The lock-down and your health

Bazle

No good , before lockdown had only drank three times in 2020 and was going to the gym four times a week .... have put weight on through inactivity , boredom eating and alcohol , have been staying up to around 03:00 most nights and getting up late .... need to do something about it .. starting tomorrow..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Bazle said:

How has the lock-down affected your health?

Weight? Alcohol? Fitness? Mental issues?

Losing weight like crazy, down 12 kilos in 3 months and I'm not on a diet. Though still been working but spend at least half a day sitting on a forklift. 

Alcohol no issue. 

Fitness is not great as I am only active a few hours a day at work. 

Never been the full ticket mentally so no change there. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

Actually for me, I have lost 5 pounds, due to no gym open at the moment. How is that? Running at the High School more, 4 days per week now. Do the free weights at home, not even remotely close to the equipment at the gym so......no alcohol during the day at all. Sadly though, been buying a few new things on the Internet. Justifying that the Trump Stimulus money has arrived and no dinners out,  Viet Coffee Shops, concerts or other activities, so have some extra "fun money" to spend. 

This has been a real eye opener for alot of us....did not really realize how much has been taken away from us, until it is not there anymore. 

Have lived in this city for 51 years, good lord, have never seen it so quiet. Amazing..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Actually for me, I have lost 5 pounds, due to no gym open at the moment. How is that? Running at the High School more, 4 days per week now. Do the free weights at home, not even remotely close to the equipment at the gym so......no alcohol during the day at all. Sadly though, been buying a few new things on the Internet. Justifying that the Trump Stimulus money has arrived and no dinners out,  Viet Coffee Shops, concerts or other activities, so have some extra "fun money" to spend. 

This has been a real eye opener for alot of us....did not really realize how much has been taken away from us, until it is not there anymore. 

Have lived in this city for 51 years, good lord, have never seen it so quiet. Amazing..

Get those Viet coffee shops open, I miss your pics of those babes. 😀

• Like 3

Not putting any weight on but not getting nearly enough exercise being at home so much and not being able to visit a gym. I am getting lazyer by the day and have to force myself to do the simplest chores. I am sleeping a lot more since lockdown. Not sure why though

Renovating my house at the moment and buying gym equipment, making a home gym. Training 6 days out of 8 and keeping busy. Out every day visiting friends and family and driving around the place. Chinese supermarket in Glasgow today, place was mobbed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

None of the above.

After all, except from not being able to enjoy my fav beach bars and restaurants, and trips to the jungle house being suspended nothing has changed for us.

Supermarket, barber, a beer here or there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Actually for me, I have lost 5 pounds, due to no gym open at the moment. How is that?

I'd guess you've lost a little muscle mass, if you were used to heavy gym weights- muscle weighing more than fat

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

Weight I don't know as don't have a set of scales, clothes feel looser, so maybe lighter.

Fitness is good, doing 3 circuits style sessions per week, and running twice. Having definitely got a lot stronger.

As for mentally, I do struggle on some days, especially at the weekends. Even trying to stay occupied,  having things to,  I hit spells  of boredom/feeling down and then open a beer. Which leads my lockdown problem, definitely drinking too much-  consumption  has gone up.

I know I need to rein that it in- rare night off the booze tonight.

• Like 2

Lost over a stone in weight and now lowest weight in 15 years. Just done a 48 hour autophagy fast, 

to celebrate the end of Ramadan of course. ( I made that last line up). Was buzzing at the end of 48 hours used to do these fasts a lot and forgot how good you can feel. 

No booze in 6 weeks today. :default_party-smiley-048:

Exercising most days but had to rest recently as was burning out.

Reading loads (Seven Deadly Sins) - My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh just now.

and only a few more episodes of the very recent Netflix hit show Breaking Bad to go. Trendy and up to date or what as Larry would say!!! ...:default_abe:..... OK I'm the last one on here to watch it.

Discovered the joy of Podcasts and now watching Joe Rogan most days on YouTube again just discovered him a month or so ago ...... saw his Charles Murray one today and love this stuff. 

............. missing the touch of a woman's body like crazy however ....:default_458:

Stay sane guys ...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mostly very good. Lost 13.5kgs in 9 weeks, exercise daily. 30 min walk first thing plus sit ups , press ups and weights. Afternoon do a 40/45 min cycle. plus a whole lot more active in general.

no booze for 9 weeks as only drink when out

eating healthily j

just need to keep this going 

edit : mental health is ok but at times a struggle being at home full time - been working more recently so that helps 

Edited by AJSP
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Trying to change my diet to a more healthy regime, and am eating a lot more fruit, so I suppose that helps a little. Still like the occasional fry up though.

Weight is consistent (consistently over)

Took a bit of a battering mentally when a mate commited suicide recently, but thankfully have a good support of family and friends.

