Stayin' Alive by Staying at Home (updated May 21, 2021)

13 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0826a.jpg

I went with two of my nieces to the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery on Sunday afternoon to pay our respects to my late sister and her husband. The surroundings are beautiful and it's a very calm and dignified final resting place.

IMG_0831a.jpg

The cemetery has strict rules about floral arrangements and no raised headstones. It has a pond, so some wild geese were wandering about.

IMG_0830a.jpg

IMG_0832a.jpg

The previous Friday in the same cemetery, an elderly couple (85 and 86 years) was shot and killed by a 29-year-old man. A policeman was by chance at the cemetery at the time or arrived very quickly, as he chased the shooter into the forest behind the cemetery.  They exchanged gunfire, but the shooter escaped. The cemetery is only four miles from my niece's house and the State Police sent out a reverse 911 message with a "active shooter, shelter-in-place" alert to area residents. Four hours later the police found the shooter dead in a different part of the forest. Whether he had died from a wound he received during the shootout or killed himself is not yet clear.

It's a sad observation on American life that a place intended as a peaceful resting place for men and women who served their country became the scene of such a violent and senseless act.  So far, the very few details have been released and there's been no suggestion as to a motive for the shooting.  Local Internet chatter claims the perp had intended to go after more victims, but the fortunate appearance of the police officer thwarted a mass shooting.  The authorities refuse to comment about motive.

This had been a true "shelter-in-place" situation.  Used correctly, the term means those warned should stay where they are and not proceed further.  Such warnings are primarily issued for weather events like snowstorms, floods and hurricanes or tropical storms, but also for active shooter incidents. Strictly speaking, shelter-in-place should be used about remaining in the open (indoors or outdoors) because of an imminent danger of physical harm.  It's not the same thing as a "stay-at-home" or lockdown order.

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg.844f79c467285ef13f9680325ef7b74d.jpg

You’re right, that is a messed up story, very sad. A couple of that age, gunned down in a cemetery......there are no words. 
Just read about another one today, from April, a golf pro from Syracuse and his new girlfriend were gunned down in his new Jeep in Juarez. Juarez has been under lockdown....so only 100 murders since late March! Apparently they couldn’t get back into the US, and she was a dual citizen who split time between Texas and Mexico, he had $ and liked to escape the winter cold. I was like WTF, the cartels really got the wrong people, but her Facebook had a Spanish comment when translated, that read like..she used to be the “property” of a narco, and the American boyfriend should have known better. SMH

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

A painful reminder of why it's important to follow the rules during the pandemic.

Evil

AP.JPG.ecebca770ea0ae934e7b13aaf7fc84d7.JPG

Woman falls into thermal feature in closed Yellowstone park

May 12, 2020

800.jpeg

MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, Wyo. (AP) — A woman illegally visited Yellowstone National Park while it’s closed during the coronavirus pandemic and suffered burns Tuesday when she fell into a thermal feature, officials said.

She was reportedly backing up while taking photos and fell into a hot spring or hole where hot gases emerge near Old Faithful geyser, park spokeswoman Linda Veress said in an email.

Despite her injuries, the woman drove for roughly 50 miles (80 kilometers) until park rangers stopped her near Mammoth Hot Springs. She was flown to a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Park officials did not release the woman’s name or the extent of her injuries.

Yellowstone National Park has been closed since March 24. Yellowstone and nearby Grand Teton National Park will announce plans for a phased reopening Wednesday.

Visitors are warned to stay on the boardwalks near Yellowstone’s often boiling or acidic thermal features, which include geysers, hot springs, steam vents and mud pots. Tourists sometimes go off the designated walkways and are injured or killed.

Last fall, a man who was walking off a boardwalk near Old Faithful at night fell into a hot spring, suffering serious burns.

In June 2016, 23-year-old Colin Scott of Portland, Oregon, fell into a superheated, acidic mud pot and died. His remains couldn’t be recovered.

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

A painful reminder of why it's important to follow the rules during the pandemic.

Evil

AP.JPG.ecebca770ea0ae934e7b13aaf7fc84d7.JPG

Woman falls into thermal feature in closed Yellowstone park

May 12, 2020

800.jpeg

MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, Wyo. (AP) — A woman illegally visited Yellowstone National Park while it’s closed during the coronavirus pandemic and suffered burns Tuesday when she fell into a thermal feature, officials said.

She was reportedly backing up while taking photos and fell into a hot spring or hole where hot gases emerge near Old Faithful geyser, park spokeswoman Linda Veress said in an email.

