How do you fair in hot and sunny climates?

Nightcrawler

Personally I can take temperatures up to around 26 degrees or so with little humidity. In Thailand ,one of things I am not so keen on is the continual heat and I find myself diving into air conditioned places, throughout the day and my clothes feel damp.

I know that others love the hot weather especially when sunny

How do you get on with hot climates?

• Like 1

I don't.

I'm Irish and pale, I wasn't built to cope. 

I tend to avoid being out in the direct sunlight, I always hide for the shade. 

I actually try to avoid being outside during the day altogether. 

At night time it is a lot more comfortable for most of the year, however the humidity can still be a real drain.

It's 21 degrees here at the minute, and about 12 at night, that is perfect for me. 

In Thailand I can do the likes of November or January when I now usually visit okay.

I used to also visit in June, once in April to experience Songkran, but was too hot for me, I found myself going into 7/11s just to cool down. 

Yeah agree with others Thailand is tough to live in. 3 years there and I will admit that it did become a bit easier with dealing with the humidity, but long term as you get older, you will be forced to stay inside alot more.  I am not the " sit around the house" type so perhaps long term, we will be here in Calif more. 

Rachanee loves it here, especially the year around weather and like myself, likes running outdoors instead of the treadmill inside at her home. 

IMG_9685-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not so bad with the heat but like just about everyone the humidity I find uncomfortable. Over the years I have found the best way for me to deal with it is not to try and fight it. Slow down, get acclimatised, use fans during the day etc.

Edited by Smiler

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I love sunshine  , love just being able to wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt.... my ideal would be six months in Asia ( Oct -  April ) and six months in Europe 

Ditto from me, I hate the cold and this past year I spent 5 months in Asia, some in Canada and the rest in Europe.

I was on my limit in Cambodia during March when it was 40 degrees and humid, real feel mid 40's. I still walked a few miles every day in it but needed the recovery time in aircon on my return.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hate the heat, but I must admit I always lose weight when I spend extended periods in warm climates. Whether it was Arizona, Thailand, or summers in Canada, I just seem to be more active and sweat out those calories when it’s warm. But yes, humidity is the real killer. Anything above 25C in Montreal I find uncomfortable, because it feels like 35. Mom said last week there was already a day that had a Realfeel of 43.....and that’s end of May, with July-August being the hottest months. Heading there in a few weeks, hope it’s cooler

15 hours ago, boydeste said:

Ditto from me, I hate the cold and this past year I spent 5 months in Asia, some in Canada and the rest in Europe.

I was on my limit in Cambodia during March when it was 40 degrees and humid, real feel mid 40's. I still walked a few miles every day in it but needed the recovery time in aircon on my return.

I really loved Chiang Mai a decade ago,  I stayed mid July to February 1st. Hottest was “only” 36C, coolest night was 13, still OK for shorts/T-shirt for me. But I could never live there year round because of the damn burning season, some days are horrible. When you hear of Thai heat waves hitting 45 on the mercury, plus whatever humidity, that’s got to be unbearable outdoors. I couldn’t do it 

I worked at Dhahran & then Muscat for over 10 years & both get extremely hot & humid.Once I was acclimatised to that Thailand was a doddle but I'm the wrong colour & spent too long on the flight line & the beach for my own good.

I've been told by a professor of dermatology that my skin is permanently damaged & to stay out of the sun & wear a big hat if I do go out in it.

I still love the heat although during summer in Korat it is a bit oppressive.

The good thing is the last time I checked all the bars have a roof....

• Like 2

I dont think any of us from a temperate climate ever get used to the heat and particularly the humidity.

On the other hand I detest the cold so hobson's choice.

Who the f#@k was hobson?

With the additional restrictions imposed on us by Covid19 I am finding I am spending most afternoons in the shade on a comfortable sun bed reading my kindle with two fans going full blast and drinking lots of cold, non-alcoholic, drinks. Anything else involves going out in the sun and it is 33 -36 most days unless there is a thunderstorm. Then it is cooler but the humidity following is awful.

