Businesses opening again in Thailand

Nightcrawler

Just terrible to watch that video and see how lifeless Pattaya is. I sincerely hope that at some point in June, the government will allow for businesses to reopen.

But that scene can be repeated all over the world in various vacation destinations and how devastating it has become for those who earned a living and made a life from the tourist economy.

Those in government never feel the pain of their own prescriptions. Everyone who draws a salary as a government official in the provinces or nationally, isn't feeling the economic suffering that those in the private sector feel because they are all still drawing a salary, but if they did, if their own pay was also suspended for as long as they vote to keep things shut, especially considering the Covid-19 numbers in Thailand, then you can bet your sweet cheeks, they would allow things to reopen post haste.

My feeling is that the beer bar establishments where the expats primarily were customers, will survive and even thrive. But the WS venues that depended almost wholly on the international tourist, will be hurting because as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it will be the host country where these people live that will give pause the most on whether they decide to travel or not, which in turn will lower the potential numbers of tourists who make WS a big part of their holiday.

About the number of total bars in the city and wondering how many can actually make it as opposed to closing permanently, just ask yourself a question. On a typical holiday, say 2 weeks, of the several thousand bars in town, to include Jomtien and Naklua, for those who like those locations, in those 2 weeks, exactly how many different bars do you think you will be a customer at? I bet for 75% of us, it's no more than 20.

Many of us usually have those 1 or 2 bars we consider our "local", and always stop in those places on a nightly or every other night basis and spend our money there because we are receiving quality service and product at a fair and reasonable price. But after that,  we'll split the rest of our drinking scratch among all the other bars. So if those that close and never reopen weren't part of your own piss up stopovers, it shouldn't be that big of a concern.

And if they were, then it's easy to find another. Might not have to walk any further than a few steps down the sidewalk or right across the street.

11 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

People say there are too many bars. Yet every year more and more bars open.

Mostly opening to simply replace the bar that has just shut for lack of customers and then subsequently wondering why it was no different.

It is so easy to ignore just how bad business has generally been for the last couple of years. There were many, many bars/gogo's just hanging on by their finger nails before anybody had heard of Covid19. There were any number of reports on this very forum about visits to empty bars and gogo's all of which were chasing the same diminished number of western tourists. So of course there have been far too many bars/gogo's.

The strength of the baht has been, and is likely to remain, a major factor adverse factor for potential visitors.

This year is a write off for tourism world wide and Pattaya is not going to be any different. Nobody is going to travel with quarantine restrictions applying at their destination or on their return to their home country. Who is going to fly halfway round the world if you cannot enjoy an unrestricted meal or drinks with friends or family in a bar or restaurant?

Maybe 2021 will see a return to something like we have all been used to or maybe the new "normal" will see the usual Pattaya suspects seek pastures new.

Do you recall the original "Blade Runner." Set in a polluted city full of chinks. That's maybe the new "normal." 🤣

23 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Mostly opening to simply replace the bar that has just shut for lack of customers and then subsequently wondering why it was no different.

It is so easy to ignore just how bad business has generally been for the last couple of years. There were many, many bars/gogo's just hanging on by their finger nails before anybody had heard of Covid19. There were any number of reports on this very forum about visits to empty bars and gogo's all of which were chasing the same diminished number of western tourists. So of course there have been far too many bars/gogo's.

The strength of the baht has been, and is likely to remain, a major factor adverse factor for potential visitors.

This year is a write off for tourism world wide and Pattaya is not going to be any different. Nobody is going to travel with quarantine restrictions applying at their destination or on their return to their home country. Who is going to fly halfway round the world if you cannot enjoy an unrestricted meal or drinks with friends or family in a bar or restaurant?

Maybe 2021 will see a return to something like we have all been used to or maybe the new "normal" will see the usual Pattaya suspects seek pastures new.

Do you recall the original "Blade Runner." Set in a polluted city full of chinks. That's maybe the new "normal." 🤣

Whole new bar areas have opened in recent years. The area around tree town must have 20-30 new bars, made in Thailand must have doubled in size in that time. 

But I do agree that things were grim prior to Covid19. I was speaking to Mr Lee of the lengkee family who owns most of Soi L.K, he described 2019 as the worst ever year for business. 

From what I heard, the high season wasn't anything to write home about either. The strong bars will survive this, but I fear for many bars, particularly those that cater to Brits. 

23 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

Thai Airways is filing for bankruptcy. Going well, isn't it?

They've been bailed out several times already. Unless they address a certain German ex-pat who uses it as his private taxi service, it will need bailed out again. 

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

They've been bailed out several times already. Unless they address a certain German ex-pat who uses it as his private taxi service, it will need bailed out again. 

I think I read last week that the Thai government was going to give them a 50B baht loan ... this articled emphasized that this would be the last loan the Thai government would give them ...

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Not if you can help it, right 😉

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, roomark said:

Phuket more to the point Patong was back up and running in February , by December and the 1st Anniversary it was near on back to normal.

It was Phi Phi that suffered longer , but from memory they didn't get government money as quick.

Different ballgame completely the rest of the world was doing ok and people could spend over there and elsewhere the worlds economy looks like it is going to be f***d after this and who knows when long haul will be an option for your average person.

