Brand Loyalty, which ones and why?

Butch

I have had a VW Passat diesel for 13 years nearly 200k on the clock now. Want a Mazda CX5 but cannot justify until my present car dies ( it wont) 

Concerned about possible future issues re buying a diesel which I want. Tax and charging for entering some cities in the UK. 

5 hours ago, john1000 said:

I have had a VW Passat diesel for 13 years nearly 200k on the clock now. Want a Mazda CX5 but cannot justify until my present car dies ( it wont) 

Concerned about possible future issues re buying a diesel which I want. Tax and charging for entering some cities in the UK. 

Don't understand the move away from diesel  size for size a diesel is about 30% more efficient and the modern hotter burning diesel and adding ad blue (urea) converting the exhaust gas's to nitrogen and oxygen they are more friendly than petrol

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

never really had any brand loyalty - i've always been a 3-4 year and change car to suit purpose and mood at the time. 

My favorite brand is Alfa Romeo - beautifully designed (and poorly engineered) cars - that sound amazing 🙂

I will stay loyal to any brand that has constantly given me reliability, good service and competitive pricing. Its not so much about loyalty but confidence in the products or service itself. 

I guess I am loyal to Korg and Fender, also Samsung. Never had a bad or disappointing product from them.  

Same with certain bars and restaurants. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:44 PM, Nightcrawler said:

I will stay loyal to any brand that has constantly given me reliability, good service and competitive pricing. Its not so much about loyalty but confidence in the products or service itself. 

I guess I am loyal to Korg and Fender, also Samsung. Never had a bad or disappointing product from them.  

Same with certain bars and restaurants. 

The problem is with a lot of brands, the planned obsolescence they have built in makes you ask yourself if it is worthwhile. One of the most disappointing brands I've ever used was JVC, for a supposed high end manufacturer they were an utter bag of shit, and the customer service was totally useless.

For stuff which I rely upon (PC, Phone, TV, laptop) like yourself I'll stick to a brand which has given consistently good reliability, even if the price point is slightly higher. My PC is a Dell, my phone a Samsung, laptop an HP and the TV a Toshiba.

When it comes to cars, these days they are lasting longer. 20 years ago a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra on 100k was considered to be heading towards the end of its life. Fast forward to 2021 and it's not unusual to see a Focus or a Vauxhall well over 100k and showing few signs of wear or even any reliability issues.

I'm thinking about getting myself a new car (new to me, not brand new) and although I'm very much impressed with how capable and good Subaru's are, I'm thinking it might be time to get something a bit more comfortable and dare I say it, sensible. The second hand car market in the UK has seen a trend of higher prices due to people buying instead of taking holidays this year, so with any luck there will also be a flood of low mileage (due to people working from home) 3 year old ex lease / pcp cars coming into the fold soon as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

The problem is with a lot of brands, the planned obsolescence they have built in makes you ask yourself if it is worthwhile. One of the most disappointing brands I've ever used was JVC, for a supposed high end manufacturer they were an utter bag of shit, and the customer service was totally useless.

For stuff which I rely upon (PC, Phone, TV, laptop) like yourself I'll stick to a brand which has given consistently good reliability, even if the price point is slightly higher. My PC is a Dell, my phone a Samsung, laptop an HP and the TV a Toshiba.

When it comes to cars, these days they are lasting longer. 20 years ago a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra on 100k was considered to be heading towards the end of its life. Fast forward to 2021 and it's not unusual to see a Focus or a Vauxhall well over 100k and showing few signs of wear or even any reliability issues.

I'm thinking about getting myself a new car (new to me, not brand new) and although I'm very much impressed with how capable and good Subaru's are, I'm thinking it might be time to get something a bit more comfortable and dare I say it, sensible. The second hand car market in the UK has seen a trend of higher prices due to people buying instead of taking holidays this year, so with any luck there will also be a flood of low mileage (due to people working from home) 3 year old ex lease / pcp cars coming into the fold soon as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, however my understanding is that JVC now manufacture either exclusively or certain models specifically for Currys/PC World.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:44 AM, Nightcrawler said:

I agree but not Samsung. They make great phones, but they insist you use Bixby and you cannot remove it.

My next phone is going to be a Pixel

10 hours ago, john luke said:

Correct me if I am wrong, however my understanding is that JVC now manufacture either exclusively or certain models specifically for Currys/PC World.

Not familiar with JVC, but in the US, a Chinese company bought  out Packard Bell a few years after they closed down, and used the good name to sell junk PC's

3 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Not familiar with JVC, but in the US, a Chinese company bought  out Packard Bell a few years after they closed down, and used the good name to sell junk PC's

As John says, the same thing I think happened with JVC. Currys are an electronic retailer here in the UK who sell their own brand equipment, some of which is half decent, but other items really very low end.

Brand loyalty .... West Ham United .... World Cup Winners 1966 and feck all since.

Cars VW or Fiat 

Phones Samsung ...but my greatest loyalty is to Apple ....... I was almost in Steve Jobs front room and helped Jonathan Ives design the first iMac.

OK I made that last bit up but you can dream sometimes and have a collection of old Macs worth shedloads.

