Does anyone still use a Fountain Pen and ink?

john luke

Have not used one in years. Don't often use a pen these days and my handwriting has become appalling. People used to spend hours carefully crafting letters and documents on stylish pen and ink, rarely seen in today's world. No one uses sealing wax either

4 minutes ago, Painter said:

I've still got one, but it's got those new fangled ink cartridges and so you dont have to use an ink bottle.

Last used..... er....  um.... many years ago!

Me too. A Parker. Never used it and still in the box. 

I have always fancied writing a letter in blood. I guess the cartridge could be refilled😄

I used them at school but not since.

My mum has given me a load of letters I wrote to my parents when I was in the middle east 1980-92 & my handwriting was poor then,I'm guessing it must be near unintelligible now.

3 hours ago, john luke said:

g_S0887970_b.jpg

Vintage Parker Super Quink Ink Bottle (Empty) and Box, Fountain pen

I can remember using these at school.  Biros were a big no no.  

As time progressed a few still used them. 

Ages now since I saw anyone use one. What about you?

We had inkwells set into the desks and used those awful pens that you had to dip into the ink every line or so.

Our fingers were permanently black during our first school years. 🕳️✍️

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I still use one of these

Quill.jpg

We got this temp at work who puts orders on the computer system. He is a bit Aspergery or something, we nicknamed him Rain Man, but anyway he has this fucking great ledger he writes all his orders in, think trainspotter type. 

That ink and quill would be perfect for him. 

• Haha 1

biros are shite and were banned in our school.  later in life I lived in switzerland and bought a mont blanc fountain pen, still have.  when my daughter got her first job after Uni I gave her similar.  she loves it too.  be honest i cant remember the last time i used any pen except to sign documents

I had to use fountain pens for the first few years in elementary school, and I'll always remember one of our classrooms being selected for a trial use of indoor/outdoor carpeting - wasn't more than a day or two before some kid spilled a whole bottle of ink all over it, lol...

Please forgive my ignorance, but when you mention "biro" are you referring to what we colonials would call a "ballpoint" pen? 

• Like 1

Last time I used one was at my wedding to my first wife at the registrar office. I believe that it is (or was) a legal requirement in Scotland to sign your life away--(and your house car pensions etc) in "free flowing ink" when you were married.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, fatbhoytim said:

Last time I used one was at my wedding to my first wife at the registrar office. I believe that it is (or was) a legal requirement in Scotland to sign your life away--(and your house car pensions etc) in "free flowing ink" when you were married.

^

Same for me, at my wedding I was handed a silver Sheaffer  fountain pen to write in the book of marriage. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Since 2002 I have always signed all my letters using a quill and the blood of a virgin....

Haven't written a letter since last millenia, it is the 21st century and email is invented ffs

Where in the hell did you find a virgin? 

Handwriting will soon be a thing of the past. Give it time and kids will look at a pencil or pen in a museum and say, "Dad, so you mean to tell me you used a piece of yellow wood and scratched it onto paper in school?" ~~while the kid continues to type away on his smartphone.

Writing is dying. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

4 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I had to use fountain pens for the first few years in elementary school, and I'll always remember one of our classrooms being selected for a trial use of indoor/outdoor carpeting - wasn't more than a day or two before some kid spilled a whole bottle of ink all over it, lol...

Please forgive my ignorance, but when you mention "biro" are you referring to what we colonials would call a "ballpoint" pen? 

Yes mate.