Buying a new PC and transferring all my info/data over.

Pumpuynarak

My all in one Acer PC is getting on for 8 years old and i'm thinking of getting a new one, my old one is starting to really slow up and do strange things and i can quite see the day when nothing happens on fire up. Now i really like the all in one PC's with wifi mouse and keyboard and have been really happy with the Acer and i see on Lazada i can get an Acer AIO C24 PC for 25K, would this PC and its specs be a good buy ?

Now my problems really start when i want to transfer everything over to my new PC, now i've researched google so i have some ideas as to what to do but is there any concrete advice you can give me ?

Thanks guys in anticipation. 

Acer AIO 1.PNG

Acer AIO.PNG

Edited by Pumpuynarak

Buy a USB-SATA cable, take your hard drive out of your old computer and connect it to your new one with said lead and just drag your files over. Really as easy as it sounds.

ScreenHunter_457 Jun. 29 14.29.jpg

Edited by bexwell
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bexwell said:

Buy a USB-SATA cable, take your hard drive out of your old computer and connect it to your new one with said lead and just drag your files over. Really as easy as it sounds.

ScreenHunter_457 Jun. 29 14.29.jpg

Works for documents and other files like that, won't work for (most) programs, settings and the like. With Firefox (or derived browsers) and Thunderbird you can quite easily transfer the settings as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now as a confirmed com dino bear with me, would buying a good backup HD be the best idea as i would have all my info saved forever as well as transferring to my new PC ? 

Not forever (magnetic "evaporation"), but long enough for all practical purposes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

Well i don't think i'm far away from buying a new PC as my current PC is constantly freezing up and i have to turn off at the mains and turn back on again to unfreeze it. When it freezes this is what i get..........

Any ideas guys or do i just buy a new one, it is over 8 years old ? TIA

20200816_113253.jpg

28 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i don't think i'm far away from buying a new PC as my current PC is constantly freezing up and i have to turn off at the mains and turn back on again to unfreeze it. When it freezes this is what i get..........

Any ideas guys or do i just buy a new one, it is over 8 years old ? TIA

20200816_113253.jpg

Wow, it's been years since I've seen the blue screen of death.

It's amazing how much a computer can act like a dust magnet. Once enough dust collects on the electronic components and cooling ports it can cause the system to overheat and shut down. First thing I would recommend is remove the cover and give the inside and vent ports a good cleaning.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I had this same message on my PC running win 7 and called my son the IT guy he said first to remove and clean the memory chips and give it a try after i did that my PC never had the problem again.  Maybe will help you maybe not 

Thanks Larry, i too am using W7 so maybe thats the problem. When i find out how to clean the memory chips i'll give it a go lol

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

It's amazing how much a computer can act like a dust magnet. Once enough dust collects on the electronic components and cooling ports it can cause the system to overheat and shut down. First thing I would recommend is remove the cover and give the inside and vent ports a good cleaning.

Thanks FBWY, i've seen copious amounts of dust on the cooling ports, time to get the hoover out lol. 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:14 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks FBWY, i've seen copious amounts of dust on the cooling ports, time to get the hoover out lol. 

Take care with that, static electricity can kill some components, better to blow all out with a can of compressed air.

Edited by Freee!!
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Take care with that, static electricity can kill some components, better to blow all out with a can of commpressed air.

Or even just a compressor if you have one.

A timely reminder. Got the compressor out and gave the PC a blowjob. Now running about 5-7°C cooler.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A very timely post, my mate who is also a PC dino kept complaining that facebook was freezing on his laptop and it wouldn't restart properly. Just a quick look revealed all of the vents totally blocked to the cooling fan. A quick brush out sorted it. I have now raised his laptop off the shelf by placing two pieces of wood under the feet being careful not to obstruck the vents. This has given much better air circulation and the running temps are nice and low.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought a new acer a couple of months ago

I just dumped all the files, screenshot of apps to an external  hard drive, my Chrome passwords and favourites saved to Chrome account and transfered over when logging into Chrome which is my browser of choice.

Have not got around to resetting my old laptop to Factory yet. Not sure it's worth it as I was suffering from overheating probs and likely the fan needs replacing. 

I had to reinstall of the apps and programs onto my new PC. 

Guess I did it the long way round but only took about an hour.

My new lappy has a non physical hard drive, i7 pentium. 

Cannot believe how fast it boots up, almost instant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I just dumped all the files, screenshot of apps to an external  hard drive, my Chrome passwords and favourites saved to Chrome account and transfered over when logging into Chrome which is my browser of choice.

Have not got around to resetting my old laptop to Factory yet. Not sure it's worth it as I was suffering from overheating probs and likely the fan needs replacing. 

Did you give the airways a good clean?

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i had my trusted mate BM Miko round this morning and he's sorted out the problem, something to do with a driver, its now working very good with no freezing.

Thanks a mill Miko 😃

you're welcome mate....... 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

My laptop was suffering from overheating, probably due to the excessive heat and humidity here..

I bought a CoolerMaster Laptop Stand, it has 3 fans, which keeps the components cool..

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/computer-accessories/cooler-master/notepal-u3-plus-laptop-cooler-silver-r9-nbc-u3ps-gp-p020463/

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, miko said:

My laptop was suffering from overheating, probably due to the excessive heat and humidity here..

I bought a CoolerMaster Laptop Stand, it has 3 fans, which keeps the components cool..

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/computer-accessories/cooler-master/notepal-u3-plus-laptop-cooler-silver-r9-nbc-u3ps-gp-p020463/

Might give that a try and use it as a backup once I have got round to a fresh install 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Might give that a try and use it as a backup once I have got round to a fresh install 

got mine from JIB com in a shopping Mall..

there are plenty of cheaper ones, but the coolermaster has lasted 3 years so far..

• Thumbs Up 1