What stupid thing amaze you in Thailand!

eyes4thais

I very often find my self in Buriram, the home of Chang Beer! On my fist trip you could get 4 large chang for 200b.  The beer would be stored in the fridge over night so it was perfectly chilled.

This is where it all goes tits up! You order your 4 bottles, and they bring them out the ice cold fridge and put them on the nice warm table along with a metal bucket of ice. Within 15 mins the 3 remaining beers are warm and half the ice is melted.  The warm beer then melts the ice super quick in your glass, so then you are drinking watered down beer.   

I could not get them to understand, to bring me 1 cold and the other 3 warm and them swap the warm beers for cold when ready to drink. So they continued to bring 4 cold and I still swapped when ready to drink.  Then towards the end of the night they have no cold beers left in fridge.  I did a Andy Pandy,  "time to go home!" 

And why dont they use thermal ice buckets!

Edited by eyes4thais

4 hours ago, Smiler said:

Farangs talking in thaiglish to each other - ridiculous.

This.

They just sound like complete morons.

I try to avoid speaking Tinglish with Thai people as much as possible. 

Many of them understand more English than we think, it's slightly insulting to speak to them as if they are idiots.

• Like 3

Piles of shoes  stacked high outside the ward where Women give birth. In 2005 I sat outside waiting for my son to arrive. On about two occasions the nurses would appear with the newborn baby to give to the waiting fathers, trip over the pile of shoes and drop the babies. As Captain Kirk said to first officer Scot, "There's life down there Scotty, but not as we know it." I rest my case.

• Haha 4

blokes in Thailand wearing "look at me shirts" [tight T-shirts] and complaining how hot it is plus they are out in the sun without a hat.

caps on backwards on 50+ men bloody talk about mutton dressed up as lambs.

over 400 years poms have been in  S.E.Asia and still don't know how to dress for the hot weather.

bloody do me head in blokes in AC bars in singlets and sunnies at night,talk about would be, could bees

whats that about "mad dogs and englishmen out in the midday sun"

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, eyes4thais said:

Why Thai girls will pay 100b for a motorbike taxi, when the bht bus goes the same or near enough the same route?

Thai people hate walking. 

The condo I stayed at in BKK was a 5-10 walk to the MRT. It had a buggy service, the only people who used it were the Thais.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, grayray said:

blokes in Thailand wearing "look at me shirts"  and complaining how hot it is plus they are out the sun without a hat.

caps on backwards on 50+ men bloody talk about mutton dressed up as lambs.

over 400 years poms have been in  S.E.Asia and still don't know how to dress for the hot weather.

bloody do me head in

whats that about "mad dogs and englishmen out in the midday sun"

regards

grayray

not  taking any tips on sartorial elegance from Aussies ... 😉 

190C194A-5773-4CD4-87D7-3207EC163621.jpeg

• Haha 3

When I'm in Los I don't mind mixing with the odd falang so long as they are the sensible type.most guys would do the same I think but I can remember on my third trip to bkk and going to a rock bar in Min Buri BkK with the tg and half a dozen of her close friends. 

It wasn't long before I was beckoned over to a table by 2 western ex pats who by all accounts were English teachers in Bangkok. My god, what a couple of feck wits and should have known better judging by their ages of late 50s early 60s.

One was an ex bus driver from Doncaster the other was a retired grocer from somewhere down south. Both seemed to think it was hilarious that they got a salary doing next to nothing in a Thai classroom. 

So, from that moment on I was careful which western guys I spent anytime with should I encounter them. 

• Like 2

Thai's driving motorbikes on the Sukhumvit road (Bangsaray/Pattaya/Bangsaray) at night in dark clothing and no rear working light.

One definition of insanity.

Young Thai's who remove mirrors from their motorbikes because (presumably) they think it is cool.

Another definition of insanity.

The Thai Government, through the police, who allow "children" to ride motorbikes to and from school/college without wearing a crash helmet.

Yet another definition of insanity.

• Thumbs Up 3

Being asked to provide my address in the UK by Thai Immigration and Bangkok Bank, i've only lived here for 13 continuous years having resided here in Thailand on a retirement extension. When explained and evidenced to them they still insist WTF, i just put down my address as "Fawlty Towers Hotel, Torquay, Devon, England" lol

Now if anyone thinks my reply is stupid, just remember they started it 🤣

• Haha 3

The one thing that bugs me here and maybe someone can explain it is their refusal to ask for help from other thais.