Booze -- I think in the last two weeks there has been about 3 days where I have had a few cans. That is despite a bm recently try to imply I was some sort of functioning alcoholic.

Trying to exercise and get out walking more, but the weather here in Aberdeen will not co-operate. Looking forward to normality.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

I have lost 6 pounds - down from 146 to 140 lbs. Being 5ft 10ins, I was originally concerned about it, but it seems to have stabilised, so am not worrying too much - particularly now I'm reading some others here have had the same experience.

I live alone, and have never been one to drink on my own, so if I have a problem with alcohol it is that I'm not drinking it, and am losing weight!

I don't think the lock-down has made me any more or less fit. Basically, I'm not one for exercise, so that hasn't changed much.

I guess I am having some mental issues: 

* It is getting progressively more uncomfortable not having person to person social contact. I have at least 2 or 3 telephone/video conversations each day, and that helps a lot in keeping me sane, but the only people I have spoken with face to face for 2 months are the ladies at the supermarket tills.

* I am concerned I might never get back to my condo in Pattaya, and worry a bit about its security.

• Like 1

I am weighing in at 113 kg which is about my regular weight over the last 10 years.It is my diet that is responsible for my weight as I drink alcohol infrequently, for my height I should be about 85kg but unfortunetly I have a sweet tooth and eat a lot of fatty foods. I have been working right through the lockdown which has kept me active, I am on my feet for the whole of my working day, which is the only real excercise I take except for a nature ramble with the missus now and again Although I work in a hospice that has had covid patients the catering dept has not been going into the units so I consider myself to have been low risk. My wife however is a carer and has been in the thick of it with multiple deaths in her care home, I dont mind admitting I have found the last couple of months very stressful as we have not been keeping apart, as of today though there are only 2 cases in her home and they are not in her unit, so that is a big relief.Here in Wales we can still only make essential journeys by car so hopefully next month sometime we will be able to go further afield in the car to stretch our legs.

Edited by Binlid
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 1

57 minutes ago, Bazle said:

* I am concerned I might never get back to my condo in Pattaya, and worry a bit about its security.

I thought that would be one of the advantages of a condo , 24hour security ... how long do you normally leave it unoccupied for ? 

On a serious note I've never eaten so much fruit in my life. Mainly bananas and oranges. I drink 2 litres of water most days and I try to get some salad down me. 

On the downside, my main meal, is usually comfort food so not too healthy and I'm having a few beers every night. This plus a rizla and golden Virginia apperatiffe. 

Need to start using the exercise bike I bought a month ago. Looking at it seems hard work right now! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bazle said:

Weight wise I've probably lost a couple of kgs.

Alcohol isn't an issue and I've had 1 beer at home in the 2 months this shit has been going on.

Fitness wise things have been bad, I used to go to the gym nearly everyday but again because of this shit they were closed and I used to do a fair bit of walking and swimming but now I seem to have lost the motivation to go out walking.

Mentally I'll own up and say I'm suffering a lot and not enjoying life at all, I liked to be able to go out for a drink and a game of pool with mates a couple of times a week but that's obviously gone now, as I said above I used to go to the gym and I really enjoyed it there and pushed myself on the weights but again that's gone too now. Now I find that apart from going out to buy food I'm staying in my house just watching Youtube and anything decent that I read about that I can download. I'm sleeping way more than I used too and also smoking way more. All in all me and solitude don't go well together as I've always been someone that likes to keep busy and occupied. I had planned on going down to Soi Buakhow market today to get some BBQ pork but the way I feel now I'll probably leave it until Friday.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I thought that would be one of the advantages of a condo , 24hour security ... how long do you normally leave it unoccupied for ? 

The security at my condo complex is, shall we say, "inefficient" at the best of times. Now, with Covid-19, they are leaving open all the entrance doors to the buildings so that people don't have to touch them.

Usually, I leave the condo unoccupied for 4 - 6 weeks at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weight - always been lucky in this respect. Have been on the 12 stone mark for donkeys years and at a tad under 6 feet tall that's about right. Lockdown hasn't caused any change thankfully.

Alcohol - I'm drinking less overall than in normal times. No beer in the house but thank God for Laithwaites delivering my red wine on a regular basis . . . 😁

Exercise - this is bad as not doing much. A walk to the shops once a week is about it. A badly strained calf muscle in my left leg isn't helping, hurts like hell after walking about 100 yards. Getting a bit concerned about it as it's been like this for 2 months and when laying flat my left foot tingles and is sometimes a bit numb. It's all connected to my calf, can feel it.

Mental - no problems there, keep myself busy on my laptop and have the Android box I bought in Thailand so have the choice of hundreds of channels to watch. Do find myself talking to myself out loud sometimes - makes me laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1