Donations welcome UPDATED WITH NEW APPEAL VID

49 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

This question was asked on another forum and I haven't seen an answer yet. Seems like a perfectly legitimate question to me.

Not wishing to denigrate or in any way discourage the commendable efforts and contributions of those involved in free food distribution in Pattaya, I bring my Q here.

Who are all these people queuing.......are they long term Pattaya residents or migrant workers from Isaan who either got stranded here or chose to stay?

For the latter group, given there is no prospect of recovery for at least months and with domestic travel restrictions being eased/lifted, wouldn't it be better to assist repatriation than to keep feeding them here?
I read of food packs costing 100+/day versus bus tickets to Isaan costing 3-500 Baht.
I read that NWG is experiencing problems raising enough cash to maintain momentum, but why keep all those people here artificially if their jobs will not return in the near future?
I hear the optimism about some(?) bars opening soon, but without incoming tourists that isn't going to get many of these people back to work.

Yes I appreciate that such people may still need assistance, but the cost of staying at home is a lot less than staying here.

I and my TGF helped at this morning's Norwegian Seaman's Church food handout. I asked her what percentage she thought were Thai and she said about 90%. I saw quite a few adults with children which would lead me to believe there are a lot of families that call Pattaya home that are in need of food.

Today's handout was a package containing various items for cooking a meal. I was told the contents of each bag cost about 230B/bag and they provided food for 3,000 this morning. We left just about the time they were handing out the last of the packages, and by my rough estimate there were still upwards of 1,000 in line that were going to leave empty handed. A sad sight, so many in need and not enough for everyone.

According to the Church's FB page, at 5 am there were already thousands in line, and many had spent the night on the sidewalk to be sure they got a package.

A few pics from their FB page. Note, this was one of two lines leading to the church.
97837794_3416107381750318_1049529207861805056_o.jpg

Once through the temp check and hand sanitizer people were directed to one of two food distribution tables.
99013174_3416096841751372_6889271175080312832_o.jpg

97984356_3416096375084752_2309780218618839040_o.jpg

99094650_3416095778418145_4596416177034493952_o.jpg

98345527_3416104678417255_7747888712972763136_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I and my TGF helped at this morning's Norwegian Seaman's Church food handout. I asked her what percentage she thought were Thai and she said about 90%. I saw quite a few adults with children which would lead me to believe there are a lot of families that call Pattaya home that are in need of food.

Today's handout was a package containing various items for cooking a meal. I was told the contents of each bag cost about 230B/bag and they provided food for 3,000 this morning. We left just about the time they were handing out the last of the packages, and by my rough estimate there were still upwards of 1,000 in line that were going to leave empty handed. A sad sight, so many in need and not enough for everyone.

According to the Church's FB page, at 5 am there were already thousands in line, and many had spent the night on the sidewalk to be sure they got a package.

A few pics from their FB page. Note, this was one of two lines leading to the church.
97837794_3416107381750318_1049529207861805056_o.jpg

Once through the temp check and hand sanitizer people were directed to one of two food distribution tables.
99013174_3416096841751372_6889271175080312832_o.jpg

97984356_3416096375084752_2309780218618839040_o.jpg

99094650_3416095778418145_4596416177034493952_o.jpg

98345527_3416104678417255_7747888712972763136_o.jpg

What I see from that and many other sources is that it's the farangs that are the ones donating, where is the government or local council help ? We'll never know for sure how many of the thais are staying here because they actually live here and how many have stayed in the hope things pick up will we ?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

What I see from that and many other sources is that it's the farangs that are the ones donating, where is the government or local council help ? We'll never know for sure how many of the thais are staying here because they actually live here and how many have stayed in the hope things pick up will we ?

where is the government or local council help?

A very legitimate question, and one which has been asked by many people. We are faced with the unanswerable question of whether such help would be forthcoming if the charitable help were not there. I think we have to be prudent and assume it wouldn't be, and continue to support the charitable help.

We'll never know for sure how many of the thais are staying here because they actually live here and how many have stayed in the hope things pick up

Does it matter? If someone does have an alternative place to stay in Isaan, they still need food. Are you suggesting that these people should make themselves an additional burden on their families?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Does it matter? If someone does have an alternative place to stay in Isaan, they still need food. Are you suggesting that these people should make themselves an additional burden on their families?

I'm saying that surely it must be cheaper for them to live in their town or village rather than paying rent etc in Pattaya in the hope of getting a customer ? I'm guessing a lot stayed here because of pressure from those families to get money to send to them and that's not easy these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I'm saying that surely it must be cheaper for them to live in their town or village rather than paying rent etc in Pattaya in the hope of getting a customer

Bingo and village communities will look after each other in hard times, well wifey's village and Headman do their best, they will ALWAYS share food.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Bingo and village communities will look after each other in hard times, well wifey's village and Headman do their best, they will ALWAYS share food.

While that may be true, many folk living in villages rely on money being sent to them from family working in Bkk and Pattaya. Going back home may not be the simple option we might think it is as there will be more people with less money/food to share. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Esco said:

While that may be true, many folk living in villages rely on money being sent to them from family working in Bkk and Pattaya. Going back home may not be the simple option we might think it is as there will be more people with less money/food to share. 

