Jump to content
Horizondave

Somtam Ankit (Somtam English)

Recommended Posts

Porn asked me to buy swede yesterday which I duly did. On inquiring as to what she intended to do with it, as this not normally what a Thai buys, she told me she was going to make somtam

It transpires that some Thais have replaced the expensive papaya with the humble swede. Now this sounded odd at first but I grew to like the idea and once put together it was very tasty, Porn loved it.

I have named the dish Somtam Ankit as I couldn't see this anywhere else. You have your Somtam Isaan (Lao) and your Somtam Thai (the version that many foreigners prefer) but there is now Somtam Ankit.

I paid 50 pence for the swede yet a papaya can set you back many pounds.

If in the UK get your lady to try this version (if she hasn't already), I am sure she will enjoy it and save a few pounds at the same time.

You heard it first here, Somtam Ankit....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Porn asked me to buy swede yesterday which I duly did. On inquiring as to what she intended to do with it, as this not normally what a Thai buys, she told me she was going to make somtam

It transpires that some Thais have replaced the expensive papaya with the humble swede. Now this sounded odd at first but I grew to like the idea and once put together it was very tasty, Porn loved it.

I have named the dish Somtam Ankit as I couldn't see this anywhere else. You have your Somtam Isaan (Lao) and your Somtam Thai (the version that many foreigners prefer) but there is now Somtam Ankit.

I paid 50 pence for the swede yet a papaya can set you back many pounds.

If in the UK get your lady to try this version (if she hasn't already), I am sure she will enjoy it and save a few pounds at the same time.

You heard it first here, Somtam Ankit....lol

Nice one. Now see the price of Swedes increase  due to this 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Nice one. Now see the price of Swedes increase  due to this 🤣🤣

Got to try it, it is good and 'cheap'

I told Porn that we had had swede before when doing haggis, neeps and tatties

Edited by Horizondave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is quite well known amongst the UK based Thais. My wife has been using suedes and cucumbers for years for Somtam. Never bad to pass on ideas though so thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-J610F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swede used extensively in the UK by Thais to make Somtam. When a former GF stayed she was put on to this by some Thai ladies in the market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a new one on me. I will get my GF to try it out and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, john1000 said:

Swede used extensively in the UK by Thais to make Somtam. When a former GF stayed she was put on to this by some Thai ladies in the market. 

Then I will claim that I have named it Somtam Ankit, obviously all the Thais are too busy cooking to name it or too embarrassed to say they can't afford papaya ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My missus has made it out of various things, found these to be the most nice. 

Have to mention to her about swede, or turnip as we call them.

IMG-20200408-WA0001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Krapow said:

My missus has made it out of various things, found these to be the most nice. 

Have to mention to her about swede, or turnip as we call them.

IMG-20200408-WA0001.jpg

Swede is a much better option (although I know you guys call it a turnip) and for me has a sweeter taste than it's whiter counterpart, more like Papaya when mixing. 

Edited by Horizondave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Was wondering what Swede was, turnip.

I have always wondered what the obsessive fascination is with SomTom by Thai (mainly Isarn) woman.  "The War Department" Ms Eden eats it almost everyday. Green Papayas are plentiful in the Northwest Pacific Coast.  She uses whole Tilapia Fish internals not removed, rendered down to a stinky brown semi-liquid sludge on the stove for hours. I now make her cook her fish outside on the burner of the BBQ, because of the rancid smell. She spices it down with chili peppers to a barely tolerable heat level on the Thai heat scale. 

Then this Pattaya experience put everything in place (flashback). Took a couple of Peppermint Girls from the corner nude bar. I was doing the nasty to one of the girls, when all of sudden, explosive diarrhea shot out on my balls and legs; the stink too. All over the sheets. She blamed it on the SomTom she had eaten earlier.  

I truly believe they eat SomTom as a way to control their weight. Sort of a eating bulimic way of purging. Rendered whole fish guts, eyes and shit is sure fire way to get diarrhea. That's my theory.  

 

 

Edited by CalEden
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CalEden said:

Was wondering what Swede was, turnip.

I have always wondered what the obsessive fascination is with SomTom by Thai (mainly Isarn) woman.  "The War Department" Ms Eden eats it almost everyday. Green Papayas are plentiful in the Northwest Pacific Coast.  She uses whole Tilapia Fish internals not removed, rendered down to a stinky brown semi-liquid sludge on the stove for hours. I now make her cook her fish outside on the burner of the BBQ, because of the rancid smell. She spices it down with chili peppers to a barely tolerable heat level on the Thai heat scale. 

Then this Pattaya experience put everything in place (flashback). Took a couple of Peppermint Girls from the corner nude bar. I was doing the nasty to one of the girls, when all of sudden, explosive diarrhea shot out on my balls and legs; the stink too. All over the sheets. She blamed it on the SomTom she had eaten earlier.  

I truly believe they eat SomTom as a way to control their weight. Sort of a eating bulimic way of purging. Rendered whole fish guts, eyes and shit is sure fire way to get diarrhea. That's my theory.  

 

 

Did it ruin the mood or did you at least finish the job in true Pattaya style?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...