Despite her injuries, the woman drove for roughly 50 miles (80 kilometers) until park rangers stopped her near Mammoth Hot Springs. She was flown to a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Park officials did not release the woman’s name or the extent of her injuries.

Yellowstone National Park has been closed since March 24. Yellowstone and nearby Grand Teton National Park will announce plans for a phased reopening Wednesday.

Visitors are warned to stay on the boardwalks near Yellowstone’s often boiling or acidic thermal features, which include geysers, hot springs, steam vents and mud pots. Tourists sometimes go off the designated walkways and are injured or killed.

Last fall, a man who was walking off a boardwalk near Old Faithful at night fell into a hot spring, suffering serious burns.

In June 2016, 23-year-old Colin Scott of Portland, Oregon, fell into a superheated, acidic mud pot and died. His remains couldn’t be recovered.

What has that to do with C19 ? Same as having a car accident on the way to the supermarket ...

11 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

What has that to do with C19 ? Same as having a car accident on the way to the supermarket ...

The park was closed due to Covid 19 restrictions, she should not have been there.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Smiler said:

The park was closed due to Covid 19 restrictions, she should not have been there.

I stand by my point. She didn't die from C19.  She had an accident.  Same as somebody falling of a cliff when taking a selfie....

Of course if one chooces to stay all his life in his bedroom, the risk of any accident is reduced. 

This kind of headlines is pure sensationalisme BS to attract clicks.  

In fact the whole title of the thread is ridiculous....

Of course if you never do anything or venture anywhere in life, stay home all your life you will reduce accident, sickness, injury etc.... 

Edited by Thai Spice

32 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I stand by my point. She didn't die from C19.  She had an accident.  Same as somebody falling of a cliff when taking a selfie....

Of course if one chooces to stay all his life in his bedroom, the risk of any accident is reduced. 

This kind of headlines is pure sensationalisme BS to attract clicks.  

In fact the whole title of the thread is ridiculous....

Of course if you never do anything or venture anywhere in life, stay home all your life you will reduce accident, sickness, injury etc.... 

Let the Moderators decide what threads and input are acceptable

Perhaps you might wish to start up some interesting topics yourself instead of taking petty swipes for the sake of posting. 

His post is quite acceptable. End of 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

It's not at all the same as having a car accident on the way to the supermarket.  Because the park was closed and no one was around,  she endured  a long delay before she got medical attention.  Here are the two sentences that highlight the difference from a car accident:

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

She fell into a thermal feature, aka geyser or hot spring, near the Old Faithful Geyser,  which is one of the most famous natural landmarks in the U.S.  When Yellowstone is open, hundreds of people flock to it.  If the woman had fallen into a hot spring while the park was open, she would have gotten immediate medical attention.  As it was, she had to drive for  at minimum an hour before she got help.  Ouch!!!  Her burns had to have been quite severe; otherwise she wouldn't have been flown by helicopter to a burn center.  Double ouch!!! 

That's very different from having a car accident in an area where an ambulance will be on site in minutes.  There's nothing sensational about the headline or the story.  It brings home the potentially dangerous consequences of  breaking rules regarding closed areas.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

It brings home the potentially dangerous consequences of  breaking rules regarding closed areas.

Breaking rules can be fun. But common sense should prevail.  

Like, do I really want to go anywhere close to a hospital in this period ? 

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Rules are for the instruction of fools and the guidance of wise men.

I've got a pretty good idea into which category you fall.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Yes, common sense should tell you that avoiding jail is even more important than avoiding hospitals, both in terms of risks of infection and other unpleasant consequences.  By entering the park while it was closed,  the woman committed a Federal offense that could result in jail time.

Moreover, insurance policies in the U.S. don't cover medical expenses for injuries suffered during an illegal activity.  The woman could end up with hefty medical bills her insurance won't pay.

Evil

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Yes, common sense should tell you that avoiding jail is even more important than avoiding hospitals, both in terms of risks of infection and other unpleasant consequences.  By entering the park while it was closed,  the woman committed a Federal offense that could result in jail time.

Moreover, insurance policies in the U.S. don't cover medical expenses for injuries suffered during an illegal activity.  The woman could end up with hefty medical bills her insurance won't pay.

Evil

A bit dramatizing, are we ? ...😁😁😁😄😄😄

But hey, it's drama and end of the world season, so ....

