Businesses opening again in Thailand

Nightcrawler

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Because this is a forum whereby the members and their views have a saying on whether I enjoy it or not.  I left Pattaya Live for all the negativity and when this forum started it was a breath of fresh air to join and feel that there was a positivity about it's mission and style.

Unfortunately that positive start has moved over and a lot of negative posters are posting on a regular basis now such that I am just not enjoying it anymore. Many others seem to have gone by the wayside and I might be next. This is not the Thailand 247 that I joined.

Why some posters who have nothing but bad things to say about Thailand and it's people want to be here, I don't know.

Me, well it might just be a forum that I look in on occasions, not much here of entertainment value anymore.

Sorry.

Frenchy doesn't have much good to say about Thailand, but he does have the right to say it. Personally, I've no time for constant Thailand bashing, neither do I have any time for those people that think thailand and it's people are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Frenchy doesn't have much good to say about Thailand, but he does have the right to say it. Personally, I've no time for constant Thailand bashing, neither do I have any time for those people that think thailand and it's people are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And again I will repeat, he has the right to say it but the negativity involved on a constant basis together with all the bickering that goes on from members I have no social interaction with determines whether I enjoy the forum or not.

Presently I am 'marking as read' threads quite regularly as there is so much dross on here partly due of course to the unprecedented situation with Covid and that tends to mean that the topic matter is limited. A lot of guys I count as good posters are long gone or have limited their involvement which for me has meant others have begun to monopolize the forum in their own image and that, for me,  is far removed from what was apparent when this forum materialized.

Of course every one has a right to post, to have an opinion but I am the only one who determines whether this forum is a home for me or not and right now I am having difficulty in being involved or motivated to post. I will try to support it as this was Phil's goal but lurking seems a better deal right now until the subject matter offers anything worthy of a comment..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

And again I will repeat, he has the right to say it but the negativity involved on a constant basis together with all the bickering that goes on from members I have no social interaction with determines whether I enjoy the forum or not.

Presently I am 'marking as read' threads quite regularly as there is so much dross on here partly due of course to the unprecedented situation with Covid and that tends to mean that the topic matter is limited. A lot of guys I count as good posters are long gone or have limited their involvement which for me has meant others have begun to monopolize the forum in their own image and that, for me,  is far removed from what was apparent when this forum materialized.

Of course every one has a right to post, to have an opinion but I am the only one who determines whether this forum is a home for me or not and right now I am having difficulty in being involved or motivated to post. I will try to support it as this was Phil's goal but lurking seems a better deal right now until the subject matter offers anything worthy of a comment..

Yeah that's fair enough mate.

19 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Understand where you are coming from. 

Have noticed multiple people that I've met since joining this board post less and less, or have given up. Each one of them of course will have their own reasons. If this board closed tomorrow, I'd be sad but would feel better for having joined and met several really decent guys in person.Many of these I will see again whether this board continues or not.

Would guess since joining have probably met around 15 people in person who have posted on here at some point in time

Precisely zero of them generate any of the negativity you mention. But that of course won't be unique to here, though post current "events" it will be a shame if things continue😁

What was this thread about again?😁

Hope Thailand gets back into gear a.s.a.p,  will get to meet the good guys again. Happiness will return, and the begrudgers, will still be begrudgers- that will never change.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I have not been to Thailand in just over 5 years as, personally, I just don't like the way it has changed. Girls don't 'take care' like they used to, price's have gone up, exchange rate is dire etc. 

Still love the country, have probably spent about 18 months to 2 years there, but currently I need a break from there. Will go back one day in the future as I have so many happy memories of the place. 

But I won't slag the place off just because I am not going there. 

TBH I think there is a difference between slagging a place of, and just giving a opinion that may not fit with other peoples narratives. No nation and its people are perfect, neither are Thailand's, no matter how much some of the white knights will try to tell you otherwise. Some blokes with Thai wives seem to take any negative comment about Thai people as a pop at their other half. Then on the other hand you have people who don't have a single good word to say about the country, so why post on a Thai centric forum. I think in the current climate and with the exchange rates what they are, other than hotels, transportation and a shag, Thailand does not represent good value for money in many things for me. 

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

A lot of guys I count as good posters are long gone or have limited their involvement which for me has meant others have begun to monopolize the forum in their own image and that, for me,  is far removed from what was apparent when this forum materialized.

Spot on, and I raised this point in private recently with a fellow BM.

Concerning what you think about me, it's your right. Which doesn't mean you ARE right.

And I agree with @dcfc2007 post concerning people looking at Thailand through rose tinted glasses and enamored with everything Thai. A bit like even the slighest critic of any Sh.... princesses was considered lese majesty......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have turned my attention to domestic animals in the absence of going to Thailand😉

Come on, you can do better than that ! 

Not speaking that this phrase could be interpreted in certain way....

On 5/21/2020 at 4:28 AM, galenkia said:

I have not been to Thailand in just over 5 years as, personally, I just don't like the way it has changed. Girls don't 'take care' like they used to, price's have gone up, exchange rate is dire etc. 

Still love the country, have probably spent about 18 months to 2 years there, but currently I need a break from there. Will go back one day in the future as I have so many happy memories of the place. 

