The 6 USD Apple ...

code_slayer_bkk

''BuT It Is BeCaUSe It's ImPorteD."

Other than thai food, hotels, fuel, transportation and accommodation Thailand is not great vfm.

Quality foreign food (I mean quality not some 200b slop), imported alcohol, clothing, toiletries, gadgets, cars, electricity amongst other things are often more expensive than here in the UK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

''BuT It Is BeCaUSe It's ImPorteD."

Other than thai food, hotels, fuel, transportation and accommodation Thailand is not great vfm.

Quality foreign food (I mean quality not some 200b slop), imported alcohol, clothing, toiletries, gadgets, cars, electricity amongst other things are often more expensive than here in the UK.

Bro ...  diesel fuel has taken a dramatic hit here ... when I left BKK to drive back to the South diesel fuel was around 29.? ( like it has been forever here ) which was around 3 weeks ago ... I just filled up the Beast today and fuel was 17.5 ... 

Yea, I agree with you ... things aren't cheap here .... that is for sure ....  but,  I take your word that they are more expensive here than in the UK ....

I still cannot believe 6 bucks .... LOL ...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If they're selling it, then someone must be buying them. Which is another scary thought. Who in their right mind would spend that amount of money on one apple. Surprised they're not behind a locked glass case to prevent shoplifting.

Funny ~! ... lol .. lol ....

3 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Bro ...  diesel fuel has taken a dramatic hit here ... when I left BKK to drive back to the South diesel fuel was around 29.? ( like it has been forever here ) which was around 3 weeks ago ... I just filled up the Beast today and fuel was 17.5 ... 

Yea, I agree with you ... things aren't cheap here .... that is for sure ....  but,  I take your word that they are more expensive here than in the UK ....

I still cannot believe 6 bucks .... LOL ...

That's a great price for diesel. The oil price has just collapsed, sadly that will be of little consolation to most in the current predicament.

The problem Thailand has is that most Thais don't pay income tax, I believe the amount of Thai people who pay income tax is about 20% of those that should be paying.

Therefore the govt has to raise revenue from other taxes. Thailand has some of the highest duties and import taxes in the world.

As for the apple, somehow I don't think so.

Edited by dcfc2007

A bag of apples at macro up here in Issan... Fuji...delicious..... granny smith..... etc.... range from 75 baht up to 130-140 baht.

You get at least 6-8 apples per bag. 

But agree Code... that is one dear apple.

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I know .. just ridiculous ( for 1 apple -- yes -- I asked the lady working the produce section - because I could not initially believe  )

IMG_4941.JPG

More than happy to pay that price for a girl's cherry but an apple is taking the piss lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, roobob said:

A bag of apples at macro up here in Issan... Fuji...delicious..... granny smith..... etc.... range from 75 baht up to 130-140 baht.

You get at least 6-8 apples per bag. 

But agree Code... that is one dear apple.

Macro usually good value for money even for imported stuff although some things e.g. "gouda cheese" look like simple copies of actual imported produce. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes Code that is truly insane. Where I live, Calgary, produce is more expensive than say, Montreal or Toronto, who have more competition.. So you look for sales, and if you think it’s too much $, you live without it or pay, very simple. If a great price for bell peppers is $2.49/lb, but I’m making a sauce that night, I’ll pay $4, no big deal. But 179B for a single apple.......I don’t know what to say. Sounds like a kilo price to me. Who the f—k would pay that?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I know .. just ridiculous ( for 1 apple -- yes -- I asked the lady working the produce section - because I could not initially believe  )

IMG_4941.JPG

Take em outta the white plastic protective and ya just might get em for 49bht lol or just don't buy em, thats what i do with their ridiculous pricing on imported goods. Wifey buys from Makro a bag of 10 for 130bht, bloody nice too they are.

Locally produced fruit is generally so good in Thailand why buy imported produce?

In the UK all fruit in Supermarkets has to "look" perfect otherwise it does not sell. It did not matter that French Golden Delicous apples had absolutely no taste at all as long as they were unblemished, firm and shiny green. The same with oranges etc. It took me a long time to realise that these manky looking oranges tasted great and the wee bananas had a much better flavour than the large ones I was used to from Waitrose.

I bought a large bunch of bananas in our local market yesterday - 10 baht.  😀

5 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

Hmmm........for comparison, I bought some apples today from the local market @ 6 baht each, good quality too.  :smile:   

Last week bought a big bag of red apples from the back of a songthaew parked outside the market for 50 baht (about 3-4 baht each)  :default_blum:

Yea ... that is what I usually do as well when I am in BKK ...

I never buy fruit or veggies at Villa or the big grocery stores in BKK .... I always go to the Bang Kapi outside market ... all fruits and veggies are really fresh and cheap

And in the South we always buy at the Monday or Saturday markets ......

10 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Yes Code that is truly insane. Where I live, Calgary, produce is more expensive than say, Montreal or Toronto, who have more competition.. So you look for sales, and if you think it’s too much $, you live without it or pay, very simple. If a great price for bell peppers is $2.49/lb, but I’m making a sauce that night, I’ll pay $4, no big deal. But 179B for a single apple.......I don’t know what to say. Sounds like a kilo price to me. Who the f—k would pay that?

That is what I thought at first ... but, I went and asked the lady and she told me for 1 .... I am still shaking my head when I think about it ....

11 hours ago, Esco said:

Macro usually good value for money even for imported stuff although some things e.g. "gouda cheese" look like simple copies of actual imported produce. 

I am suspicious as well of the Gouda cheese they sell at Makro .... I bought some about 1 month ago and it didn't taste like the real mccoy ..... so, I won't be buying any more of it ...

18 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I am suspicious as well of the Gouda cheese they sell at Makro .... I bought some about 1 month ago and it didn't taste like the real mccoy ..... so, I won't be buying any more of it ...

Do they sell knob cheese by any chance?

On 4/21/2020 at 3:00 PM, code_slayer_bkk said:

IMG_4941.JPG

Curious as to know which supermarket that is code?