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

A bit dramatizing, are we ? ...😁😁😁😄😄😄

But hey, it's drama and end of the world season, so ....

Not dramatizing  at all.  Here's an example from the official Yellowstone Web site:

Yellowstone.JPG

Two men sentenced to ten days in jail 
for Yellowstone thermal trespass violations

MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, WY - Two men were recently sentenced for trespassing on the cone of Old Faithful Geyser, a closed thermal area. Eric Schefflin, 20, of Lakewood, Colorado, and Ryan Goetz, 25, of Woodstock, New York, appeared in court on December 5, 2019, before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Carman at the Yellowstone Justice Center in Mammoth Hot Springs, Wyoming. 

Schefflin and Goetz pleaded guilty to the violation of thermal trespass. On September 10, 2019, at about 8:30 p.m., employees and visitors witnessed two individuals walking on the cone of Old Faithful Geyser and reported it to park dispatch. A ranger contacted and cited Schefflin and Goetz.

Sentencing for each included:

• 10 days of incarceration
  • $540 in restitution
  • Five years of unsupervised probation 
  • Five year ban from Yellowstone National Park

Visitors must realize that walking on thermal features is dangerous, damages the resource, and illegal. Law enforcement officers take this violation seriously. Yellowstone National Park also appreciates the court for recognizing the impact thermal trespass can have on these amazing features,” said Chief Ranger Sarah Davis.

Visit PACER, Public Access to Court Electronic Records, for court-related documents.

The ground in hydrothermal areas is fragile and thin, and there is scalding water just below the surface. Visitors must always remain on boardwalks and exercise extreme caution around thermal features. Learn more about safety in thermal areas at go.nps.gov/yellsafety.

-END-

In the U.S., almost all insurance policies contain "exclusion clauses" for illegal acts.

Evil

• Surprised 1

MSN news.JPG

Plexiglass barriers are popping up in restaurants around the world, 
and they could become the new normal when eating out 

[email protected] (Rachel Askinasi) 14 hrs ago 

• With Italy loosening its lockdown restrictions, and restaurants potentially opening by June 1, a few eateries are experimenting with plexiglass barriers to help people keep apart.
  • Some restaurants in Taipei and Hong Kong appear to already be using barriers like these.
  • However, some restaurateurs think plexiglass panels would ruin the ambiance and keep people out of their dining rooms.
  • As restaurants in parts of the US start to reopen, they're also trying to figure out the best safety measures to take.
  • One Texas restaurant is using plexiglass barriers, while other parts of the country are thinking about how to maximize outdoor space to create distance between diners.

Italy.jpg

A demonstration of how plexiglass barriers would be set up at Goga Café in Milan. Claudio Furlan/LaPresse via AP.   Italy's restaurant owners have been demonstrating how they see translucent barriers working in their dining rooms.

With the rules of Italy's nationwide lockdown beginning to relax, restaurants across the country are gearing up for the possible reopening of their dining rooms on June 1, and trying to figure out how they'll keep their customers and employees safe. Some restaurants are testing plexiglass barriers on and around tables designed to help patrons keep their distance from others. 

Italy's restaurant owners have been demonstrating how they see translucent barriers working in their dining rooms.  Dario and Neri Goga, owners of Goga Café  pictured above, hosted a demonstration for media on how they plan to construct barriers in their Milan restaurant.  Visible from the photo, plexiglass runs along and extends past the edges of the long side of each table. Some tables also appear to have sheets of the glass cutting between the two diners sharing the table.  Brothers Andrea and Valerio Calderoni, owners of Ristorante Il Ciak in Rome, showed their take on the safety measures by installing one sheet of plexiglass between two diners and another in the aisle. (Ristorante Il Ciak is currently open for takeout.)

(READ MORE)

Edited by Evil Penevil

On Saturday night I went to a small "stay-at-home" birthday celebration for another of my nieces, not the one with whom I'm staying.   It was certainly different from what I would have been doing on a Saturday night in Pattaya.

IMG_0861.jpg

The niece with the birthday has a thing about bunny rabbits.  She not only has rabbits as pets, but collects bunny figurines and other bunny decorative items.  She belongs to bunny clubs, takes part in competitive shows, rehabilitates injured rabbits, etc.

Untitled-2.jpg

The bunnies are larger than the rabbits most of us think of and have red eyes.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

One room in the house is like a shrine to bunnies, with cages for the bunnies to live in and wooden castles where they can play.

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Of course her birthday cake, made by my other niece, was also bunny-shaped.

