Brand Loyalty, which ones and why?

Butch

Many of us have one or more cars I would guess, and something which I noticed on our trip to the USA a couple of years ago is how American guys of my generation , or of the age group of 40 upwards seem to be very loyal to a specific brand.

In the UK I don't think our brand loyalty is as strong. I'm probably different in that I prefer Subaru for the reliability , good AWD system and being a strong, albeit poorly equipped car, my next car will be another Subaru, because it is a brand I trust. The wife has a Range Rover Evoque, not my choice and not something I enjoy driving. Prior to that we had a Mazda, again a reliable car mechanically but it rusted to death.

In the RP though, the wife won't entertain anything other than a Toyota, it's simply off the table. Her reasoning and logic is fairly sound, she says that a majority of the Taxis in Manila are Toyotas, so if they can handle the traffic, hardship and attrition on a daily basis, then they must be good, and Taxi drivers are not known for their frivolous purchases or generosity. All our cars out there have been Toyotas, and they do have a well deserved reputation I think.

I often wonder what car I'd have if I lived stateside, and what brand I'd fall into. As I had an old die cast Orange AAR Plymouth Barracuda s a kid, I'd probably be a Chrysler fan.

Apart from a Ford Fiesta when I first passed my test , I've had Mazdas over the last 30 years , current one is the CX3 , same colour as this , think they are great to drive and never had an issue with them 

CBD5ACBC-093C-44F1-B99A-19CB4581E7F6.jpeg

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Apart from a Ford Fiesta when I first passed my test , I've had Mazdas over the last 30 years , current one is the CX3 , same colour as this , think they are great to drive and never had an issue with them 

CBD5ACBC-093C-44F1-B99A-19CB4581E7F6.jpeg

We had a 2004 Mazda 6 1.8s we got it when it was 5 years old and it had 50k on it, last year it went to the scrappy with 160k on the clock and only ever having needed (apart from service items) a new front spring, it was still on its original clutch. The rear wheelarches and subframe were really badly rusted to the point of being a massive MOT fail. I later read that the wheelarches on the pre 07 Mazda 6's had the wrong liners in them, Mazda would repair for free if the car had all the anti perforation warranty inspections done, but mine hadn't.

I'd have another one tomorrow, but the Mrs wanted a change. I like the CX5, and I really like the CX3. Mazda make some great cars and their reliability is a strong point. If ever I do stop buying Subaru, Mazda will be my choice.

At the moment I have 3 Holden's usually have at least 1 Toyota Corolla but it got written off by a learner driver in a car park ,she t boned it in to two other cars. And a holden 07 combo was offered to me for about 25k bt ,use the Calais when we all go some where or if I really wand to give it the message I use the ls1 powered wb holden one tonner 

For commercial vehicles its always been Isuzu international and kw

14 hours ago, galenkia said:

Only ever owned Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes. 

Had about 10 over the years, though Kawasaki are my current favourite as their big bike engines are bullet proof. 

One ex g/f in England had an Kawasaki ER500 which I thought was a bag of shit, another ex had a Suzuki Bandit 600 which was nice and like riding in an armchair. I always had Honda's, last bike was an RRW Fireblade which was awesome, a mate bought a brand new R1 and we did a swap for a quick ride out, he preferred mine to his new R1 and same with me, Honda pissed all over it.

I did buy a Suzuki once but just couldn't take to it at all and I think I only kept it 3-4 months.

Oh and Honda Click 125i over here too, never a problem with it.

• Like 1

Have had the displeasure of repairing (Painting and putting back together),Every brand in North America.rom Ferrari’s to Minis.

I choose to drive a Toyota Tundra,and the wife drives a new Toyota Corolla.

There just isn’t any way in fucking hell,you could talk me into an F150,Sierra,RAM or any other pick up truck,including the Nissan Titan.

I had a Honda Ridgeline,which was fantastic but was not big enough to haul the boat.

For a small four door sedan,The Corolla is perfect for her.But a Mazda or Hyundai would be a close second.

The Thai built stuff that they get in Australia ,simply isn’t as good a quality either,but a Hilux would be ok,if I was in Australia.

Edited by Skalliwag

Of the scores of vehicles I have owned during my life, only two have been new and they were just small cars; I really don't believe in brand loyalty and even though I presently own four Ford trucks of various sizes, it doesn't mean I am a Ford fanatic - they just happened to be what was available when I was looking. I like to own cars that are fun to drive as well as being somewhat practical and that is why I currently own a couple of old BMW's  - I wouldn't buy one newer than 2002 or so because the newer ones are just too crammed full of electronic gadgets like every other vehicle  these days and I like to do as much work on my own cars as I can; the further I can stay away from the "stealerships' the happier I am. 

• Like 4

I was born into a family of Ford lovers and with the exception of a few Cadillacs I still carry on the tradition. So I was a Ford man where everybody else drove Chevrolets. I was also a Coors drinker when everyone else drank Budweiser.  I smoked Winston's where everybody else smoked Marlboros. I dated black girls when that kind of conduct just wasn't acceptable. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

My first three Company cars over a period of 6 years were all Morris Marina's.

Marina 2.jpg

Top Gear featured the Marina comparing it with the Allegro to decide which the worst car ever made!  The Morris Marina won the vote. 😀

On the plus side I was driving a car that cost me absolutely nothing. Apart from that it was without any shadow of a doubt the worst car I ever had the misfortune to drive. Apart from anything else it was dangerous as the brakes on all three were useless.

During four of the six years I owned my own Triumph Spitfire just so I didn't have to drive it at the weekends.

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, Jambo said:

Top Gear featured the Marina comparing it with the Allegro to decide which the worst car ever made!  The Morris Marina won the vote. 😀

Obviously, they forgot the Austin Maestro. Perhaps it is because the design was pretty good, it's just that they couldn't put it together properly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

Obviously, they forgot the Austin Maestro. Perhaps it is because the design was pretty good, it's just that they couldn't put it together properly.

Repaired shitloads of those and Metro's and Montegos back when I was a panel beater. We did mainly hire cars and these were a fleet mainstay. 

Absolute shite to work on, didn't fit together properly from the factory, so you had no chance of making it look nice. 

Remember the talking dashboard on them?. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Repaired shitloads of those and Metro's and Montegos back when I was a panel beater. We did mainly hire cars and these were a fleet mainstay. 

Absolute shite to work on, didn't fit together properly from the factory, so you had no chance of making it look nice. 

Remember the talking dashboard on them?. 😀

God awful cars, the only one that was half decent was the limited 500 or so Turbo models that were fairly rapid.

I saw also on the wiki page that they were still sold as late as 2000, as some came from Bulgaria after BL teamed up to produce them under the "Rodacar" brand. Whatever would possess someone to buy one of these steaming piles of automotive vomitus is way beyond me.

Almost as bad as the Allegro, but not quite. On par with the Alfa Arna I reckon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Volkswagen.

I have the 2016 Polo.

It's very reliable, nippy, good MPG and a great city car. I also have second hand 2010 Nissan Qashqai I use for going camping as it has more storage space than the Polo.

nissan-qashqai-2010-nissan-qashqai-1-6-petrol-violet_6969857854.jpg

polo-5.jpg

• Like 1