Anti farang feeling

Smiler

Spoke to a mate of mine today who has been in Thailand for the last 15 years, he reports there is a very real anti farang feeling around largely due to that twat of a minister and an editorial in the BP 

This is the second time I have heard about it from sources I would trust and I have to say I am a bit shocked buy not completely surprised.

Anyone heard or experienced this?

Personally, I don't think this is just a recent thing. The current Thai administration has been moving towards china in recent years. Whilst a lot of people blame the health minister, and rightly so, the current PM has been having pops at farangs for a long time. 

He actually blamed the provacative dancing at Thai style music festivals on foreigners. Though I don't think the comments from the health minister have helped, neither has the way some farang have behaved, using it as an excuse for an extended holiday.

• Like 3

“I understand that in a business sense, you have to find new things to sell. But you also have to look at whether it’s appropriate. Shouldn’t we retain Thainess? And to those who say that this kind of dancing has been around for long, don’t you want to improve society at all?” he said. “Just because farangs are doing it doesn’t mean we have to.”

“The way she dances, she’s about to show all her genitals already. I don’t want to talk about it, people will say I’m crazy. But I want everyone to help solve this problem,” said Prayuth when he first brought up Lumyai.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/06/13/prayuth-criticizes-teen-singers-sexy-dancing-blames-farangs/amp/

I have to say i have'nt noticed any change in attitude towards me whatsoever. All the Thais i know and any i come into contact with here in Korat are no different than they have always been, which is very friendly and polite, long may it continue. Now as to the behaviour of certain politicians, that leaves a lot to be desired !!! 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I have to say i have'nt noticed any change in attitude towards me whatsoever. All the Thais i know and any i come into contact with here in Korat are no different than they have always been, which is very friendly and polite, long may it continue. Now as to the behaviour of certain politicians, that leaves a lot to be desired !!! 

Exactly the same for me both where I am now currently in Mae Sot and previously in Bangsaray. I will be very surprised if it is any different when we are eventually permitted to drive back to Bangsaray.

Having said that, I always felt that a minority of Thai's in Pattaya resented us particularly the younger generation. Pattaya, in so many respects, is not typical of Thailand as a whole.

• Like 4

The way I see it .... never mind ...  just live your life on YOUR terms ...

There will always be haters ... people that are jealous .... resentful idiots ... dumb-ass government officials ... etceteras  .. in all societies / countries

And if it gets to the point someone gets in your face ... just "eliminate" the threat  ... ( which I have seen none of that here yet and seriously doubt that I will )

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes ... me either in BKK or here in the deep South ... for the most part people know we are all in this together ...

And when I am home in the South I am the only farang for miles, miles and many more miles around ... 

Life is not all doom and gloom ....

• Thumbs Up 2

Don’t know why the Thais would be immune to this is their own country.

I’ve seen plenty of cunts with white skin over the last 25 years that I’ve wanted to shoot in the chest...

maybe the OP should share his buddies names?

Edited by Skalliwag

4 minutes ago, roobob said:

Up my way in Issan have not seen any change in their friendly demeanor from the Thais towards farangs..... all has been the same.

cheers

It hasn't, friendly as always. The Thais in the red light districts may show some aggression, but that's not really Thailand. More to the LOS than neon lights.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Don’t know why the Thais would be immune to this is their own country.

I’ve seen plenty of cunts with white skin over the last 25 years that I’ve wanted to shoot in the chest...

maybe the OP should share his buddies names?

I like beating them down first ....

Pattaya is an extremely cosmopolitan place, sure you'll always get the occasional evil eye from somebody, usually a young Thai man, but I haven't noticed anything different here. If you're living up in Nakhon Nowhere, though, and are the only farang for 30 km then it may be a different story...

Thanks for the replies from guys on the ground. Always good to hear and reassuring with regards to the topic title.

There is an element in any country that is quick to blame immigrants for the problems they face, never more so than in the UK 😒 also in Thailand.

I am concerned for my friend who has been living in Thailand and Laos for a long time. If he is picking up on bad vibes I have no doubt they are real so I guess they are related to his own experiences and circumstances.

For myself I haven't noticed any rise in anti farang sentiment on the limited Thai social media I get to see. Sincerely hope it stays that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would think it depends on the behaviour of the foreigner, if you act like an arse in a broke society you may be noticed more than if you kept yourself to yourself.

Thais can get upset with those Thais coming in from another village if they misbehave, especially when drunk. A foreigner misbehaving or standing out a bit possibly showing a lack of respect could be in for a bad time.

Always respect those around you, be known for no trouble and I doubt a problem would occur especially when those around you are a little pissed off with life.

I am sure if you are respected by the headsman of the village or important families you will always have a comfortable day.

• Like 4