quarantine on arrival will kill short holidays

thunder367

To be honest it wouldn't be a bad time to throw a bit of money into our own economy and holiday or short break in the U.K this year if there is any chance to do that.

No way I'll be going to the LOS or anywhere with a 2 week quarantine.

• Like 7

Well, I guess it's down to. Personal circumstances. 

At the moment as I think, Thailand still has a 2 week quarantine period for those entering the Kingdom although difficult to enforce once you there. 

The UK and some other countries have 2 week quarantine for those returning to the UK. A trip to Thailand and back would merit 4 weeks total in quarantine 

I am more of less in isolation now so coming back would not be a major problem, although again, very difficult to enforce. 

But most planes are not flying, boats not sailing so we do not yet have the means to travel yet anyway. But that could all change in the near future. 

I think for many, that holidays at home is a best option, especially for those with kids. But even that is reliant on hotels and guest houses reopening and more shops being open to cater for greater numbers in tourist areas, plus of course, caravan and camp sites reopening. 

Sure is a bummer but its not just down to one country. There will have to be an international approach when countries think it is safe. We are not out of the woods yet. 

The only way around the 2 week re entry quarantine would be to have on the spot virus tests on entry but that's far off. 

They're already talking about regional travel bubbles. That is allowing international travel between countries with very low infection rates. I expect most countries will adopt this idea. So if your home country has the virus under control you'll be able to travel to other countries with the same status and not have to endure a quarantine period on arrival, or on returning to your home country.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There are many great places in the UK which would be worth visiting once again.

As a kid there was just my mother and me and not a lot of spare money however every year my Mother would take us away for two weeks in a Caravan holiday usually somewhere on the south coast of England but I particularly remember Mevagissy in Cornwall.

Caravan holidays in England - Fishing off the pier; penny slot machines;building sand castles and waiting for the rain to stop. 😀

Having said that, everybody we knew did similar. Nobody went on holidays abroard in those days.

I recall just one day trip to Calais and my grandad knocking back pints of draft guiness and a huge bowl of mussels. That was the sum total of my overseas travel until I was 22 years old.

I was 19 years old when I took my 17 year old girlfriend to a Pontins Holiday Camp at some place called Bracklesham Bay (?) but to keep her parents happy we had to book two separate chalets. Now we never intended to use both but we couldn't anyway because in the bar on our first night all my mates from the Birkbeck Pub suddenly appeared "To use your spare chalet Dan" 😀  How we never got thrown out of the camp I will never know.

It was so good a few years later for my wife and I to take my Mother off to Spain for her first ever flight and holiday abroad.

Used to love my holidays as a kid. would go to places like Camber Sands, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Westwood Ho, Poole etc.. 

The UK is brilliant for holidays when the weather is nice. 

Fancy heading down to Poole later in the summer if restrictions are eased regarding staying overnight and restaurants being open. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, farangme said:

The only fallacy in this is the locals in these UK holiday spots won't welcome tourists they have been scared to death by the MSM. Rent a caravan in a field for a fortnight...feck that.

Not so bad if you have a car. Lots people do that anyway and own their own caravans. If the weather is good and you can even cook inside. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know 

We must not forget that it was mainly through air travel that the virus spread around the world. The biggest spreader of all.

Until the number of cases come down in certain countries then I can't see much movement happening.  Otherwise it's just a multiplying effect.

I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to take the year off. Stay around home and take care of those thousand little jobs that I'm constantly putting off till another day. I will throw in a few little jaunts here an there. But mostly pull everything back in and take care of meself. It's no big deal. Besides it seems that a year just kind of flys by these days 

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to take the year off. Stay around home and take care of those thousand little jobs that I'm constantly putting off till another day. I will throw in a few little jaunts here an there. But mostly pull everything back in and take care of meself. It's no big deal. Besides it seems that a year just kind of flys by these days 

Plus the money you save too. A bigger budget for next trip/s

I am hoping to rent a nice villa just slightly outside of Pattaya main. With a pool and a kitchen. Lounge about all day sipping ice cold gin & tonics then a taxi down to the nightlife (that is assuming there still is one )😄

And hopefully the Corona days will be over. Might even appreciate the place even more.  A bit jaded on my last couple of visits. 

I shall of course be visiting all of my exclusive Gentlemen's Clubs of which I hold VIP memberships 😄😄😄😄

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am 50 next year and have planned two months in Thailand ,February and March.

I will keep the tickets at this time,but am not confident that we will be travelling freely even by then.

I know it’s a long ways away,but you never know what can happen.

Im planning a month first by myself,then wifey and the lad will fly down to join me.
we were suppose to go to Mexico in March,but that got cancelled so we have to shoe horn that trip in as well somewhere,as the refund was in the form of a voucher to use later.

I have a light booked for Australia in November of this year,for my nephews wedding,but am not confident that will be a go either.

Opening my gym tomorrow.Had the Island Health guy through yesterday to do a compliance review,and he was impressed at the work we have done to make sure everything is good to go.

Down a third members though.Which is basically all of the profit,so we are operating just to stay open at this time.

Up to the members to police each other,so that should be interesting.

Strange days have come,and you’re gone.👍

• Like 3

This quarantine rule has probably been introduced purely as a bargaining ploy to encourage other countries to enter into reciprocal no-quarantine agreements.