I am an early riser so I cycle around 7.00am most mornings after walking the dogs for half an hour or so. Then it is mostly work in the garden etc which takes me up to lunchtime after an extnded cold shower. Then it is crash out until the dogs pester me for another walk but that is not as pleasant as it is much hotter than the morning one and generally longer.

The only place I know where we can all have a meal sitting together ( with a beer or three) is at the fishing park. They do surprisingly good food and very inexpensive. Bottled beer appears from somewhere round the back and you need a big glass full of ice as it is not chilled. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

not agree with you 100 %, i am defently very White and Danish, and i run 2 times Pattaya Maraton and one time Bangkok maraton, Bangkok was far over 30 dg when i was finishing, the good thing is the races was starting around 4.30 am, but i was first finish running about 8 am, so it was very warm, to say it honest, my wife (Thai) defently said that i am a crazy person and was very nervous so long i was running it first time, but she could see that i could handle the heats, she  couldn't care less, the other 2 races

Well, after living and working for a lifetime north of the 60th parallel in Canada, I've seen my share of serious cold and don't much care for it anymore; even now as June begins it can dip slightly below zero at night time although the days are warm when the sun is out; it's usually windy here and let the sun go behind a cloud or have a rain shower come over and it cools off quickly so you always need to dress in layers that you can either remove or add during the course of the day. I swore many years ago after a particularly nasty day of winter work in the Arctic that I would never complain about heat again and I haven't - it doesn't really bother me that much.   I  love the simplicity of dressing for the Thai climate, just a tropical shirt, decent boxer underwear and a good pair of shorts and I am good for any day or night in Thailand. I love walking around Pattaya and Jomtien in the afternoon and have my favourite pit stops along the  way - or rather did until the virus fuss closed them all - somehow it just isn't the same going in a 7-11 for a bottle of water compared to stopping for a  cold beer  and a little interaction with the girls. 

I should add that although it sounds extreme where I live, it is a dry cold and provide you are properly dressed for it, is probably generally not as unpleasant as the "cold and miserable British winter" that galenkia refers to...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can't handle the heat now days[older] as I did back in my working days[construction].

reckon you poms have trouble in LOS,because you mostly wear the wrong gear,when out and about.

look,look at me t-shirts,no proper head gear,loose button up shirts outside the shorts allows air to circulate around those beer guts fellas :default_beer:

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray

I love the heat, although I start to slow down at about 37C and the low 40's we get in summer can be unpleasant especially if I need to do physical work. Needless to say I drink a lot of water in the warmer weather, 5-10 litres a day is not uncommon. The cold does horrible things to me anything below 15C is unpleasant. Humidity tends to knock me about more than it used to.

My current job has me outside in all sorts of weather. Spent several hours standing in the wind and rain on successive days last week, which confirmed my opinion, several simple movements were painful. It takes a lot to warm up and get movement back.

all these years living here and I still hate the end of the hot season when the rains come.  i love the rain as it cools the air and  thats great but the humidity kills me.  my home is 24/7 ac on so always a welcome when i walk in but working now with a sack barrow loading trucks of food sees me go thru 2-3 shirts n a morning and sweat like a turkish wrestler.  mid june to feb is great.  but real feel of 40, or 90% humidity isnt good for me or my health

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't care ... the hotter and sunnier the better ...

Except I get pretty f***king sunburned really easy ... so, I always ( not always -- but, pretty close to ) wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat when I am out on the sea / beach .... which is every day

Some days the sun is brutal ... but, nothing feels better than hold your face in the sun and feel the heat .... another reason that makes me feel happy to be alive !

• Thumbs Up 1

20 degrees is fine, any hotter and I am usually staying out of the sun.  If you are not working it is not so bad and if you are on a motorbike with a breeze, again it is not so bad but any longer than 10 minutes and starting to sweat is not my thing.

The last few days have been too hot in the UK, I think is getting down to 15 -18 the rest of the week so I am well happy. I also have vitiligo so tend to keep out of the sun, I certainly can't lie in it on a beach.