Time to buy stocks? Which ones do you like?

alias

I was pondering Exxon (XOM) when it was at 31, and stupidly balked.  It's now at 40, prolly not to see 31 again.  Oil stocks are seeing a double whammy, and I think I missed my shot at the bottom.

Have we seen the bottom of the market as a whole?  I think......  not.

Once this is actually over and then when markets realise how much this has impacted the economies around the world .... then I might think about reinvesting , but I'm thinking at least six months , also I don't believe it will be V shaped , but very slow ...

however I'm sure @RR007 will have a few recommendations foe us all ..... 😉 

• Haha 1

You're a bit too late I'm afraid. 

I snapped up a few good deals 2 weeks ago e.g. Tesla that gained 40% in a fortnight, and even I was late. 

They may rally more still but be aware of Q1 results and 2020 forecasts coming out across the board these weeks as well as unemployment figures etc. 

Could go up could go down! 🙂

2 hours ago, Esco said:

I snapped up a few good deals 2 weeks ago e.g. Tesla that gained 40% in a fortnight, and even I was late. 

They may rally more still but be aware of Q1 results and 2020 forecasts coming out across the board these weeks as well as unemployment figures etc. 

I may be late on an individual stock (see XOM), but I don't think the market as a whole has bottomed yet.  Too much bad news on the way.

Nice job on TSLA

Edited by alias

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Once this is actually over and then when markets realise how much this has impacted the economies around the world .... then I might think about reinvesting , but I'm thinking at least six months , also I don't believe it will be V shaped , but very slow ...

however I'm sure @RR007 will have a few recommendations foe us all ..... 😉 

https://thailand-247.com/index.php?/topic/1458-share-tips/

6 hours ago, alias said:

I may be late on an individual stock (see XOM), but I don't think the market as a whole has bottomed yet.  Too much bad news on the way.

Nice job on TSLA

That I tend to agree with, so it's a good time now to sell the stocks you've bought 3 weeks ago and wait for the next dip before buying again. These lockdowns keep getting extended here in Europe which is killing the economy. Let's hope the US will lead the way. 

For myself sold a few shares last week to use up my capital gains tax allowance.

The rest I'm more than happy with and will continue to hold.

As a rule before jumping in I'd suggest if you are trying to market time, have a look at @Steelers4Life helpful gif, and only buy a stock that you want to hold for 5 years+/ and/or don't need the cash.

My only forecast is we will continue to see huge volatility.

Will we see a second shock, financial shock months down the line, as business defaults rise, possibly Sovereign states default. What will be the effect on the financial system, will be see another 2007/08 financial crises?

Myself I've obviously no clue, no sticking with only buying into firms that I'm happy to hold for 5 years.

Wouldn't touch an airline, some of them could go all the way down to zero .My abiding memory of 2007/08 was seeing banks with illusory accounting profits going bust, time to go with firms that have a real cash flow and low debt, and stick with them

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, Esco said:

Hope you cashed in on Tesla before last Friday. 
energy stocks are looking good now . Only way is up I think 

3 hours ago, Homor said:

Hope you cashed in on Tesla before last Friday. 
energy stocks are looking good now . Only way is up I think 

Yes I cashed in already a couple weeks ago on Tesla, ServiceNow and Splunk.

They have all risen a few % more after I cashed out, apart from Tesla after Friday's tweet. 

As I told my mate yesterday, drugs and Twitter dont mix well and Musk is living proof of that lol. 

Cant say I agree with your last sentence though. The markets have recovered so strongly up to the point where I think the only way is down. 

It's as if fundamentals and key indicators are being ignored. Here's one for you. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/buffett-indicator-surges-record-high-signaling-potential-crash-2020-4-1029149296

On 4/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, Lemondropkid said:

and only buy a stock that you want to hold for 5 years+/ and/or don't need the cash.

At 67, I can't gamble on that .....  Hence I moved out of my winners, and now sit on the fence.

But a good time for day trading for someone  that want spend the day in front of his screen. Not me, the NYSE has a 12h difference with here.....

I'm also at an age where I can no longer take a long term outlook on market investments.

I missed the boat on divesting during the drop from the highs in mid-February, but did take advantage of the recent market recovery to unload almost all my investments last week. The one I still hold, and am reluctant to part with as it's been by far the best performer in my portfolio is VGT, Vanguard Information Technology ETF. I'm now of the mind to sell that as well as there's no longer much upside potential, but a large downside to holding.

At some point I'll again start purchasing ETF's, but I'll wait until there are both good technical signals the market is in a true recovery, as well as positive economic news to support that recovery.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

, but I'll wait until there are both good technical signals the market is in a true recovery, as well as positive economic news to support that recovery.

It just takes a tweet from the Weatherman to render all technical and fundamental signs irrelevant .....

Wait till he starts again with China .

• 1 month later...