Thailand probably isn't an obvious candidate for this though.

9 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

This quarantine rule has probably been introduced purely as a bargaining ploy to encourage other countries to enter into reciprocal no-quarantine agreements.

Thailand probably isn't an obvious candidate for this though.

Not being sarcastic but  a reciprocal agreement with Cambodia & Vietnam would make sense- touching on Forcehewithu said about travel bubbles. Think this is how the agreements will start with bordering/regional countries with similar low rates of infection, and travel between them with no quarantine.

6 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Not being sarcastic but  a reciprocal agreement with Cambodia & Vietnam would make sense- touching on Forcehewithu said about travel bubbles. Think this is how the agreements will start with bordering/regional countries with similar low rates of infection, and travel between them with no quarantine.

Problem is we still have one of the higher infection rates in the world ........... Greeks for example not likely to allow us in BBC are reporting .......... 

Quarantine early March yep I can understand but now ....... :default_1087:

that Pritti Patel is as thick as a Bengal Lancers Jumbo extra large deep fried Garlic and Coriander Chapati in my local Lahore Tandoori.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nampla69 said:

Problem is we still have one of the higher infection rates in the world ........... Greeks for example not likely to allow us in BBC are reporting .......... 

Quarantine early March yep I can understand but now ....... :default_1087:

that Pritti Patel is as thick as a Bengal Lancers Jumbo extra large deep fried Garlic and Coriander Chapati in my local Lahore Tandoori.

Namps from a UK perspective you are of course  entirely correct😉 

Was replying to the Monkeyman from an outward bound from Thailand perspective, and after a few ales in my defence. My plans at present are no more ambitious than the UK seaside and Ireland in the next 6 months, who knows after that.

Must be very frustrating for you, not to be able to head out and see family.

And for the Tory politicians David Davis was pound for pound the stupidest senior minister of recent times, setting the bar very low. I just turn off when Priti Patel comes on

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

My fault for not making it clear I was commenting on the posts about the UK introducing a new quarantine rule.

From Thailand's perspective I would certainly agree with you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

And for the Tory politicians David Davis was pound for pound the stupidest senior minister of recent times, setting the bar very low. I just turn off when Priti Patel comes on

I think you are both being unfair on Liz Truss .... 😉 

• Haha 2

I hope our government realise that there are probably thousands like me who don't really care about a holiday abroad. We have families away from the UK and I for one would rather be with them even if it meant me stuck in quarentine for a month or so. It would be a lot better than being holed up alone in the UK. 

As some of you know, I lost my old mum 3 weeks ago. I'm going feckin bonkers sat in the house all day by myself. Once the legal suff is sorted I'm on the first flight to Denmark or Sweden when flights become Available. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I hope our government realise that there are probably thousands like me who don't really care about a holiday abroad. We have families away from the UK and I for one would rather be with them even if it meant me stuck in quarentine for a month or so. It would be a lot better than being holed up alone in the UK. 

As some of you know, I lost my old mum 3 weeks ago. I'm going feckin bonkers sat in the house all day by myself. Once the legal suff is sorted I'm on the first flight to Denmark or Sweden when flights become Available. 

Must be a terrible time to be left alone with your thoughts after the passing of your mum.

I'm not familiar with the current travel or hotel protocols in the UK, but is it not possible at the current time to so much as board a train to some other city for just a few days to "get away from it all", so to speak, reserve a room at a hotel or guest house and at least give your mind, body and soul, a "holiday" from the surrounding environment you have been staying in?

Breath in some fresh air, see different faces, chat with different people, walk down different streets, view different scenery? Are there even accommodations available now in the UK for what I guess would be termed, "non-essential travel"?

If that is a no go right now, I meant no disrespect. I lost my father just a week or so before your mum, and for a few days alone in the house, it wasn't the best of times. But at least I had a job to still go to which helped immensely to take my mind off my family situation.

Taking to the road can be just the proper tonic to ease the mind. Hope that time can come sooner for you rather than later.

For all of us, no matter what our personal circumstances might be.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Well, I guess it's down to. Personal circumstances. 

At the moment as I think, Thailand still has a 2 week quarantine period for those entering the Kingdom although difficult to enforce once you there. 

The UK and some other countries have 2 week quarantine for those returning to the UK. A trip to Thailand and back would merit 4 weeks total in quarantine 

I am more of less in isolation now so coming back would not be a major problem, although again, very difficult to enforce. 

But most planes are not flying, boats not sailing so we do not yet have the means to travel yet anyway. But that could all change in the near future. 

I think for many, that holidays at home is a best option, especially for those with kids. But even that is reliant on hotels and guest houses reopening and more shops being open to cater for greater numbers in tourist areas, plus of course, caravan and camp sites reopening. 

Sure is a bummer but its not just down to one country. There will have to be an international approach when countries think it is safe. We are not out of the woods yet. 

The only way around the 2 week re entry quarantine would be to have on the spot virus tests on entry but that's far off. 

thailand quarantine is enforced and you are put into a comfortable ex hotel or military room for the duration

55 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

thailand quarantine is enforced and you are put into a comfortable ex hotel or military room for the duration

At your expenses I guess ....

And then when returning to your own country, you have a second round of the same ......

Sounds great !

• Haha 1