Time to buy stocks? Which ones do you like?

alias

A decent enough article on the apparent market disconnect from reality.

Stocks soar despite coronavirus and a recession. It's time for a reality check, and a crash.
Psychological factors are making markets poor gauges of the U.S. economy's strength. We should wrench our eyeballs from the ticker tape before it's too late.

There's also this index which I find interesting. Fear & Greed Index

What is the Fear & Greed Index?
Investors are driven by two emotions: fear and greed. Too much fear can sink stocks well below where they should be. When investors get greedy, they can bid up stock prices way too far.

So what emotion is driving the market now? CNNMoney's Fear & Greed index makes it clear.

image.png

image.png

I cashed out a month ago from the market. With more years behind than ahead of me, I no longer have the luxury of time to ride out market crashes. And I'm fairly confident we're going to see a rather large market correction in the not too distant future.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:56 AM, Toy Boy said:

How about buying Thai shares to provide a Baht income from the dividends?

bit late to answer but you'd have to do a fair bit of homework on it, probably easier to pick some good performing blue chip shares and hold onto them long term. I'm currently topping up on Imperial Brands which are fairly cheap and offer a good dividend, plus it comes in quarterly which is a bonus. I'm also considering throwing some money at BAT as they aim to meet the 210 pence per share dividend this year, which, when the shares are around £27 each is close to 10%, but again I'm holding off on BAT for the moment.

I grabbed some Purple Bricks shares in late May at about 36 pence each, I was going to cash out the other week at 55 pence, but they dropped, they're now up to 51 pence which is still not bad value, and possibly a mid term share as the UK Govt have suspended Stamp Duty and Boris is on about stimulating the UK economy by encouraging building. At that price, it's probably worth risking a monkey on it, if things go well there might be a tidy little profit at the end pf all this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 5:25 PM, Butch said:

I grabbed some Purple Bricks shares in late May at about 36 pence each, I was going to cash out the other week at 55 pence, but they dropped, they're now up to 51 pence which is still not bad value, and possibly a mid term share as the UK Govt have suspended Stamp Duty and Boris is on about stimulating the UK economy by encouraging building. At that price, it's probably worth risking a monkey on it, if things go well there might be a tidy little profit at the end pf all this.

Just after posting I topped up £500 on Purple Bricks at 51.90, as of today they're up to 71p pence. Still a bit of movement left in them, might see them up to about £1 a share over the next 3 months.

Taylor Wimpey are also looking good. at 120 pence per share they're down a chunk from their normal level. Stable company, again, with the Govt breaks on Stamp duty it can only bode well for the Builders.

Imperial Brands are very cheap, good for a long term punt of 5 years or more to reap the future dividends, or perhaps avail of any hostile takeover bid. Shares will drop because the current CFO just jacked in, worth a look, but they are not a cheap share.

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 7:03 AM, alias said:

I was pondering Exxon (XOM) when it was at 31, and stupidly balked.  It's now at 40, prolly not to see 31 again.  Oil stocks are seeing a double whammy, and I think I missed my shot at the bottom.

Have we seen the bottom of the market as a whole?  I think......  not.

Might still see 31. Friday's close:

Capture.JPG