next series of openings in thailand... NOT BARS

tommy dee

BANGKOK — Bars, pubs, beer houses, karaoke bars, erotic massage parlours, and children’s ball pits will not be allowed to reopen in the next phase of reopenings, the government said on Wednesday. 

The Phase 4 reopening measure, slated for late June or early July, will not include those establishments because they are considered “high-risk” of spreading the coronavirus, according to Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the government’s COVID-19 crisis center. 

“We have seen in Thailand that pubs, bars, and karaoke bars are risky areas,” Taweesin said, referring to the Thong Lor downtown party that spread the disease.

The spokesman said the following measures and their start date would be finalized at the crisis center’s Friday meeting. He said it could be as early as June 14 or 15 or even in early July. 

Venues allowed to reopen include international schools and tutoring centers. International schools open first since they have earlier summer breaks. Schools under the jurisdiction of the state’s education ministry and will open later. 

Government seminars and meetings, as well as food courts, hotels, and restaurants can fully open. Restaurants can also serve alcoholic beverages. However, salespeople promoting the sale of alcohol will not be allowed.

“Cheer beer waiters or waitresses are not allowed. They promote people to stay and drink. Drink and then go home,” Taweesin said. “Restaurants can reopen and serve alcohol since people don’t spend as much time there, only during mealtimes.” 

Buffets cannot allow people to serve their own food.

Daycares, elderly care centers, meeting halls, exhibition centers, banquet halls, science centers, sports venues, and concert halls can also reopen. However, sports competitions must have no audience members, and concerts must practice strict social distancing.

“Going to the orchestra and relaxing is good. But with heavier genres of music, this could have people singing along and spreading saliva,” Taweesin said. 

Transportation centers and operation of buses, vans, and trains can also fully reopen – but passengers in vehicles must be capped at 70 percent.

Film production sets can have a maximum of 150 people on set. Spas, onsens, herbal steam services can fully open, but erotic massage parlours or “soapy massage” – a euphemism for commercial sex venues – cannot. 

Amusement parks and water parks can reopen, but pools and water play areas must allow only one person every 8 square meters. Ball pits must remain closed. Arcades within malls can reopen, but stand alone game shops will remain closed.

Open-air stadiums, martial arts gyms can also fully reopen and even hold competitions as long as there is no audience and no promotional sales activities are included in the event. Parks and group exercises can also be held, with a limit of 50 people per activity. 

Taweesin also announced Wednesday that four additional Thais contracted COVID-19, all returnees currently in state quarantine: two from India, one from Madagascar, and one from Pakistan. 

Wednesday marks 16 days in a row of zero domestic infections.

thai news

• Like 1

Pubs and hairdressers will not be able to serve customers again for at least another month, the business secretary has confirmed while warning retailers over their conduct ahead of next week's reopening of non-essential stores in England.

7 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

same in Uk pubs remain closed at least another month or more there too i think

Yep, it's not just a thai phenomenon. Bars have been amongst the last businesses to reopen in many countries. However, a possible loophole in restaurants being able to serve alcohol? 

Just read it again, apart from the bars, generally it's quite a big easing, and not before time considering the lack of infection or virus in the country. 

Some will have their jobs back, though until tourists are allowed back, places like Pattaya or other tourist places will struggle, and the food queues will continue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Does this mean the Beer Garden can reopen, if so a good place to go.

As I understand it, PBG is closed, and is affected by the work being done to the bar complex in front of it. I have read elsewhere that the PBG owner (Pete) is in the process of lease negotiations, so isn't certain PBG will re-open.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bazle said:

As I understand it, PBG is closed, and is affected by the work being done to the bar complex in front of it. I have read elsewhere that the PBG owner (Pete) is in the process of lease negotiations, so isn't certain PBG will re-open.

That would be a great place to locate yourself if it did open.

Hilton rooftop and others similar could see an increase in foot traffic?

