Painful Reading This

Glasseye

After 20 years of planning to relocate here and live at least 50% of the year I learn foreigners won't even be allowed on a bus. My affection for this country has diminished to about zero. Very difficult to believe and accept that this may be my last time here. I feel like I got dumped at the alter. Good luck Thailand, it's been nice knowing you.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1934032/thais-only-policy-is-racism-pure-and-simple

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Thailand is one of the most Racist countries in the world....so are its populace...you should have learned more in your 20 years and talked to a few TGs

Maybe we can meet for a beer before I depart and you can tell me all about it,

8 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Thailand is one of the most Racist countries in the world....so are its populace...you should have learned more in your 20 years and talked to a few TGs

Oh, the unintentional irony. Bwaaahaaa. 

25 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

After 20 years of planning to relocate here and live at least 50% of the year I learn foreigners won't even be allowed on a bus. My affection for this country has diminished to about zero. Very difficult to believe and accept that this may be my last time here. I feel like I got dumped at the alter. Good luck Thailand, it's been nice knowing you.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1934032/thais-only-policy-is-racism-pure-and-simple

Not worth sweating over the small things ...

if you really do object ..then vote with your feet , it's your money 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been viewing the "Thaiger" news channel as of late. Presented by an Australian guy. Not bad tbh. 

Yet looking in the comments section on YToube... More than a few farang are disgusted at not being allowed on buses. Is it just one bus company or more? 

Also in the comments section there  are views expressed by one or two Thais who state that if we don't like it go home!!!!! 

They won't even accept the hard work done by Tommy Dee stating that the people waiting hours in line for free food handouts are not Thai but from Myanmar, Cambodia and other neighbouring countries and thus don't deserve it. They even suggest people like Tommy should be asking for ID and providing for Thai folks before others. 

Awful way to view life IMHO. Are Thais overly racist? 

I'm beginning to think so mores the pity. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Trouble is Glasseye this pandemic seems to bring the worst out in people's thinking. Give it a bit of time and have a re-think. 

• Like 1

According to this article it seems that The Transport Co. have only enacted this rule. Other inter-provincial bus providers like Nakhonchai Air and Sombat Tour bus companies said that foreigners are welcome to board. Foreigners are also allowed to board long-distance trains. I think after a few months, The Transport Co. will revisit this and lift the silly decree. 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/06/11/bus-operator-confirms-ban-on-foreign-travelers-in-pandemic/   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Why would any foreigner with a decent amount of money want to go on a Thai bus anyway ...?

Exactly, all the long-term expats I know living here have their own wheels. Buses are for locals and tourists.

• Like 1

Glass, is riding the bus a large part of your experience when staying in Thailand for an extended period of time, or even on short holidays if wanting to travel to other parts of the country? I have no idea how many different bus companies there are in Thailand, but I can't believe that all of them would follow that policy toward farangs.

I'm just hoping that international passengers will be allowed to enter the country in due course and without any arduous restrictions or mandated protocols that would spoil one's holiday.

Keep the faith, Glass. I'm sure your presence and spending on the Thai economy will be greatly appreciated by those business owners and shop keepers you choose to do business with.

No matter what mode of transport you take to get there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Why would any foreigner with a decent amount of money want to go on a Thai bus anyway ...?

I dunno I have been on long haul Nakonchai air executive coaches several times and they were the dogs bollacks overnight

Edited by RR007
  • Haha 1

Come to think of it I haven't rode a bus in Thailand in a very long time. If I need to go upcountry, Hua Hin or BKK, I have enough Thai connects to hire one of them out to drive me where I need to go. If too far, by car, most anywhere is just a plane ride away. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, RR007 said:

I dunno I have been on long haul Nakonchai air executive coaches several times and they were the dogs bollacks overnight

Yes I’ve done BKK - CM a few times, some of us just don’t like flying all the time if we don’t have to. It’s 9 hours, yes I know flying is faster, but the better coaches are a comfy ride. I don’t think it means you are an impoverished farang if you choose the bus

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lifestyle choice. I have the money, but I need a car so infrequently it makes more sense to hire one for short distances and for longer distances I'll fly or take a bus if no airport is near my destination. I've also found the private bus companies have a fairly good VIP product, so the ride is quite comfortable.

Note also it's not the private companies that are being assholes about not allowing foreigners, it's only govt owned buses. Hardly surprising given some of the govt officials have been quite vocal about their anti-foreigner feelings.

One bus company during a pandemic enacts a plan to protect Thais, not really worrying me here.

When they herd them into stalags with just a bowl of rice for food then I might worry.

Once this pandemic is over things will return to 'a normal' and life as we once knew it before will dribble in for all.

Times have been tough and it has been a difficult period for many of us but a decision to not live in a country based on one bus company's decision (temporary no doubt) seems a bit jumpy. 

I lived in Thailand for 15 years and I saw many things that did make my jaw drop but what a great place to experience and live if you embrace what is really on offer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Used the Pattaya Nua to Ekamai and return a few times. 

No issues at all, and about a 10th of the price of a taxi. 

Regards

Bones of my arse. 

I've used that bus umpteen times. It's very regular, comfortable and doesn't take long.

Some people make a mistake and get into a minivan, they stop at every hole on the road there and can take 3hrs.

The one problem getting off at Pattaya Nua is that the Baht Bus mafia try and pull a fast one. But experienced visitors won't have a problem. 

• Like 1