So why?

Bazle

42 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Very true there is a whole language of expressions and noises Thais use that are not always easy to fathom, we use sighs, tuts etc would be good to have a translation tool for their expressions 🙃

Thais who also speak Isaan use a lot of confirmation words/sounds.
These are often interspersed as both languages can overlap a bit.
20 million people speak Isaan.

In south Thailand the dialect is much different than in central or north Thailand.
There is a "sing song" cadence influenced by Malay & Chinese.

And then there are people who speak the ancient languages that predate modern Thai -- Khmer, Kuy/Suay, PhuThai, etc.
I remember listening to a friend on the phone who mixed four languages in one conversion (Thai, Isaan, Khmer, Suay).

This link has a lot of good info on the many languages and dialects:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language

• Like 1

To the OP....yes, I have noticed the use of the word, "so" when a person starts to answer a question. Probably noticed it over the past couple of years, usually with a younger (under 30) person when being interviewed about whatever. But now I notice it on cable news shows, primarily the opinion shows, and the featured guest, or a member of a panel, uses "so", to begin their answer to the hosts question.

Doesn't really bother me too much but yes, it has become part of the phrasing of the language and probably here to stay for the forseeable future.

But the thing that gets me and I DO find irritating, is the way the sports media in America all too often start off their questioning of an athlete in the post game interview with the all too idiotic, "Talk about.....". I'm not sure if the British or Aussie sports media also do this during their post game media gathering with an athlete, but it is a constant with the American media.

An athlete from whatever team is in the locker room, standing at the podium before the assembled sporting press and one of them asks the player, "Talk about your reaction when you scored the winning touchdown."

Now, as is the job of the sports media, they are to ask questions and report on the answers. The phrase, "Talk about" uttered by the reporter prior to whatever act on the field the player executed, is clearly not a question, but rather a slick way to make it much easier for the ink stained wretch who is writing the story, or the columnist who is writing an opinion piece, in time for the deadline for publication in the next days paper, to do their job. It is a technique used to get the athlete to talk enough so that he is basically writing the story for the media goofball so that he doesn't really need to put in much effort in doing his job.

It happens all to frequently with the television sports media as well.

Ask the damn question in the form of a question. It can't be that hard.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jambo said:

I cannot say I have ever given a single thought to individuals apparently starting a reply with the word "So." So, it is obviously not a source of irritation to me. 🙂

One thing that does come to mind is that I sometimes watch Chicago PD and characters in that program seem to greet one another with the word "Hay" and the recipient invariably  responds just with "Hay" as well. Is this a Chicago thing or in general useage in the US as I have never heard (English) Brits greet one another with "Hay" instead of "Hi."

I would say the use of "Hey" as a casual greeting is pretty universal throughout the U.S.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

So, especially in the current climate, it amazes me what some of you guys find irritating. :default_1087:

How you live your lives must be so exciting me thinks! :default_fun:

I have to agree as I am just trying to understand how the irritation shows itself in the long answers some have given. 

Personally, lock down hasn't got to me yet. 

• Like 1