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

That would be a great place to locate yourself if it did open.

Hilton rooftop and others similar could see an increase in foot traffic?

Quite possibly. From what I've read Hua Hin has been packed to the rafters with thais the past couple of weekends. As for pattaya, from what I've been reading, very few farangs in town. 

I am not surprised that pubs and bars are lower down in the pecking order of easing restrictions . But as has been said elsewhere, the authorities are probably aware that there will be few customers to fill them plus the obvious difficulty of social distancing.  How would that work in bars and Gogo's etc??

It maybe the case that C19 is around zero in Pattaya but......  and this is a big but,......let's say that if the 14 day quarantine is lifted for arrivals in Thailand and there are no checks on individuals arriving, then it would not take many visitors with or carrying the virus to quickly infect a place like Pattaya.  Look how quickly it spread elsewhere in a matter of weeks.  I would imaging that is more of a concern to the authorities.

It does seem.like madness to have so many current restrictions in an area which is more or less Covid free. But opening up bars and clubs before visitors can flow in freely does not make a great deal of sense either

I think that the biggest issue that will drive everything else is

TRAVEL

As well as immigration,it's also about the Aviation industry and how they can plan putting flights back on and how airports will operate whist there are still thousands of cases in many countries. We know that the Virus was spread mainly through Air Travel with passengers spreading the virus.

Whilst the number of infections are on the decrease in Europe, there are still many other countries at the height of infection. Russia, India, S.America and USA although decreasing.

We have to look at this globally and in terms of second/third waves of epidemic.

Many of us are just itching for a return to Pattaya in the hope that it will be something that resembles the old normality.

But until the numbers go down to almost zero, it surely would be madness to open football matches up to the public, resume flying as normal, pubs and clubs and a whole load of other things that would depend on social distancing which is not fullproof.

It's a waiting game that most us are growing tired of but neverthe less, the wait is still on and just because the virus might be very low in some places, it is not true of others. So mix in air travel too early and there could easily be a worldwide second wave and all that has been sacrificed over the last 3 months could have been in vane

I reckon that it could be a while before the bars open in many places

However, much still hangs on if and when either a vaccine is available and or forms of medication/treatment for more extreme reactions to the virus become available

This post could have gone in the Thailand Covid 19 thread but it also relates to the next series of openings in Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Three guys I know have just cleared a chrome pole establishment off of walking street of all their bottled beer. Apparently they wanted to clear all stock to be able to turn off the fridges. I think it was 208 bottles each, for a very reasonable price. This is on top of the three or 4 boxes each during the alcohol ban.

I guess that gogo isnt planning on opening anytime soon.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Painter said:

Three guys I know have just cleared a chrome pole establishment off of walking street of all their bottled beer. Apparently they wanted to clear all stock to be able to turn off the fridges. I think it was 208 bottles each, for a very reasonable price. This is on top of the three or 4 boxes each during the alcohol ban.

Ditto!

I received a picture from one of them this morning as a response from me showing him my wine delivery. :default_drinks:

8 hours ago, fforest said:

Well look at the bright side when the GoGos open the girls will be so hungry they just might be happy with 1000LT....................

I never paid more than 1000LT anyway (last time I paid an LT was around Songkran 2001😉 ), using the Dutch rule of ones.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:23 AM, Painter said:

20200612_085035.jpg20200612_085047.jpg20200612_084615.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that when the bars do open the restrictions will be so onerous that no one will want to sit their and drink on their own anyway with a mask on 2m from anyone else and obviously no girls. Cant imagine UK and USA nationals getting past immigration until late next year either for obvious reasons

21 minutes ago, RR007 said:

I think that when the bars do open the restrictions will be so onerous that no one will want to sit their and drink on their own anyway with a mask on 2m from anyone else and obviously no girls. Cant imagine UK and USA nationals getting past immigration until late next year either for obvious reasons

Any share tips in the mean time?