Have you taken the plunge yet and booked a flight?

monkey_omelette

I’ve been consistently saying I’m not going anywhere this year. Getting sick to death of this working from home shit, thinking of asking if they will allow me to work from home abroad, could then hole up somewhere in Thailand and work 3-11pm Thai time. Would probably use the daytime more constructively than my current slobbing out on the sofa and boozing each evening 😒

• Like 2

It’s just changing so quickly at the moment.... I think if I HAD  to book a ticket, it would be for early next year..... but know I’m thinking it will be back to new normal much sooner..... possibly even September 

Not a sniff only just got back July flight money..

May think about Xmas and stat for 6 weeks nearer the time ..

I've no interest whatsoever though going to a place with too many new rules and half open if I do go it's got to be back to some kind of normal (which i'm not so sure this year at least)

3 minutes ago, roomark said:

Not a sniff only just got back July flight money..

May think about Xmas and stat for 6 weeks nearer the time ..

I've no interest whatsoever though going to a place with too many new rules and half open if I do go it's got to be back to some kind of normal (which i'm not so sure this year at least)

Exactly. Nothing will be remotely back to normal until 2022 at the earliest if even then. Reading elsewhere that Swissport Ground handling agents announced yesterday redundancies and expected not back to normal till 2024 (not a typo) yet people are thinking they're coming back to as before. Years away simple as

Edited by RR007
  • Thumbs Up 1

Toying with the idea of booking 2 weeks late August/start of September as package holiday to either Southern Spain or Turkey. Announcement on air bridges imminent, Monday latest. 

Have been emailing hotels to see what's open and what's not. Hotel pools, playparks etc all open, buffet open though served to you. Kid's Club only thing not open, though outside activities are on.

Has to be enjoyable for all of us,  especially with a 4 year old, not too much restrictions, but obviously safe. 

Would prefer Turkey, though flight is an extra 2 hours masked up!

My daughter asked me yesterday can we not go to the pool, meaning a hotel on holiday. 

Could really, really do with a holiday, but think gonna hold off until people actually go and i can read the 'live' reports, see if it would be worth it or not. so 

As for Thailand, possibly 3 weeks in January, or if not, July next year. Credit vouchers from hotels, so just flights to pay. 

When the thai government change the quarantine requirements I'll start looking, but I can fully understand why they are reluctant to do so. Even then I might err on the side of caution and not go.

If the bars and gogos are still closed I can cope with that. But I'll be going fof 3-5 months, not 2 weeks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Booked to go solo to Berlin 3-5 July, can cancel no problem if things change.

Thailand, not even thinking about it till next year, plenty of other places to go where I would feel more comfortable with a family..

What’s the extra worry with a family there? Surely Thailand seems to have got off lighter than many countries and your family are on the lower risk end of things no? 🧐

2 hours ago, Sangsom said:

What’s the extra worry with a family there? Surely Thailand seems to have got off lighter than many countries and your family are on the lower risk end of things no? 🧐

And if they change all the overdone restrictions it might be worth a visit but there are plenty of decent destinations for a family to go to in Europe within the next few weeks and months, Thailand isn't letting in tourists at all and I doubt they will be welcomed much before September or later.

I appreciate this is a Thai forum but for families there are plenty of other countries to visit well before I set foot in Thailand.

I Fancy a trip to Greece or Turkey.

• Like 2

I usually book in June or July for a November flight but I'm certainly not going to this year - if things straighten out enough by September or October I may look at December or January but the odds are that I will go somewhere else this winter for a while if I am able to...

• Like 1

Last I looked I could get back home on Emirates from August (on a ticket available to be re-scheduled) but also got options to book on Qatar from July, however I don't intend to book until flights are actually flying as potential start dates have changed so much over the last few weeks/months. More significant though is when will Thailand re-open the borders for visitors, as I don't intend to be stuck in the UK/Europe for months.

I also want to travel a bit around here, but think Lao, Vietnam etc might initially only open to visitors from limited countries.  Would me being in Thailand for > 3 months get me on the approved list?

23 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Booked to go solo to Berlin 3-5 July, can cancel no problem if things change.

Thailand, not even thinking about it till next year, plenty of other places to go where I would feel more comfortable with a family..

Dave, you are aware that on the 4th July its the German Cup Final in Berlin!

Far to many hoops to jump through at the moment,especially that quarantine crap in some expensive hotel !!,not even looked at flights,there is a fb page called expats who cant return to thailand ,,jeez 1000s on that one some sorry storys i feel for them with familys who cant get back in ect ect..,,if vietnam opens up without all the ridiculous rules ill head over soon as,room in hua hin is being kept open at the reduced rate of 1500bht a month,for the moment im furloughed and enjoying the scottish mountains torridon mainly what a place !

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 21.03.06.png

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

No I wasn't but I presume there won't be anybody attending the game but may be watching on screens. They don't allow fans in do they?

There wont be any fans at the stadium, but I would expect some kind of fan presence in Berlin though!

• Thumbs Up 1