My view of Phi Phi was that prior to the tsunami the island had lots of small beach bars and shops run by locals with a backpacker feel. After the tsunami the big boys built expensive hotels and the backpacker trade shrunk to a smaller area. The big boys just came in with their money and changed the place and not for the better.

It will be those with money that can snap up land and leases and create areas that are probably not going to be the major reason for a wife beater type guy zipping in to town.

Personally I would be happy to see more quality pubs similar to Hong Kong and other Asian capitals etc that are about a good night out where women sitting in the corner on their phones isn't the main reason I decided to visit.

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

My view of Phi Phi was that prior to the tsunami the island had lots of small beach bars and shops run by locals with a backpacker feel. After the tsunami the big boys built expensive hotels and the backpacker trade shrunk to a smaller area. The big boys just came in with their money and changed the place and not for the better.

I agree 100% the same in a massive way can be said about Phuket , Patong especially is now a busy city (well prior to Covid)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/17/2020 at 1:42 AM, dcfc2007 said:

as you se in this clip, we are letting NW donors pay thru our pmnt system, leaving a note that its for NW.  we pay for the system but it is completely transparent and avoids the usual gossip and inuendos.  they actually have done a good job of prepping food.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

as you se in this clip, we are letting NW donors pay thru our pmnt system, leaving a note that its for NW.  we pay for the system but it is completely transparent and avoids the usual gossip and inuendos.  they actually have done a good job of prepping food.

They sure have and it's all been done in a much more amicable manner than the Pattaya 24/7, Scooters and Baan Kruja fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

😂

I think Ryanair is the only airline I'll be seeing this year.

Quite possible not if they are forced to keep whole rows empty. The budget airlines may well not survive the ramifications of the pandemic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Quite possible not if they are forced to keep whole rows empty. The budget airlines may well not survive the ramifications of the pandemic.

Ryanair are financially very sound. They will survive this alright, O'Leary doesn't give a f**k, first chance he gets those planes will be in the air.

6 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Ryanair are financially very sound. They will survive this alright, O'Leary doesn't give a f**k, first chance he gets those planes will be in the air.

And because of that, and even though most Brits wont be able to fly this year due to closed borders and 14 day quarantines at one or the other end of the flight, anyone that has currently booked to fly Ryanair and cant because of those reasons, have just lost every single penny of their money!! The reason for O'Leary to fly is to keep that ticket money!!!

On 5/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, Aqualung said:

Thailand for some reason seems to have gotten off lightly regarding the covid situation. If I thought for one moment the figures re deaths and infections were true I would be there as soon as affordable flights were available. 

Unfortunately.. I have my doubts and will sit this situation out and see what pans out. 

As far as the actual hospitalised C19 cases, indeed Thailand has fared well. But the economic fallout will be massive with huge societal knock on effects. 

Strap In 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

How would a masked BJ work? 😁

Pretty simple if you ask me ..... remove the mask or pull it up on her forehead .... or pull out your knife and cut a whole in the f***king thing

A mask won't stop me ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

50 minutes ago, farangme said:

Long time with masked girl 250 Baht. Long time with unmasked girl 500 Baht. Surely the days of the 2K two week Millionaires are over.

2K two week millionaires never existed .... WTF?

Have you ever been with a long, lean gal with a great ass and perfect lips and gotten away with 2K for 2 weeks ?

I haven't .....

I doubt that 2K would pay for their food and hotel for 2 weeks ....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

1 hour ago, STARGAZER said:

As far as the actual hospitalised C19 cases, indeed Thailand has fared well. But the economic fallout will be massive with huge societal knock on effects. 

Strap In 

Yea ... I kinda agree ... maybe in the tourists places like Patts, Phuket and parts of BKK .... maybe up country ....

But, one would expect this from tourists spots -- every Thai that wants ( what they perceive to be  ) easy baht ..

Tourists spots are always the first places to get "hit" HARD when bullshit happens in the world ....

As far as the Thai stats -- I don't believe - when has any government ever been honest with their citizens?     ... I don't know of any in my life time .......

The Thai's are pretty resilient society ... there will be some hardships on some, for sure .... but, not this massive doom and glom projected ...

Just a little note off topic .....

I walked into the mall yesterday and they wanted me to scan a LINE barcode into my phone .... I said NO .... to track and trace my movements ... f**k no ...

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

2K two week millionaires never existed .... WTF?

Have you ever been with a long, lean gal with a great ass and perfect lips and gotten away with 2K for 2 weeks ?

I haven't .....

I doubt that 2K would pay for their food and hotel for 2 weeks ....

You didn't understand my post. A two week Millionaire meaning the money splashers that stay a fortnight and pay 2K a pop.

If it's a long lean gal in Thailand, it ain't a gal. 

An ex bar owner told me about the night He walked into His bathroom and there was a nude, skinny, bald Thai bloke standing there, shaving in the mirror. WTF He thought, staring at the person, only to realise it was His most popular Ladyboy that worked for Him. Absolute fact that story I nearly choked in my beer as He told Me that.  

Edited by farangme
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, farangme said:

Long time with masked girl 250 Baht. Long time with unmasked girl 500 Baht. Surely the days of the 2K two week Millionaires are over.

Nah they'll be back in double time, throwing 4k baht at a bird because she's 'hot' and she's a model she just met in ibar. Silly sod, 6hrs ago she had her thong down down round her ankles getting blasted on soi 6 for 1500b.

• Like 2