Strange days, odd chance and co incidence.

Butch

Life is full of oddities. Seeing people you think are a double of your friend from years ago, chatting to people who you are connected to much closer than you realise, odd stuff which happens because it just happens.

I've had a few oddities, one such strange one was I once purchased a novelty T shirt, on the front it said "Prisoner number 59108". 59108 was the first phone number I can recall us having when I was about 5 years old and we were moved into our first house. My mum made me memorise our address and phone number in case we ever got lost.

Another one was when I was chatting to a guy in a Bar in Pattaya about stuff, making friends as you do,   he described a funeral he had gone to, it turns out the funeral was for a friend of my Dad, and he and my Dad had ended up chatting at the wake and having a few beers together. This was 40 years after the event .

Lastly, back in 1980-83 I had a really good mate at school who was from Mexico, we were best mates all those years, but he left and we lost touch. Fast forward to 1994 and I'm stood at a Nacho stall in Disneyland Florida, get a tap on the shoulder, turn around and there's my mate, Roberto, still a big lump, looks exactly the same and greets me with a huge hug. An emotional and awesome reunion, I still keep in touch with him to this day, and he works as a Sports presenter on Mexican TV lol! (plus his sister is hot).

Some people say there's no such thing as coincidence. I'm not so sure myself.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted on here that one of my closest friends died recently of Covid19 after weeks on a ventilator. Really really sad. Asked to do a small tribute speech last Saturday in a quiet wake.

He died the same age as my own dad quite young and was born the same day as my mother. Knew him for nearly 30 years and never knew either fact. Life and coincidences eh !!

I'm a few hours older than  Pretty Bitch Larry too but that is totally useless information......... so ....... 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I was on Wikipedia and found out a recently retired NBA player was born on the same date as me. But seeing as he was 6’11 and black, little chance of getting us confused for each other

I take it you're a puny 6'10 then lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's really weird, but every month they announce the winner of the million quid premium bond prize and it's never me. Coincidence, fate, destiny, call it what you will, but agent million never comes a-knockin' at my door, it's like being in an episode of The Twilight Zone or something.....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, tko said:

When I was a kid after a move our new phone number was the same as my birthday in DDMYYYY format.

That happened to my uncle as well (2-2-41, short telephone numbers back then in that part of the country).

17 hours ago, Butch said:

I take it you're a puny 6'10 then lol.

The more important difference is him being melanin deficient (which is something completely different from melanin challenged).

• Haha 1

Yes I got a good one, but first a bit of a preamble. Way back in early 1981 the company I worked for employed a new temp secretary from an employment agency. A young 17 yo busty redhead called Angie. Angie did bit parts in adverts and other stuff for Yorkshire TV and was a bit of a looker. Anyway come Friday night the boss askes "does anybody live near the top of Roundhay Road" I said I do, even though I lived in Woodhouse as I figured he wanted someone to give Angie a lift home. I was right and at 5 o'clock off we set. On the way I got her number and a couple of weeks later I gave her a ring and she agreed to a dinner date and a John Cooper Clarke concert. Long story short I took her virginity on the day Charles and Diana got married.

Before we met she had planned a holiday to Jamaica with a Jamaican friend. She did that and met up with a rich New Zealander and went back to New Zealand with him to build a boat. We exchanged a letter or two then she came back to Leeds to round up the things she needed for a life in NZ. By then I had decided to emigrate to Australia, to an obscure little village in Northern NSW. It was a couple of years later, sitting on the front doorstep of the only pub in this village, when Angie and this dude walked past. She was surprised to say the least, even though she knew I was here. We exchanged a hug, much to the dudes displeasure, then off they walked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As a young married couple in England we bought our first house in Faversham in Kent simply because at the time of our marriage we could not afford a house in London although we both still commuted by train back to London to work in the City.

Our "car" was a complete joke being an ancient Morris Minor estate ( van with added windows really) so old it had a split ( two part) windscreen. It cost me 50 UK beer vouchers and had been hand painted with the top half cream coloured and the bottom half blue. For some reason It also had a spot light fixed to the roof which had a handle so you could move it around.

The last time I drove it was literally after the wedding reception in Finchley when we drove in it down to our new house in Faversham stopping every 15 minutes or so to "tap" the petrol pump to get it ticking again. On reaching our house it was parked on the "driveway" where it remained unused until it was towed to the breakers yard about 6 months later. 🤣

Anyway, as we eventually reached Faversham we drove into the Town when coming towards us I was amazed to see another Morris Minor Van, split windscreen, hand painted in exactly the same colours complete with a spot light on the roof and windows in the back. We two (drivers) were both so surprised we stopped opposite one another laughing our heads off until forced by honking traffic to go our respective ways.

We lived in Faversham for two years and then moved back to North London. I never saw the other vehicle again or another remotely the same .

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, KhunDon said:

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/WebRoot/BT3/Shops/BT4645/51E5/1231/BABC/D7E7/2D8A/0A0C/05E7/DEE9/morrisminorvan.JPG

Wasn't this one was it @Jambo  😄

No, more like this one with a hand painted top half cream, the bottom hand repainted blue  and a spot light above the drivers window. 🤣

But, mine had a split windscreen much sought after by collectors apparently.

M M.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1