Only child

Bazle

I am the eldest of three and my brother was planned because my parents didn't like how I was reacting when other children received attention from them (I was ten months at the time). It took me a bit longer to convince my wife our son needed a sibling (for the very same reason 😉 ), so the age gap is a bit larger.

My boy is an only child.

Hes 13 and I honestly wish we should’ve had another.

But then,he’s a good kid.Not a c**t like I was.Or is.

I think a little competition for attention might not have been a bad thing,but then,too much,like my brothers and I,was a nightmare.

Hes a really nice kid.Not a mean bone in his body,and he really loves his Mum.
Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

No have two elder siblings but a six year gap, to me the youngest that meant I did have years in my teens on my own. 

So got used a bit to being on my own, don't feel it caused any issues. Unfortunately my two elder siblings who are a year apart don't really get on. 

Edited by Lemondropkid

When I was born I was an awkward little shit & my mother nearly died so was advised not to repeat the process.

So I was an only child. Both me & the missus were in our mid 30's when we got married & 30 years later have no offspring. 

Lots of people have said to me you'll miss having children when you get old....dunno how old you have to get to but I don't so far & how can you miss what you've never had?

Sometimes I feel for the missus not having kids but then I remind myself that she was 33 when we married so she had plenty of opportunity prior to that.

But I do have 3 sisters-in-law & 4 brothers-in-law & f**k knows how many nieces & nephews.

I was an only child, have two daughters who both have had just the one child.

I am certain that their decision to only have one child each was for economic reasons.  I have never really given that a thought as everybody is so happy with the situation.

My wife was told on more than one occasion by "friends" that we were being selfish in waiting (not that many) years to have our first child. The simple fact was, we were having such a great time and going  on great holidays and they were stuck changing nappies. We both had good jobs and for the first time in my life we had money and we made the most of it and enjoyed ourselves.

I was brought up by my Mother and Grandmother and had no "Father figure" in my life. We lived in a big rented house opposite (Highgate) woods which was great but behind us was a very rough council estate and I was not allowed to play with the kids.......any kids...... Ever!  So initially I was a loner but reasonably comfortable with that situation because I did not know any different.

When I was about 8 or 9 we moved to a cottage in Highgate Village and I  began to make real friends with the other kids at the new School some of whom have lasted with me a lifetime.

Then life changed again when I went to Grammar School and developed a big chip on my shoulder ( inferiority complex) as I was suddenly mixing with the "rich kids" and was particularly ill at ease with the girls at School. How was this poor boy ever going to get his leg over any of these rich girls? I literally could not even talk to them.

Eventually I worked out that the girls my age all went for the older boys so I dropped my sights down a couple of years and it all fell into place. Still didn't get my leg over but it was a lot, lot more fun trying.🤣 The self confidence came and I stopped being an ass and worked my bollocks off academically.

In summary, being an only and lonely child is not much fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can relate to much of what Jambo has written. I was brought up as an only child. Also, for most of my early years, there were no children of my age in my neighbourhood, so no other kids to play with.

I think it has made me a loner, and someone who does not find sharing things easy. I'm happy to live alone as I don't want anyone invading my space. or expecting me to share the TV etc. 🙂

I did live with a girl for 6 years when I was in my late 30s, but she was a kindred spirit, and it was more like a flat share with benefits! ☺️

Just now, Krapow said:

I've two younger brothers. 

Though I sometimes think/wish I had another child, with our daughter an only child with no family except us in England. 

You've had plenty of time during lockdown... 😉😉😉 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

I was brought up by my Mother and Grandmother and had no "Father figure" in my life. We lived in a big rented house opposite (Highgate) woods which was great but behind us was a very rough council estate and I was not allowed to play with the kids.......any kids...... Ever!  So initially I was a loner but reasonably comfortable with that situation because I did not know any different.

When I was about 8 or 9 we moved to a cottage in Highgate Village and I  began to make real friends with the other kids at the new School some of whom have lasted with me a lifetime.

Are you in this picture by any chance ??

Unknown.jpeg

You haven't changed a bit .......... well a bit ..... love the sepia tone and those Viva Zapata looks and blimey a bottle of Hirondelle........ :default_drinks:......... 

you must have seen Ray Davies and the Kinks around your way back in the 70s.

Him and his brother used to be in the Flask or The Prince of Wales Highgate Village every weekend + Rod Stewart grew up near you and Peter Sellars and Lulu and ....

I had 3 older sisters and a twin brother, just the one sister left now.

Never had a problem, except the hand me down cloths never fitted and whilst some men can carry off wearing blue gingham school dresses, I never mastered the art.

We have just the one 10 year old son, and he's a well grounded kid, never asks for anything, loves sport and can even hang out the washing, if he stands on tiptoe. He is always with his friends (not at the moment obviously) either at home or during all his sporting activities and doesn't seem to mind being an only child, in fact, I think he prefers it.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 2:40 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

We were so poor the neighbor had me :default_cray:My Dad always took the time to play with me though his favorite game to play with me was Hide and go f**k myself ah yes the good old days

As long as he didn't play hide the sausage it ain't a bad childhood. 

• Haha 1

I am the eldest of 9kids

4sisters and 4 brothers  me 75 the youngest 57 brother.i did not grow up with my brothers when they was young,sometimes wish that the 4 boys was born in place of the sisters,i would be more close to them,cause we would have terrorise the streets,its bit hard to put fear into the mob from the estate over the hill when you turn up for a clay stick fight with your sisters as backup

although I would back 2 of girls against any of the snot noses from the hill at 6 and 8yr olds,shit they was firey wee buggers,many times they would slam into the oldman when he come home full of piss and bad manners,and took his drunken anger out on me,one thing he did was made me harden up,got into many fights protecting my sisters when they was young teenagers.if I had me brothers 1.2.4. years younger than me we would fluck those estate plicks forsure.

but now I even have trouble remembering most things from my youth in my home town,get reminded by a few if I go back to home town to have a few beer and bundies with my young nephews,who are just as wild as I was,

love em they never take shit from anyone,

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Thumbs Up 1