Flying

Nightcrawler

I normally fly economy and I don't really enjoy the experience at all. I feel most happy when I get out off BKK and in a taxi. That's when the heat and smells of Thailand kick in and the thought of the excitement that I am going to have for a few weeks

I have a mate who worked for BA who got me on Club class four times on his staff concessions and what a difference it was too

A bed, drinks served on tap, fairly nice food and a gentle wake up call for breakfast. I arrived very refreshed in BKK and I didn't feel tired at all. 

Normally, I feel like shit after travelling for hours on end couped up in aan aircraft  with constant distractions going on. I feel almost clostraphobic.

It would cost me about 1500 quid to fly business class to BKK from Dublin. That's simply too much money out of my holiday budget, but business class sure does look good. However, I can't understand guys that fly business class then stay in a 1000b a night hotel. 

I don't mind it going, as on a buzz. 

Now different with a child, always try for night flights, once the child's asleep, can relax and take a 'mother's little helper' or two, and sleep. Missus can sleep anywhere, and if the child wakes up, will sort it. 

Though toilets, queueing, mask wearing etc, everything will be different going forward for a while at least.

I have been flying Premium economy for a while now and the increased comfort etc has been noticable, but I got a free upgrade to business on my return last trip and the experience was so much better.

I am not sure I could justify the extra cost to pay for it though!

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 3

I am perfectly happy in economy. I am short so there is plenty of room for my legs. The airlines could easily reduce the gap between rows with 5 cm without it bothering me.

I hate seats with extra legroom, I cant reach the fucking footrest under the seat in front. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

It would cost me about 1500 quid to fly business class to BKK from Dublin. That's simply too much money out of my holiday budget, but business class sure does look good. However, I can't understand guys that fly business class then stay in a 1000b a night hotel. 

What airline is that ? Where is the stop over?

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I did a round trip on Cathay business class in the 1980's Middle East - London - Thailand - back to work.

Got upgraded to first Hong Kong - BKK and I was well sozzled by the time I got to Bangkok.

Probably the only bloke ever to disembark from first class & then stay in the Rose Hotel in Patpong,dunno what it's like now but back then it was a really grubby ST place.

• Like 2

Business,First or nothing over 5 hours.

in September last year I thought,”hell,I will be ok in economy from BKK to Sydney return”.

when I got to Sydney I went straight/to the Qantas desk and paid for Biz on the return leg.

it was fucking despicable how we were treated.

Never again.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I have been flying Premium economy for a while now and the increased comfort etc has been noticable, but I got a free upgrade to business on my return last trip and the experience was so much better.

I am not sure I could justify the extra cost to pay for it though!

Just do one trip Oct - April 😉 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Business,First or nothing over 5 hours.

in September last year I thought,”hell,I will be ok in economy from BKK to Sydney return”.

when I got to Sydney I went straight/to the Qantas desk and paid for Biz on the return leg.

it was fucking despicable how we were treated.

Never again.

I flew economy on my last trip to LOS , first time in over ten years,  the cost of Business for that trip was much more than normal.... but never again , the checkin at Swampy took around two hours , was dying to use a toilet towards the end , but travelling alone .. 

• Like 1

I never pay for biz class, can't justify the extra cost, would rather spend the money on a good hotel.

Night flights and xanax help with economy.

However I generate a lot of points with credit card spend and sign up bonuses, plus the BA companion voucher, so get to fly biz class regularly... It makes such a difference, holiday starts at check in.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I've said it before , but travelling Business your holiday starts at the Airport - no queues at check in ,  shorter wait at security , then straight to the lounge ... first on the plane , first off it , dedicated immigration area and your baggage is first off as well ... makes the whole experience more pleasant 

I'd say you can improve on that and make the holiday start when you leave home and get an Emirates' chauffeur driven Mercedes to take you to the airport. 🙂

Service has been stopped currently and some rumours it might not return, so fingers crossed it does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have been upgraded a few times with Emirates, and enjoyed the experience. Appeals more as I get older have to admit. The issue for me, is I would rather spend the extra dosh on accommodation. End of the day, its three months comfort and convenience, vs a days comfort. whilst travelling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkey_omelette said:

Love Emirates business class on the A380. Don't even have to board on the same level as the riffraff, straight out of the business class lounge onto the top floor of the plane.

I can only afford Riff Raff Class on Emirates. Have some compassion 😄 it's one up from Baggage Class

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john1000 said:

Have been upgraded a few times with Emirates, and enjoyed the experience. Appeals more as I get older have to admit. The issue for me, is I would rather spend the extra dosh on accommodation. End of the day, its three months comfort and convenience, vs a days comfort. whilst travelling.

Don't let Paki-wan hear you say that! lol

• Haha 2

I usually do 4 trips a year and I will do 2-3 in business class.  I must admit I like business class,  getting picked up at the house from emirates before your flight, usually no waiting at check in. Then it's in the lounge for some scran and a few beers. Told myself last trip I wasn't going to bother again and just do economy as I usually crash out straight away and  its a bit of a waste of money.

I was talking to a mate last week that I usually go with and he's doing first class in December since he's missed out on 3 trips this year because Covid. He was trying to get me to book up with him but it's some difference in price from first to business, he said it was like £5200 for first, Fck that 😀. I was just thinking of what I could get up to in Bangkok with the money I would save not going first😀😀

Back when I was working I traveled a lot and the company let us keep our miles.  I ended up with a gold card for an airline in each of the alliances, which increases miles.  As I advanced in the company I rated business class trips, which gives even more miles.  At one point I had well over a million miles.  TW and I enjoyed many free business class trips back to Thailand.  We used them up by the time I retired, but I haven't left Thailand in nearly six years so I don't miss them.  After the kids came along we flew economy anyway.