Businesses opening again in Thailand

Nightcrawler

43 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea, this "social distancing" is all bullshit .... I think I am right in what I am saying .. look at the food markets here, 7/11, etc. ...... it will all disappear very quick   

It's ridiculous. Personally I don't give a shit about it. 

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

It's ridiculous. Personally I don't give a shit about it. 

Haven't you mentioned that before   .................  maybe a hundred times?

Edited by Bazle
  • Haha 2

If businesses like bars and entertainment venues open soon then who will they be opening for?  The Thai places will be OK that cater mainly for Thais, but in terms of areas like Buakhow, Soi LK, Diana and WS etc which cater mainly for tourists, I guess that expats will be their main clientele and those who have stayed during lockdown. I wonder how many bars will actually open when they get the go ahead? 

11 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

If businesses like bars and entertainment venues open soon then who will they be opening for?  The Thai places will be OK that cater mainly for Thais, but in terms of areas like Buakhow, Soi LK, Diana and WS etc which cater mainly for tourists, I guess that expats will be their main clientele and those who have stayed during lockdown. I wonder how many bars will actually open when they get the go ahead? 

You bring up a good point but this is not half the problem bars a GoGo bars will face.....

I dont have the details on what I am about to say......But the powers that be have already made it clear there will be a SHIT TON of new very irritating very annoying new restrictions and rules that the bars will have to follow to reopen.......And I am not just talking about the worthless temperature check and all that social distancing jazz....

I am talking about contract tracing, IDs maybe passports, registrations before entering, face masks, facial IDs photos Bla Bla Bla Bla.......They are working hard right now cooking up all kinds of this kind of stuff to impose on and strangle the entertainment industry to death..... How all this will play out we will just have to wait and see.....But it is not going to be pretty.......... 

3 hours ago, fforest said:

You bring up a good point but this is not half the problem bars a GoGo bars will face.....

I dont have the details on what I am about to say......But the powers that be have already made it clear there will be a SHIT TON of new very irritating very annoying new restrictions and rules that the bars will have to follow to reopen.......And I am not just talking about the worthless temperature check and all that social distancing jazz....

I am talking about contract tracing, IDs maybe passports, registrations before entering, face masks, facial IDs photos Bla Bla Bla Bla.......They are working hard right now cooking up all kinds of this kind of stuff to impose on and strangle the entertainment industry to death..... How all this will play out we will just have to wait and see.....But it is not going to be pretty.......... 

Speculation but interesting. If you had to bring your passport to get into a bar in Patts, I'd head to Phnom Penh

Open question to those in Patts like yourself, do GoGos currently have a visual record of everyone entering their premises. Is there anything to stop them at present sharing this with the authorities and using facial recognition software? Aside from the regular problem of the cameras not working at convenient times.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2

If that were to happen, I am not sure of the point. Plus I doubt that security staff at gogo bars would care too much to enforce anything. Would the authorities risk imposing draconian measures on the entertainment. Business which in turn brings in tourism worth a lot of money. Or do they see it as an opportunity to get rid of the nightlife as it was to clean up places like Pattaya and turn it into a family holiday destination? 😏

Somehow I can't see that happening either. And girls all becoming farmers again😊

We never know what's around the corner. 

Lots of ifs buts and maybes 

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Business which in turn brings in tourism worth a lot of money. Or do they see it as an opportunity to get rid of the nightlife as it was to clean up places like Pattaya

The p4p business is only a very small part of the tourist business. The "clean up" option, I mentionned it before and asked the opinion of old residents and business owners, but of course nobody answered....

I can see it happening.  Perfect opportunity. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:50 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Even the Thai places will struggle as many Thais are back in the provinces.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Nightcrawler said:

It will be dependent on tourists and if they are not present, is it worth opening some of those businesses with few to no customers with overheads and staff salaries to pay etc? 

This is the problem with the "open it uppers." They assume that everyone will come flocking back to the land of milk and honey. That's far from a given.  People's decision and the virus will set the timeline. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I think the return of tourists will be more dependent on the conditions in their home country than Thailand.

23 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

This is the problem with the "open it uppers." They assume that everyone will come flocking back to the land of milk and honey. That's far from a given.  People's decision and the virus will set the timeline. 

Agree, the land of milk and honey I refer to is the life we lived 

about 3 months ago. The virus and science will set the timeline for the future. 

My hopes and wishes have little to say about it. I never wished to be wrong. This time I hope I am. Can someone give me a hug? 😀

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:38 PM, dcfc2007 said:

I think the return of tourists will be more dependent on the conditions in their home country than Thailand.

Agreed.

Looks pretty grim, watching the latest video from Pattaya yesterday. 100s queuing for food, 2nd road devastated, for sale signs everywhere. 

Edited by farangme
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, farangme said:

Agreed.

Loks pretty grim, watching the latest video from Pattaya yesterday. 100s queuing for food, 2nd road devastated, for sale signs everywhere. 

I'm slightly more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago. More countries are loosening restrictions and the numbers are going down.

The strong businesses in Pattaya will survive, if I owned a bar in Pattaya I would be more worried about the baht which has started to strengthen again.

I was thinking about how much Phuket took a battering in 2004 when the Tsunami hit. A different scenario I know, but a lot of businesses were it ensured and many went down. Lots of rebuilding but they recovered 

No doubt Pattaya will shrink a great deal and recovery will be a long process. I have often heard people say that there were too many bars in Pattaya. That maybe as well, but I do feel sorry for those who have lost their livelihoods for no fault of their own and those who have lost their jobs and income as a result. 

6 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I was thinking about how much Phuket took a battering in 2004 when the Tsunami hit. A different scenario I know, but a lot of businesses were it ensured and many went down. Lots of rebuilding but they recovered 

No doubt Pattaya will shrink a great deal and recovery will be a long process. I have often heard people say that there were too many bars in Pattaya. That maybe as well, but I do feel sorry for those who have lost their livelihoods for no fault of their own and those who have lost their jobs and income as a result. 

People say there are too many bars. Yet every year more and more bars open.

43 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Phuket more to the point Patong was back up and running in February , by December and the 1st Anniversary it was near on back to normal.

It was Phi Phi that suffered longer , but from memory they didn't get government money as quick.

Different ballgame completely the rest of the world was doing ok and people could spend over there and elsewhere the worlds economy looks like it is going to be f***d after this and who knows when long haul will be an option for your average person.

Edited by roomark
  • Like 2