"3" Network in UK and its alternative to landline broadband

RR007

Now where I live the internet was very slow. It was partly down to the Exchanges not being upgraded (yet) where I live but also because of very old wiring into the house itself

As it always ran at 3 or 4 Mbps down it was always quick enough to run Youtube or stream movies.....just.

Now probably like most I never used the landline and it was purely for broadband connection via Sky tv (just phone and broadband itself) even my aged mother had taken to callIing me via mobile so thought bin it if I can find an alternative

Enter the 3 network which from the blurb seemed a bit too good to be true. Basically order online a router Sim goes inside and that is that lol.  Password connects up to 64 units to it unlimited data and all for £22 a month.

I've had it 6 months now. Obviously caveat is you need to check the 3 network signal in your area via website before ordering but there is a 14 day colling off period anyway

This is what I now get on an average day as regards speed. Now am sure others at home get even higher speeds from Virgin Media etc etc but compare this to what I was getting before

Now the very best bit is its obviously portable.....take the router wherever you want all you need obviously is a power outlet wherever you are in the UK

3 network.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

A 3G or 4G mobile network is a good alternative if living in an area with poor, land based, internet service.

If you have a smartphone, you should be able to accomplish the same using the phone as a hotspot. You would of course have to have a data plan on your phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

A 3G or 4G mobile network is a good alternative if living in an area with poor, land based, internet service.

If you have a smartphone, you should be able to accomplish the same using the phone as a hotspot. You would of course have to have a data plan on your phone.

A good dedicated 4G data modem should have multiple antenna inputs and support carrier aggregation.

I went from 30Mbps with just the modem to over 90Mbps with dual X-pol antennas. The antennas were directional but I only had one tower to choose from so it didn't matter. Omnidirectional antennas aren't quite as good.

1 hour ago, RR007 said:

Now where I live the internet was very slow. It was partly down to the Exchanges not being upgraded (yet) where I live but also because of very old wiring into the house itself

As it always ran at 3 or 4 Mbps down it was always quick enough to run Youtube or stream movies.....just.

Now probably like most I never used the landline and it was purely for broadband connection via Sky tv (just phone and broadband itself) even my aged mother had taken to callIing me via mobile so thought bin it if I can find an alternative

Enter the 3 network which from the blurb seemed a bit too good to be true. Basically order online a router Sim goes inside and that is that lol.  Password connects up to 64 units to it unlimited data and all for £22 a month.

I've had it 6 months now. Obviously caveat is you need to check the 3 network signal in your area via website before ordering but there is a 14 day colling off period anyway

This is what I now get on an average day as regards speed. Now am sure others at home get even higher speeds from Virgin Media etc etc but compare this to what I was getting before

Now the very best bit is its obviously portable.....take the router wherever you want all you need obviously is a power outlet wherever you are in the UK

3 network.jpg

Giffgaff have a similar offering on unlimited downloads, but I think only the first 40 GB is at full speed, then during peak hours it's throttled back a bit. I used their 40GB for £20 offer last year when I was back and was well pleased with it, Vodafone wanted £25 for just 15 GB.

https://www.giffgaff.com/

Oh, I see they've upgraded the 40GB to 80GB now, can;t complain at that either.

5 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Giffgaff have a similar offering on unlimited downloads, but I think only the first 40 GB is at full speed, then during peak hours it's throttled back a bit. I used their 40GB for £20 offer last year when I was back and was well pleased with it, Vodafone wanted £25 for just 15 GB.

https://www.giffgaff.com/

Oh, I see they've upgraded the 40GB to 80GB now, can;t complain at that either.

I'm actually on Giffgaff but I actually dismissed them as a hotspot as they used to wet their knickers if people were tethering