Yes you make a valid point, but a lot of them in the factories are still working, wifey's brothers both are but yes if they are involved in the entertainment/restaurant industry they are out of work hence why many have gone home where they have a better chance of being fed with a roof over there head with no rent to pay. Village Thais are very industrious at surviving on next to nothing and have neighbours that think nothing of passing food over at meal times, i think its a cultural thing, even my neighbours constantly pass food over to wifey.

I have no doubt where they are better off, Bangkok and Pattaya are lonely places when you're in need of help, the villages can be very different. I obviously speak with only experience of wifey's village where very few work in any thing other than the Bangkok/Rayong factories.   

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

Tommy makes some comments in this video (2 minute mark onwards) which are both sad and maddening.

37f431369a9781866ab5146afd1d02da.jpg
I have been helping Tommy and the 103 team for a couple of weeks now.
I feel that Thai people are still shamed at seeing “farang” having to feed them and it is issues of face that have stopped the reports on mainstream media. That’s just Thailand I’m afraid.
I will continue to help as always and can confirm Tommy is working so hard to help the community. Tommy’s not young and is not well either, he is an inspiration.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, misteregg said:

37f431369a9781866ab5146afd1d02da.jpg
I have been helping Tommy and the 103 team for a couple of weeks now.
I feel that Thai people are still shamed at seeing “farang” having to feed them and it is issues of face that have stopped the reports on mainstream media. That’s just Thailand I’m afraid.
I will continue to help as always and can confirm Tommy is working so hard to help the community. Tommy’s not young and is not well either, he is an inspiration.

i am 29 ffs   5555

• Like 1

I see Tony Candy from Candy shop is advertising he's giving out 500 free meals and water from his restaurant Aroyjung on 2nd Rd opposite Thai Military Bank on Tuesday at 15.00pm.

Good to see Thai's helping as well, it's not like Tony is minted or anything, a small shop and restaurant.

Pity more of those Thai's that are minted wouldn't do more/anything to help!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:33 AM, Krapow said:

I see Tony Candy from Candy shop is advertising he's giving out 500 free meals and water from his restaurant Aroyjung on 2nd Rd opposite Thai Military Bank on Tuesday at 15.00pm.

Good to see Thai's helping as well, it's not like Tony is minted or anything, a small shop and restaurant.

Pity more of those Thai's that are minted wouldn't do more/anything to help!

Tony Candy's free meals from earlier, 600 they gave out with water 👏

FB_IMG_1591114295273.jpg

FB_IMG_1591114237705.jpg

FB_IMG_1591114249062.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 6:12 AM, Esco said:

Is the situation improving at all? 

Are the queues getting shorter? 

@tommy deemust be incredibly busy (and probably exhausted!), but it would be nice to have an update of the situation, either here or on the GoGetFunding page as soon as he feels able.

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

@tommy deemust be incredibly busy (and probably exhausted!), but it would be nice to have an update of the situation, either here or on the GoGetFunding page as soon as he feels able.

thanks, so the reply :)

yes I am shagged out, seriously.  the radio, tho losing money is still a full time job and the funding has got that way too.  we were down to near empty when a big anon donor kindly sent us money, which worked as we restocekd again friday.  also the new begging vid is now online, will put that below.  i think its probable me and the midgets best work ever, but thats just me.  it HAs seen some more donations this weekend which is fab, but people are finding it harder to donate, understandable, and many are stopping doing the food give aways.  Mr Egg courageously is helping our foodline giveaway monday, and any more hands always welcome.  sadly my health isn the the best   but I will be on this for a while i think.  

hope you like...

t

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, tommy dee said:

oh yeah forgot,  we have spent about 1,2 mill baht so far on food.. so it has been worth it 🙂

I've not seen any mention of food lines or handouts for several weeks, so how was this concluded, please?

How much did you collect?

Was it all spent?

13 hours ago, Bazle said:

I've not seen any mention of food lines or handouts for several weeks, so how was this concluded, please?

How much did you collect?

Was it all spent?

1.7 mill collected and duly spent.  we still have about 100 bottles of fish sauce left 🙂

the food lines dwindled as donations slowed, at one time we were spending 200K a week supplying others with food.  i think we did a pretty good job.  we also have  totally transparent accounts which helps with the way some are here.  it was mentally rewarding and certainly a challenge.    we though t the thias might start taking care of their owh when the non thais finished, but sadly that hasnt been the case

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

1.7 mill collected and duly spent.  we still have about 100 bottles of fish sauce left 🙂

the food lines dwindled as donations slowed, at one time we were spending 200K a week supplying others with food.  i think we did a pretty good job.  we also have  totally transparent accounts which helps with the way some are here.  it was mentally rewarding and certainly a challenge.    we though t the thias might start taking care of their owh when the non thais finished, but sadly that hasnt been the case

Great effort and execution. Well done 

it’s disappointing that when you stopped the Thai people ( those that could) didn’t step up and continue this and I’m hoping this is t the same countrywide 

• Thumbs Up 2