• Haha 1

"Hoover"

Every vacuum cleaner I have ever owned was a "Hoover" even if it had Dyson on the box it came in.

"Sweetie"

Every Thai girl I ever b/fined was called "Sweetie" as who can be bothered to remember what was written on the side of the tin.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, Nightcrawler said:

I have always, where possible, remained loyal to the Durex brand and have generally avoided condoms produced by inferior manufacturers. The range of sizes and types are not matched by any other brand to my knowledge 😊

Odd, I thought your preferred brand was "bareback" as you once told me in boyztown. Can't say I've heard of them though.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

With cars I had 3 x 3 series BMW's culminating in an 8 month old 328i Sport Coupe of which the acceleration was only matched by it's depreciation.

In 2007 I switched to Mercs & my second one was bought in 2012 & is still with me.It's the longest I've ever owned a car & I love it to bits but the road tax is horrendous as it's a 5461cc V8 & I guess not too environmentally friendly.Every now & then I think about selling it but then drive it & think nah I ain't selling this.

As for bikes I've had my Harley since 2003 but not out of any loyalty to the brand,I love my bike but don't like about 90% of the crap they've made since.

Computers,phones etc we're Apple all the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

of an age were the consensus was on buying British ,

took me a lot years to break the habit,

there is one brand I have avoided for years so long can’t remember quite why ,

and  that’s Nestlé , haven’t as a kitkat in over 30 years 

Suzuki motorcycles, 50cc trail bike, 200cc twin which I used to pass my test, a 650 Katana with shaft drive and two GSXR1000 sports bikes. Have had the last one for 15 years and is still as reliable as when I bought it new. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, bob lt said:

Suzuki motorcycles, 50cc trail bike, 200cc twin which I used to pass my test, a 650 Katana with shaft drive and two GSXR1000 sports bikes. Have had the last one for 15 years and is still as reliable as when I bought it new. 

I've had Suzuki's, Kawasaki and a Yamaha (350LC) The Yam was the most unreliable of them all and certainly the most unpredictable. I got myself a 350YPVS when they came out, very light and great fun but the front end was dangerously unstable at speed, apparently a steering damper was essential to stop high speed tankslappers (which I installed).

Out of them all the Suzuki was the best, GSXR1100-K, obscene power and although quite hefty, was still good fun.

• Like 1

I just got rid of the Dodge Ram I had driven for 14 years and over 160,000 miles (about 230,000 km more or less I think) and had my eyes set on a Ford F-150, as its been the best selling model of vehicle in America for 40 years and what I learned to drive on when I was 15, but the new Dodge Ram just looks too damn good, and it has the feel, comfort and handling of a luxury car while on the highway. I absolutely love it!

20210512_143538_001_resized.jpg

20210512_143629_001_resized.jpg

20210512_143559_001_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Kathmandu said:

I gotta have this stuff... and I don't even no why. lol

download.jpg

Mayo is pretty simple to make, but I'm amazed how many brands screw it up! Don't get me started on that Kraft product they call Miracle Whip. ugh.

Do you put it on your burgers?

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:01 AM, Mrmango said:

I agree but not Samsung. They make great phones, but they insist you use Bixby and you cannot remove it.

My next phone is going to be a Pixel

I have had several Samsung phones over the years and have never used Bixby, in fact I have just had to google it to see what it does, if you are so inclined as to want to talk to your phone then Samsung also support google assistant (which is what you will have on your Pixel).

As for my own brand loyalty of the 5 cars I have owned 3 have been Fiats (one of them for 17 years), one Ford and my present Audi. Motorcycles have been (time wise) mainly Italian as well 1 Benelli and 2 Moto Guzzi (one for 28 years) with a Honda and a Suzuki in my early years and my recently acquired Triumph. 

Edited by fatfrank

On 7/7/2020 at 2:49 PM, monkey_omelette said:

I used to go for BMW's and had 3 in a row but now I've gone over to Mercs. My latest is this one.

cla.jpg

Never mind your car, your profile picture is stirring up my emotions !!!!!

My first car here was a Mitsu Lancer company car in 96 but every car I purchased since then have been Toyotas. 

- Toyota Tiger pickup in 97. A lovely car for hammering to Surin and back from Bangkok over long weekends and holidays. It was the 2 door version so that I could fit pigs in the back on local journeys.....

- I then bought a Vios which I drowned going around the Nackon Sawan by-pass when it was flooded. Water came in to about 3 inches deep in the footwell but the little beauty still got me to Pattaya! I then dried it out and traded it in for a ......

- 2.8 Vigo pick up. What a beauty that was too. Like shit off a shovel!!!

I now own shanks's pony. It is getting on a bit now and is a bit unreliable especially on longer trips down Soi Buakhao. The steering can get a bit wobbly when well oiled and has a problem starting after servicing... but it is all I can afford nowadays so no complaints! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I now own shanks's pony. It is getting on a bit now and is a bit unreliable especially on longer trips down Soi Buakhao. The steering can get a bit wobbly when well oiled and has a problem starting after servicing... but it is all I can afford nowadays so no complaints! 

Shanks pony is underrated methinks.