Untitled-3.jpg

Because the weather was so nice, we sat outdoors on the patio that had been built by Bunny Niece's husband.  He has a white-collar profession, but is skilled at masonry and woodworking.

IMG_0856.jpg

We had birthday pizza and other foods.  I had a turkey wrap with Old Bay fries.  Old Bay is a spice mixture mainly used on seafood.  It's very popular in Maryland and Delaware.

Untitled-4.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Bunny Nice's husband got a pleasant fire going on the patio and served me a bottle of locally brewed Mad Elf Ale. With 12% alcohol, it packed a good punch.

Untitled-1.jpg

They have a shed in the backyard for housing rabbits when needed.

IMG_0850.jpg

I didn't see any wild rabbits hopping around, but there were plenty of squirrels.  On a good evening, deer come out of the forest to eat at the deer feeder they have set up.

IMG_0849.jpg

It was a pleasant few hours but I definitely prefer Pattaya-style Saturday nights!  :default_devil:  :default_party-smiley-048:

On Sunday I made a pot-roast dinner for the four of us. The star of the dish was a chuck roast ...

IMG_0883.jpg

... with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, fresh thyme, mushrooms and garlic.

IMG_0882.jpg

I browned the meat on both sides ...

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

... then everything into the slow cooker on low for eight hours.

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

The pot roast was served with sweet corn on the cob and biscuits.  :default_good:   It can't get much more American than that.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

That's what my life has become: family gatherings, cooking food, working around the house and relying on the Internet and TV for entertainment.  It's very comfortable and probably the best under the circumstances, but I really hope I will be able to get back to Thailand in the not-too-distant future.  You don't really appreciate what you had until it's gone.  But I do wonder what the go go bars would be like if they served 12% beer. :default_drink:   :default_cheers:

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

On Saturday night I went to a small "stay-at-home" birthday celebration for another of my nieces, not the one with whom I'm staying.   It was certainly different from what I would have been doing on a Saturday night in Pattaya.

IMG_0861.jpg

The niece with the birthday has a thing about bunny rabbits.  She not only has rabbits as pets, but collects bunny figurines and other bunny decorative items.  She belongs to bunny clubs, takes part in competitive shows, rehabilitates injured rabbits, etc.

Untitled-2.jpg

The bunnies are larger than the rabbits most of us think of and have red eyes.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

One room in the house is like a shrine to bunnies, with cages for the bunnies to live in and wooden castles where they can play.

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Of course her birthday cake, made by my other niece, was also bunny-shaped.

Untitled-3.jpg

Because the weather was so nice, we sat outdoors on the patio that had been built by Bunny Niece's husband.  He has a white-collar profession, but is skilled at masonry and woodworking.

IMG_0856.jpg

We had birthday pizza and other foods.  I had a turkey wrap with Old Bay fries.  Old Bay is a spice mixture mainly used on seafood.  It's very popular in Maryland and Delaware.

Untitled-4.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Bunny Nice's husband got a pleasant fire going on the patio and served me a bottle of locally brewed Mad Elf Ale. With 12% alcohol, it packed a good punch.

Untitled-1.jpg

They have a shed in the backyard for housing rabbits when needed.

IMG_0850.jpg

I didn't see any wild rabbits hopping around, but there were plenty of squirrels.  On a good evening, deer come out of the forest to eat at the deer feeder they have set up.

IMG_0849.jpg

It was a pleasant few hours but I definitely prefer Pattaya-style Saturday nights!  :default_devil:  :default_party-smiley-048:

On Sunday I made a pot-roast dinner for the four of us. The star of the dish was a chuck roast ...

IMG_0883.jpg

... with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, fresh thyme, mushrooms and garlic.

IMG_0882.jpg

I browned the meat on both sides ...

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

... then everything into the slow cooker on low for eight hours.

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

The pot roast was served with sweet corn on the cob and biscuits.  :default_good:   It can't get much more American than that.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

That's what my life has become: family gatherings, cooking food, working around the house and relying on the Internet and TV for entertainment.  It's very comfortable and probably the best under the circumstances, but I really hope I will be able to get back to Thailand in the not-too-distant future.  You don't really appreciate what you had until it's gone.  But I do wonder what the go go bars would be like if they served 12% beer. :default_drink:   :default_cheers:

Evil

Food likes great Evester.The rabbit room is a bit of a worry.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that someone who's on the ground in Pattaya can help me with this one.  I've heard some disturbing rumors that the COVID-19 virus has mutated in Jomtien and WS now looks like this:

IMG_0095aa.jpg.a84c3ae054e02bb013928290728059a0.jpg

It won't matter to everyone, though,  because the zombies are after brains and some Pattaya ex-pats don't have any, so they are immune.

