been reassigned from passengers to freight, but then capacity would be reduced by all the seats negating the fuel saving!. And how would you load it through that small doorway?

I'm so bored! lol

Edited by eyes4thais

20 minutes ago, eyes4thais said:

I cant think they would buy A350 for frieght and it has windows! Unless it has been reassigned from passengers to freight, but then capacity would be reduced by all the seats negating the fuel saving!. And how would you load it through that small doorway?

I'm so bored! lol

Aren't we all!

According to a link posted on Pprune it was freight only.You can still get quite a bit in the cargo holds & there ain't many self loading cargo around at the moment.

47 minutes ago, eyes4thais said:

I'm so bored! lol

They're converting some passenger plans to haul cargo.

Medicine, phones and strawberries: As passengers drop 90%, desperate airlines convert to cargo to stay afloat

View image on Twitter

9 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I've worked on a few pax to cargo conversions and putting a big cargo door into the side of a fuselage is a huge undertaking and takes many months,not just the structural work but the design.

The B747 Combis were great for that. Martin Air could convert a combi from "full" pax to half pax half freight and back in less time than anybody else including Boeing.

Of course, the lower deck was always already full cargo. KLM still has some of those Combis and those were the preferred means of transporting horses and ponies world wide for most customers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

I'm so bored! lol

Lots of airlines running "ghost flights" now just for the freight capacity.  16 tonnes in the belly hold of an A350.