Examples are below.

1. I was with an ex and we were looking for a hotel that a friend was staying at, we couldn't find it and she flatly refused to ask until I put my foot down and eventually she asked another thai person, the other one obviously didn't know either but wouldn't say that and sent us off in totally the wrong direction.

2. I was with a thai girl last week and she was on a shopping mission for her current customer, we're in Mr DIY and she's trying to explain to me what he wanted her to buy and I didn't have a clue what she was on about so I told her to ask a shop assistant. Absolute refusal from her to ask, she messaged me later to say her customer was angry because she'd bought the wrong things.

3. I sometimes go to a fishing park near me, I'm very inexperienced and twice now I've had problems, first time I'd hooked a fish and was struggling big time to get the hook out so I asked an English bloke at the next stall if he could help, he came and managed to unhook it for me and I said thanks and off he went, the girl I was with then asked quite seriously "why did you ask him to help you, not good". WTF ! Another time there I was having a lot of lines break so I asked a different girl I was with to come with me to ask the lads in charge what I was doing wrong, simple enough request I thought, wrong again, she absolutely refused point blank to come with me to ask them ?

What is it with them ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roomark said:

Strangers striking up a conversation with me in a bar and trying to tell me how to approach everything Thai and then proceed to tell me how many times they've been there bla bla bla 🙈

Yea Bro .... I hate this ....

I don't mind the casual hello .... how are you doing sort of thing .. ( that is the respectful thing to do ) .... but, once they start in Thai this or that ... or trying to give me a sermon .. 

I just say to them and I am serious as I breath ... " look man .. I am not interested in listening to your fu***king bullshit " .... that evokes either one or 3 responses ....

The first response is that they will shut the fu**k up ... and change the subject or sit there and be quiet until they have finished their beer and then move around to someone else

The second is they will say fu***k you or something smart ass ... ( 99% of theses guys are just talk ... no action ) and then they will get up and leave 

The third which is the remaining 1% will offer some sort of apology .... which is extremely rare ....

I never talk to another farang when I go into a bar ( unless I walked in the door with them or know them when I am inside the place  ) .... I go into a bar to drink ice cold Leos and listen to music  ... watch my surroundings ... I want to be left in my own little world with no bullshit distractions ... unless it is a scantly clad gal ....

There is nothing else to say to these type of people except "fu**" off

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

The one thing that bugs me here and maybe someone can explain it is their refusal to ask for help from other thais.

Examples are below.

1. I was with an ex and we were looking for a hotel that a friend was staying at, we couldn't find it and she flatly refused to ask until I put my foot down and eventually she asked another thai person, the other one obviously didn't know either but wouldn't say that and sent us off in totally the wrong direction.

2. I was with a thai girl last week and she was on a shopping mission for her current customer, we're in Mr DIY and she's trying to explain to me what he wanted her to buy and I didn't have a clue what she was on about so I told her to ask a shop assistant. Absolute refusal from her to ask, she messaged me later to say her customer was angry because she'd bought the wrong things.

3. I sometimes go to a fishing park near me, I'm very inexperienced and twice now I've had problems, first time I'd hooked a fish and was struggling big time to get the hook out so I asked an English bloke at the next stall if he could help, he came and managed to unhook it for me and I said thanks and off he went, the girl I was with then asked quite seriously "why did you ask him to help you, not good". WTF ! Another time there I was having a lot of lines break so I asked a different girl I was with to come with me to ask the lads in charge what I was doing wrong, simple enough request I thought, wrong again, she absolutely refused point blank to come with me to ask them ?

What is it with them ?

Bro ... there is really no explaining or getting a definitive answer to Thai logic at times ...

I think the best thing to do when you don't understand why a Thai does something and you don't understand why ... just ignore it ... saves you from any mental games

• Thumbs Up 2

Why the fuckers will not ( for 20 baht ) fix the tail lights on their motor bikes .. they are nearly impossible to see them at night time .. and I have come super close to hitting more than a few .. and that is all I need is to hit one of these fuc***kers ...

I can deal with almost every thing else a Thai does or doesn't do ... but, this one really pisses me off ...

• Like 1