Chiang Mai

Sea-Hawks

….will be heading to Patts for a couple of months later this winter.  I'll try and break-up part of the trip by taking a few days up in UT & KK like I did last year.

This year, I plan on adding/spending about 2-4 days in Chiang Mai. 

So, I would like to be in the central part of Chiang Mai. 

I was thinking about either staying at either:

a.  Raming Lodge

b.  Royal Lanna Hotel

c.  DusitD2 Hotel

Has anybody stayed at any of the hotels listed above ?  and are they GF?

Also, if anybody can add their 2 cents worth in terms of CM or the daytime/nighttime activities, would be appreciated .

thanks!

I've stayed at the Raming Lodge several times before , good value and girl friendly ( I had two back with no problem or extra charge ) 

good location for bars and restaurants just a short stroll away ... 

Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon both with visiting 

will post some pics tomorrow 

• Thumbs Up 1

In February 2020 I stayed at the Dusit Princess.  It is situated within about two minutes walk from the Night Market Area.  Rooms were comfortable and clean, though the place is probably due for a refurbishment.  Food good and a good buffet breakfast in a spacious dining  room. 

I was accompanied by Mrs JL so no idea re girl friendly or otherwise.  

Likewise stayed at Raming and was fine and right on the street with the bars and girls allowed back.

As said above Doi Suthep and Doi Ithanon worth a visit. I rented a car for Doi Ithanon trip, makes it much easier if you can be independent and drive around and do your own thing for the day.

Loads of temples a short stroll from Raming lodge to explore. The ‘normal’ night markets is quite good for a stroll and food in the evening, on a Sunday there is an even bigger outdoor night market that starts in the Thapae Gate area and weaves around the streets in that area that’s pretty good also.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

….will be heading to Patts for a couple of months later this winter.  I'll try and break-up part of the trip by taking a few days up in UT & KK like I did last year.

I admire your optimism!

• Haha 1

Back in the end of February on one day Chiang Mai registered as the most polluted place in the world.

It certainly has the worst air quality regularly in Thailand particularly during the months February to April when they burn off the old crops to clear the fields for replanting so I would definitely recommend giving a visit a miss during those months.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Love Chiang Mai. I'll be heading up there for a long stay as soon as they cut us loose. I may make that my new home. I'll see how it goes. During the smokie season go elsewhere. Maybe HH and enjoy the sea for a couple months. Then swing back up through BKK and here for a few days. 

When I was last in CM I noted how odd I thought it was at closing time., around 0100 hrs. It seemed like the streets suddenly became deserted. Then I later learned late night is when they start the fires so there is a greater concentration of smoke during those hours. Everyone got the f**k inside to get away from it. Over time the populace became conditioned to it so it became normal throughout.

I avoided the place for 20 years because I was always here during the smokie season. But this year I was able to get there prior to the smoke and before Corona blew up. I'm glad I did because I really like the place.

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Love Chiang Mai. I'll be heading up there for a long stay as soon as they cut us loose. I may make that my new home. I'll see how it goes. During the smokie season go elsewhere. Maybe HH and enjoy the sea for a couple months. Then swing back up through BKK and here for a few days. 

When I was last in CM I noted how odd I thought it was at closing time., around 0100 hrs. It seemed like the streets suddenly became deserted. Then I later learned late night is when they start the fires so there is a greater concentration of smoke during those hours. Everyone got the f**k inside to get away from it. Over time the populace became conditioned to it so it became normal throughout.

I avoided the place for 20 years because I was always here during the smokie season. But this year I was able to get there prior to the smoke and before Corona blew up. I'm glad I did because I really like the place.

I have been promising myself a trip to Chiang Mai for years. We actually had  a hotel booked once but for reasons I cannot recall we had to cancel.

Now that I stay regularly in Mae Sot I really have no excuse as it is just a 180 klm drive to Chiang Mai.

On my most recent drive back north from Bangsaray I actually suggested to Sai that as soon as Covid19 is sufficiently reduced to make a visit enjoyable ( restaurants/food/alcohol ) we get away for a long weekend up to Chiang Mai. Hopefully, that will mean later this year. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1