But I won't slag the place off just because I am not going there. 

every word the truth

• Like 3

So the thread was "business opening again in Thailand" ...

As I mentionned on other occasions, my daugther works in a 4* hotel in BKK. Executive floor receptionnist.

The hotel has been iddled nearly 2 months now (April / May), with some staff laid off and some working 1 day in 3. Salary divided in consequence. Mainly email and "phone watching" for her.

Hotel has decided early May to close down completely and lay off everybody from 29/5.

But they are doing things the proper way and staff is being paid their 3 month severance pay. She is not unhappy, receiving a 72 k cheque ! She and her colleagues are lucky, because many businesses are simply sacking their people without any compensation.

Meanwhile, being a good cook and pastry, she has started a small, from home, on line business selling veggan doughnuts .... (yeah, yeah, vegan doughnuts...I know, but hey, if there are buyers ...)

This makes her 7 to 10k net profit / month. Not bad.  She'll also apply for the government "jobless allowance", 7500 Thb.

As she says " I don't really stress". (see the T.S. education ?) 

And she has plenty ideas for the futur, to which I added a few more.

Conclusion :

- I don't see many major tourist businesses reopening in the near future !

- The formal job sector may receive some benefits and be able to pass this period, but for those in the informal sector it is very hard.

Same is going on in Bali. Many hope for a relaxing of the restrictions early June (after the end of Ramadan fasting), but the consensus is that tourism will not start to pick up before October.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, Horizondave said:

Because this is a forum whereby the members and their views have a saying on whether I enjoy it or not.  I left Pattaya Live for all the negativity and when this forum started it was a breath of fresh air to join and feel that there was a positivity about it's mission and style.

Unfortunately that positive start has moved over and a lot of negative posters are posting on a regular basis now such that I am just not enjoying it anymore. Many others seem to have gone by the wayside and I might be next. This is not the Thailand 247 that I joined.

Why some posters who have nothing but bad things to say about Thailand and it's people want to be here, I don't know.

Me, well it might just be a forum that I look in on occasions, not much here of entertainment value anymore.

Sorry.

Snap

22 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

So the thread was "business opening again in Thailand" ...

As I mentionned on other occasions, my daugther works in a 4* hotel in BKK. Executive floor receptionnist.

The hotel has been iddled nearly 2 months now (April / May), with some staff laid off and some working 1 day in 3. Salary divided in consequence. Mainly email and "phone watching" for her.

Hotel has decided early May to close down completely and lay off everybody from 29/5.

But they are doing things the proper way and staff is being paid their 3 month severance pay. She is not unhappy, receiving a 72 k cheque ! She and her colleagues are lucky, because many businesses are simply sacking their people without any compensation.

Meanwhile, being a good cook and pastry, she has started a small, from home, on line business selling veggan doughnuts .... (yeah, yeah, vegan doughnuts...I know, but hey, if there are buyers ...)

This makes her 7 to 10k net profit / month. Not bad.  She'll also apply for the government "jobless allowance", 7500 Thb.

As she says " I don't really stress". (see the T.S. education ?) 

And she has plenty ideas for the futur, to which I added a few more.

Conclusion :

- I don't see many major tourist businesses reopening in the near future !

- The formal job sector may receive some benefits and be able to pass this period, but for those in the informal sector it is very hard.

its a lot ore.  also, 

Same is going on in Bali. Many hope for a relaxing of the restrictions early June (after the end of Ramadan fasting), but the consensus is that tourism will not start to pick up before October.

glad to see she is doing well.  couple of points, i assume then she only worked there for a year, as 3 months severance only covers one year emplyees, after that its a lot more.  which is why most hotels are resting staff not making them redundant.  also if she is working and making money she really isnt entitled to the social pmnt for tose without work but obviously  there are cracks in the sytem.  the max she will get from that is about 7500 baht so combined she is on 17500, so she has nothing to complain about, plus her cash pmnt.  others in hotels got zip as they were laid off temporarily as thehotels  had to close.  and live on the 7500 if they get it.  those on casual labour get 5 if they are very very lucky

1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

glad to see she is doing well.  couple of points, i assume then she only worked there for a year, as 3 months severance only covers one year emplyees, after that its a lot more.  which is why most hotels are resting staff not making them redundant.  also if she is working and making money she really isnt entitled to the social pmnt for tose without work but obviously  there are cracks in the sytem.  the max she will get from that is about 7500 baht so combined she is on 17500, so she has nothing to complain about, plus her cash pmnt.  others in hotels got zip as they were laid off temporarily as thehotels  had to close.  and live on the 7500 if they get it.  those on casual labour get 5 if they are very very lucky

Yep, about a year.

Grants and allowances from any government are always good to take, one would be stupid not to try.

And yep, she doesn't complain nor does she worries.

What surprised me a bit is that the hotel decided to close now, which means they really dont see a recovery before several months (6 ?). Or at least not a viable recovery.  Of  course they know that when re opening in the future they wont have any problem to find qualified staff, considering the huge numbers that have been laid off country wide.

She had plans to try for cruise ship work, but of course that's gone as well for the near future.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Nothing wrong with that Honest work. I would do anything that I could as well to keep income coming in McDonalds Burger King yup sign me up its honest work

• Thumbs Up 2