But during the COVID-19 pandemic, contradictory information is rife.  I've also heard it's just a re-animation of zombie Internet trolls who don't pay attention to lockdowns or bans.  They have always targeted BM's with brains and tried to make victims of them, so nothing new there. Again, a condo in Jomtien is said to be at the epicenter as well as the source of Zombie Zero.  COVID-19 has turned a CC into a ZZ.

Rumors about the 8,000-ton gorilla that's been in the Pattaya bar scene for the past 15 years.  The gorilla, with the rather unwieldy name of Over-Establishment, may be driven out of WS by the virus, perhaps never to return.  Does anyone know?

pattaya_sign_01.jpg.3ab698d0d64907620610e63a1d70ba42.jpg

I read on Facebook  the long-sought missing link in human evolution had finally been found in Pattaya.  That I deem highly credible, as I'm sure I've seen the link guy hanging out on Soi Buakhao.  But just in case it isn't true, I've blurred his face to protect his privacy.

link.jpg.77ed0d4aed9c4644ed18d4c23e3a2bfe.jpg

During the pandemic,  a whole army of straw men has invaded the Pattaya forums.  Straw men have always troubled the Pattaya boards, but they are much more numerous now than ever before.  That I can confirm from my vantage point in the U.S.

IMG_0105j.jpg.9cb4948ea4d0861e1a29389114752b89.jpg.36e401eb9e41b0630a7b933025a21ec1.jpg

Just some things I've heard about or noticed since late January.  :EvilLaugh1:  :D

Evil

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

IMG_0980a.jpg

Last Sunday I was inspired to make the Louisiana classic jambalaya for dinner.  It turned quite well.

IMG_0982.jpg

The ingredients:  shrimp, chicken, Andouille sausage,  ham, onion, celery,  green  and red peppers,  Creole seasoning, garlic, oregano, bay leaves and canned diced tomatoes. 

IMG_0971.jpg

I made my own stock from the shells of the shrimp.

IMG_0964.jpg

The Holy Trinity of Louisiana cooking: onion, bell pepper and celery.

IMG_0975.jpg

My inspiration to make jambalaya came from a thread on another board started by Cerberus, the owner of the Devil's Den.  He asked about where one could possibly  find the Cajun seasoning Slap Ya Mama and Andouille sausage in Thailand. Both are key ingredients in jambalaya, gumbo and other Louisiana dishes.

IMG_0941.jpg.2c89f59bd211421d93a285d6c45

Nowadays you can get both Slap Ya Mama and Andouille sausage in any supermarket  in the U.S.  

IMG_0958.jpg.386522a86afb4c51368b5caefe54fde3.jpg

I tried to answer as helpfully as I could.  It's easy enough to make your own approximation of Slap Ya Mama. It's equal parts of salt, red pepper (probably cayenne), black pepper and garlic powder.

IMG_0951.jpg.345e17124b6975593c9ea3fc23a064cf.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg.b36e72d1cfc22f5bc3fd756e4e0f78fd.jpg

Which seasoning you use depends on whether you are making Cajun-style jambalaya or Creole (New Orleans) style red jambalaya.  The Creole version includes diced tomatoes, Cajun-style doesn't.  If you're going for New Orleans style, then Tony Chachere's seasoning might be a better choice. I believe it is (or at least was) available at Villa Market and the Food Hall at Central Festival.

do indeed have a lot of time on my hands these days, so I experimented for about 30 minutes trying to replicate  Slap Ya Mama.  I got a good result using 1 teaspoon salt; 1 teaspoon garlic powder; 1 teaspoon black pepper;  1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika; and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (you could also use 1 teaspoon cayenne and skip the smoked paprika if it's hard to get).

Slap Ya Mama doesn't add much flavor in and of itself.  The great thing about it is the balance between salt and heat.  It was originally intended as a rub for grilling or blackening that didn't have too much salt but a good amount of heat.  I mainly use Slap Ya Mama as a table spice because a gentle sprinkling perks up bland dishes (mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, vegetables, chicken, pork and especially corn on the cob). I don't think it's crucial to have Slap Ya Mama to make jambalaya, although it is convenient.

There is a knock-off version that might be sold in Pattaya.  It's cheap, but fake, dishonest and leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.

