Pattaya Trams

dcfc2007

59 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Apparently pattaya is getting a tram service. I know it had been rumoured before but advertising hoardings on beach road seem to confirm that a project is going ahead, does anybody have any info?

Story done the news several times...  Phuket as well.

Considering the time needed for the Beachroad work....

And they better have it run on a 1 m surelevated track .  Electricity and water don't mix well ! 

They are building Trams in many cities around the world whether people want them or not...The number 1 complaint with trams is that they are slow very very slow....As in walking is just about as fast slow.....Plus they have loooooog wait times between Trams......Plus they slow traffic down. Plus they have to wait at light same as cars......

Pattayas Baht buses are the opposite of Trams......The Baht buses move very fast and there is very little wait time and they are very cheap......

So people would not use the Tram in Pattaya......The only way they could get people to use a Tram is to get rid of the baht buses....

Pattaya has ZERO need for a Tram.........The only real benefit to building a Tram is some one is going to be making piles of money on its construction......

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

They are building Trams in many cities around the world whether people want them or not...The number 1 complaint with trams is that they are slow very very slow....As in walking is just about as fast slow.....Plus they have loooooog wait times between Trams......Plus they slow traffic down. Plus they have to wait at light same as cars......
 Pattayas Baht buses are the opposite of Trams......The Baht buses move very fast and there is very little wait time and they are very cheap......
So people would not use the Tram in Pattaya......The only way they could get people to use a Tram is to get rid of the baht buses....
Pattaya has ZERO need for a Tram.........The only real benefit to building a Tram is some one is going to be making piles of money on its construction......

The northern Gold Coast got a tram service and it is great. Good patronage and I would say speeds are not too far behind car travel.

I’ve used it many times. They are now expanding it further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article in the Bangkok Post this morning.

"Pattaya City administration has allocated a budget of 70 million baht for a feasibility study project"

Thinking it's in rather poor taste for the City to be talking about spending 70M on a study when there are thousands lining up every day for food. Shows how fcked up the govt priorities are.

Pattaya City unveils plans for nine-kilometre monorail

3641912.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

The northern Gold Coast got a tram service and it is great. Good patronage and I would say speeds are not too far behind car travel.

I’ve used it many times. They are now expanding it further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you live up Runaway Bar area? they was talkingabout trams on the Gold Coast when I lived there 71-81.

regards

grayray

22 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Article in the Bangkok Post this morning.

"Pattaya City administration has allocated a budget of 70 million baht for a feasibility study project"

Thinking it's in rather poor taste for the City to be talking about spending 70M on a study when there are thousands lining up every day for food. Shows how fcked up the govt priorities are.

Pattaya City unveils plans for nine-kilometre monorail

3641912.jpg

Well the monorail is at least a better idea than a useless tram.....But the monorail needs to connect to the high speed train to have a purpose.....The high speed train is a ways off...

Edited by fforest

3 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Hi Grayray,

No I live on the northside of Brisbane but use the tram everytime I go down the coast.

worked up Brisbane on the Bald Hills overpass 6mths and then at Q.I.T. driving philes travel up from Surfers every day,shit ! had some late days getting home we would stop at old Russ Hinzes Oxenford hotel,

played league with his grandson

regards

grayray

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be one of the signs referred to in the OP, taken a couple of weeks ago.  It's on the side of the pump house or whatever it is, just before the entrance to The Beer Garden as you walk south down Beach Road.  I think it's asking for inputs rather than advertising.

tram.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well the monorail is at least a better idea than a useless tram.....But the monorail needs to connect to the high speed train to have a purpose.....The high speed train is a ways off...

Monorail is way more expensive, complicated and longer to build. See BTS in BKK....

A tram is many times cheaper.

• Like 1

Wonder how frequent they will be and whether they will be fixed  pricing or number of stops.

Just looking at the routes. I guess there will be a lot of disruption on beach and second road as they lay the tracks and cables etc

Will they have their own lanes? Just thinking about baht busses and cars holding them up when busy if shared lanes.

Will surely reduce the number of baby busses belching out black fumes.

10 hours ago, fforest said:

The newish tram we have here in Nottingham is excellent and has none of the downsides you mention there, I use it all the time to go into the city.

Tram systems work well in countries that have decent roads, traffic lights, and a population that has been educated to learn how to drive and follow the rules of the road. Look at the amount of drink driving accidents there are in Pattaya! If anything, the locals could use the tram as a way to deflect water down their soi's and out towards the beach and sea! Might be more useful doing that with the trams instead.

Don't think a tram will be much good in Pattaya, never mind other parts of Thailand as well.

57 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

The newish tram we have here in Nottingham is excellent and has none of the downsides you mention there, I use it all the time to go into the city.

Same in my borough of London. The Tram are great apart from a tragic accident over a year ago. 

But in Pattaya maybe different and may take a while for motorists to adapt to sharing the roads.  They will probably be much safer and environmentally friendly than baht busses.