Mama.jpg

Andouille sausage is more problematic.  In my opinion- and take it with however many grains of Cajun seasoning you want-  chorizo is not a good substitute for Andouille, at least not the chorizo you're likely to find in Pattaya.  When you read on the Net about using chorizo in jambalaya, the writers are referring to the Mexican chorizo that's available in the U.S..  It's very different in taste and texture from Spanish chorizo, which is probably what you'd find in Central Festival , Friendship or Villa Market.

Andouille is a heavily smoked pork sausage and it's just that smoky hint you want in jambalaya. It's probably better to go with a smoked  pork sausage, either German or Polish. But even here you need to be careful.  "Kielbasa" is the Polish word for sausage.  In the U.S., almost all kielbasa sold in grocery stores is smoked, but traditionally,  Polish sausage isn't smoked or only lightly smoked. German sausages are often heavily smoked, but lack heat and may contain spices that clash with jambalaya.

It's also possible to accept the inevitable and substitute smoked ham for Andouille or use ham and German/Polish sausage.  Not ideal, but the result is OK, considering Andouille is so difficult to obtain outside the U.S.

In the end,  all the discussion about jambalaya awakened a yearning for it.  No crawfish pie or file gumbo and we didn't pick guitar, fill fruit jar or go hog wild, but we had a good stay-at-home meal, if not on the bayou.

Evil
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That looks tasty Evil. I’ve never had jambalaya that authentic, just a pasta at Boston Pizza up here that calls itself that, but is nothing like what you made. And a rice mix out of a box that had great flavour, but again nothing like you made

It's an easy recipe, but it would be getting Andouille sausage in Thailand that would a problem.  You really do need Andouille for a proper jambalaya.  However, you can make a tasty approximation of jambalaya using a packaged rice mix and smoked German or Polish sausage.  The rice mix contains all the spices you need.  I used long-grain white rice because I wanted to control the seasoning and was using a slow cooker,  but I have in the past made "quick jambalaya" using a rice mix and it wasn't bad.

IMG_0946.jpg.843eef2ee8b4571d7e2f6d7d87f12672.jpg

Evil

IMG_0988.jpg.1a4efb33c93ad7df907042676a4

Last night we had a southern-inspired meal, but this time one of my nieces did the cooking,  She made a delicious Carolina Seafood Boil. We had king crab, shrimp, mussels, clams, Polish sausage, corn on the cob and small red potatoes all cooked together with Creole seasoning and asparagus and garlic bread on the side.

IMG_0986.jpg.341deef44ae3a753e4c761b054d

The weather was perfect for eating on her veranda. Here's the "before" pics of the ingredients:

IMG_0984.jpg.4231b1ac74bbf32dbbd255656eb

IMG_0985.jpg.341b19e068936a977c79a07fdb2

And the after:

IMG_0991.jpg.3deb37e80f9135e7a577ac82ce3

IMG_0993.jpg.231123fc212be5023be4d5e1db1

IMG_0998.jpg.189bd191babbe8948961a9dea45

I contributed the dessert: New Orleans bread pudding with raisins and rum butter sauce.

IMG_1002.jpg.7663d25942537dfbe90d0994198

IMG_1006.jpg.39ed82ba3b262fa6eccbbd88b61

Seafood boils have a long history in the U.S.  There are many regional variations.  The Carolina type we had emphasizes crab and shrimp but leaves out the crayfish which are the main feature of a Louisiana boil. It's a fantastic dish, but easy to make.

If nothing else, I am eating very well during the COVID-19 stay-at-home order!

Evil

• 3 weeks later...

This pic was taken  last week on a beach not far from where I am staying. 

beach.jpg.a72bd011dcc52cd8141b8d2d1bf06fe4.jpg

People flocked to the state's beaches in droves when they were reopened a few weeks ago  The state government has now announced the number of new cases of COVID-19 has more than doubled on a daily basis.  Almost all of the new cases were young people or residents of beach towns.  A lot of those visiting the beaches in Delaware were from other states, so the "hot spot" spreading effect could be much higher. The governor has ordered beach bars and night spots to close again, but the beaches will remain open.

With that in mind:

flagT247.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

More food pics.  I have plenty of time to cook!\

Shrimp cerviche:

IMG_1050.jpg

Blackened roast pork:

IMG_1049.jpg

Stuffed peppers, Mexican style

IMG_1055.jpg

Sesame garlic chicken thighs: