Renewing Retirement Extension

Jambo

I am doing the renewal of my Retirement Visa/Extension next week and after my fiasco a year ago I may well just use an Agent but it pains me to do so as just like last year as far as I am aware I have everything in place to do it myself. 

The thing which was the initial catalyst for last year's problems was the fact that the 800K timed deposit was in joint names with my wife as it had been for the previous 3 years without comment from Immigration. It has subsequently been in my name since September of last year so that is no longer a reason for declinature.

Is somebody able to confirm that Jomtien Immigration will accept the required letter from the bank dated the day before I throw myself at Immigration's mercy? One of the additional problems I encountered last year was them sending me to get an updated letter from the bank as mine was apparently out of time.

Am I also correct in believing that the amount you have to leave on deposit for the following two months is 400K. With bank interest down to 0.50% I am loath to renew a timed deposit.

48 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am doing the renewal of my Retirement Visa/Extension next week and after my fiasco a year ago I may well just use an Agent but it pains me to do so as just like last year as far as I am aware I have everything in place to do it myself. 

The thing which was the initial catalyst for last year's problems was the fact that the 800K timed deposit was in joint names with my wife as it had been for the previous 3 years without comment from Immigration. It has subsequently been in my name since September of last year so that is no longer a reason for declinature.

Is somebody able to confirm that Jomtien Immigration will accept the required letter from the bank dated the day before I throw myself at Immigration's mercy? One of the additional problems I encountered last year was them sending me to get an updated letter from the bank as mine was apparently out of time.

Am I also correct in believing that the amount you have to leave on deposit for the following two months is 400K. With bank interest down to 0.50% I am loath to renew a timed deposit.

The 800K must be on deposit two months prior and three months after your extension to stay renewal date. Outside that time frame is when you can allow the balance drop to 400K minimum.

As I use an agent, I don't have personal experience with when the bank letter must be dated. Friends that do it on their own get it the morning before heading to the immigration office.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, biggles said:

A friend is stuck in Oz, probably till october or later. His retirement extension is due in September. Anyone have any info on this, please? Is t likely he will have to start again. 

Easiest way to get round the problem is for him to go to an Agent. I may still do that myself using the derisory net interest I accumulated from my 800K bank deposit to fund about half their fee. Interest available on renewing the timed deposit is now 0.50%. 🥴

Edited by Jambo

I've been refused with a letter dated the day prior, so always go to the Bank first thing, then toddle off to Immigration.

On one occasion was refused because the account was deemed dormant ( I leave just over the required amount in the account all year round and don't touch it ). Had to go back to the bank, Deposit THB 100, update the bank-book, re-print the Statements and upgrade the letter.

Have NEVER managed to do a renewal without something being wrong ( or deemed to be wrong by the Immigration officials ). Always allow 2 consecutive days and am satisfied if I can jump through all the hoops on the first day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, biggles said:

A friend is stuck in Oz, probably till october or later. His retirement extension is due in September. Anyone have any info on this, please? Is t likely he will have to start again. 

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Easiest way to get round the problem is for him to go to an Agent. I may still do that myself using the derisory net interest I accumulated from my 800K bank deposit to fund about half their fee. Interest available on renewing the timed deposit is now 0.50%. 🥴

He'd have to get his passport to the agent, and I believe the agent will also need his bank passbook. Another sticking point, to pickup the extension I was required to go personally to the immigration office so they could take my picture before handing the passport back with extension to stay stamp.

For those trapped out of country, might be easiest to just let the visa expire then get a new non-O or non-OA when you can finally reenter Thailand. Benefit of getting the new non-O if you previously had the non-OA is the insurance requirement goes away.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

Hi Jambo,

My advice is use an Agent. The good ones can by-pass all sorts of crap you might encounter. Sure, it'll cost some baht, but the time and hassle it can save it's well worth it.

I believe I pm'd you the contact details of the Agent I used to get my retirement visa last October. They did brilliantly. All I had to do was go into the Bangkok Bank near the immigration office with one of the Agent's staff, then walking past all the queues at Immigration to an office, two minutes to take a pic and I was out of there.

If I recall I pm'd you my Agent's details . . . 

I'm still in UK with my retirement visa expiring end of October. Due to the travel restrictions it's looking unlikely it'll be possible to return before then. I've emailed them, they replied saying "no problem if you can't get back because of travel restrictions, we'll just get you a new one when you can return".

Good luck, whichever you decide to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess I've been fortunate.  I always go get the bank letter the day before.  I bring all the forms and copies printed and signed.  The most that ever happens is that they add something like an acknowledgement of the penalties for overstay for me to sign, and I'm generally in and out in under 30 minutes.

It helps that my medical emergency fund is well over 800K and is always there, untouched for years.  I do route my incoming spending money through that account so they can see activity on the account.

Edited by tko
This is at Maptaphut immigration.
  • Like 2

I do my own extension and have had no problem...but one thing the Immigration Office will not sway on..... the bank letter had to be issued on the day that you went to renew the extension. 

This has been the case ...... from my experience anyway....in the 3 Immigration Offices I have used....Bkk....Jomtien...Issan.

Hope all goes well Jambo.

cheers

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, tko said:

I guess I've been fortunate.  I always go get the bank letter the day before.  I bring all the forms and copies printed and signed.  The most that ever happens is that they add something like an acknowledgement of the penalties for overstay for me to sign, and I'm generally in and out in under 30 minutes.

It helps that my medical emergency fund is well over 800K and is always there, untouched for years.  I do route my incoming spending money through that account so they can see activity on the account.

In a few posts we highlight all that is wrong with our collective dealings with Immigration.

You have no problem with obtaining the letter the day before but Steve (The Proffesor) has been turned away and I asked the question in this topic because Larry mentioned the same to me only yesterday.

There is no consistency when dealing with Immigration.

We never really know when they are going to move the goal posts.

When turning me down last year (after moving the said goalposts) the guy said to me almost in passing "Why did you not use an Agent?"

I was speaking to another guy also this week who without prompting from me told me that when he also had a problem at last renewal he was also asked the same question by Immigration. There is no need for any further comment as to why now is there?

I will be waiting outside the bank to get the letter the same day. I really would be silly to take the chance on the day before.

Or maybe I will simply give my passport and bank book to the Agent several friends use and let them take all the hassle away. That and not raising my BP every time I go into Immigration is sounding more and more attractive. What really gets to me is that I do all I can every year to meet their requirements as I have done since 2006.

• Like 1

Bro .. just use an agent that can be trusted .. if you were in BKK .. I would set you up with a Law Firm that has taken care of these details for over the last 25 something years for me ...  it is painless ... and you never have to worry about anything .. it is all taken care of for you ... it is worth the cost to not be bothered with all of the bullshit .... and wasting over a day to hassle with immigration

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

In a few posts we highlight all that is wrong with our collective dealings with Immigration.

You have no problem with obtaining the letter the day before but Steve (The Proffesor) has been turned away and I asked the question in this topic because Larry mentioned the same to me only yesterday.

When turning me down last year (after moving the said goalposts) the guy said to me almost in passing "Why did you not use an Agent?"

I was speaking to another guy also this week who without prompting from me told me that when he also had a problem at last renewal he was also asked the same question by Immigration. There is no need for any further comment as to why now is there?

I will be waiting outside the bank to get the letter the same day. I really would be silly to take the chance on the day before.

Or maybe I will simply give my passport and bank book to the Agent several friends use and let them take all the hassle away. That and not raising my BP every time I go into Immigration is sounding more and more attractive. What really gets to me is that I do all I can every year to meet their requirements as I have done since 2006.

Like you I handled the extension to stay myself for nine years, but then used an agent for the first time last November. Reason being, as I could no longer use an income affidavit from the embassy I couldn't be arsed with jumping through all the hoops of two months before, bank letter day of, another trip to the bank and then immigration three months later to prove I still had the money. Much easier and a time saver to use an agent.

If you're looking for another agent recommendation, I used Maneerat on Soi P.O. While others have mentioned they had to go to the bank with the agent, I didn't. Just left my passport, bank passbook, and a handful of cash (12,500) with them and they handled everything. Two days later I was given the name of person to see at immigration, had my pic taken, collected my passport and was out of there in less than five minutes.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

I do all mine same day Jambo here in Korat, i'm at the bank first thing and then straight over to the IO where i have to say i don't get any problems, i think in the main here in Korat the IO are a pretty good bunch but having said that they did stitch my mate up last year, they just took advantage of an elderly farang who would'nt challenge them.

As for using an agent mate i would'nt unless i could'nt comply with the rules but thats me, each to their own.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I do all mine same day Jambo here in Korat, i'm at the bank first thing and then straight over to the IO where i have to say i don't get any problems, i think in the main here in Korat the IO are a pretty good bunch but having said that they did stitch my mate up last year, they just took advantage of an elderly farang who would'nt challenge them.

As for using an agent mate i would'nt unless i could'nt comply with the rules but thats me, each to their own.

Have to say Jomtien immigration, when I've had to deal with them, have been great too. Very organized and efficient. One reason I've never had any problems with them is I always try to come prepared with all the forms completed, and required photo copies in hand. On occasion I've missed copying a page or two from the passport, but a quick trip to the side office to get the copies added maybe 10 minutes to my my immigration visit.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

If you're looking for another agent recommendation, I used Maneerat on Soi P.O. While others have mentioned they had to go to the bank with the agent, I didn't. Just left my passport, bank passbook, and a handful of cash (12,500) with them and they handled everything. Two days later I was given the name of person to see at immigration, had my pic taken, collected my passport and was out of there in less than five minutes.

That's the Agent I use too.

There's a reason I had to go into Bangkok Bank. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't have to (like yourself), just having to go into the Immigration Office for 2 mins to have your picture taken.

This thread is in the general section, it may be safer if I gave the full explanation in the VIP section to minimise risk. But I have a feeling I explained it to Jambo in Le Pub . . . .

9 hours ago, roobob said:

I do my own extension and have had no problem...but one thing the Immigration Office will not sway on..... the bank letter had to be issued on the day that you went to renew the extension. 

This has been the case ...... from my experience anyway....in the 3 Immigration Offices I have used....Bkk....Jomtien...Issan.

Hope all goes well Jambo.

cheers

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

I think that's the issue.  Different offices with different rules.  I've done my extensions at Surin until Buriram got their own office, and now Rayong.  All three want the letter to be within 3 days of the visit to immigration.  That's helpful because the bank I use is in a mall and opens at 11:00, and there's always a crush of people at opening.  It can take an hour to get the letter, so half the day is gone already.

One thing they added when I started using the Buriram office was there had to be a transaction on the account the same date as the letter.  I don't know if Rayong requires that but to be safe I do a transfer from the account before I go to the bank for the letter.

• Like 2

I use my wifes friend, she has a very successful business downtown BKK and does LLC and all this other stuff in this phenemonal building they have.  4 girls work in that office and she does a great job. MBA girl too. 

I do not cheat, have the right finances etc. She also does my 90 day, I used to do it, but geting to Chang Wattana in traffic from Minburi became a hassle.

Plus....she likes me, so she comes over for dinner once a month 😁

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

The trip to Chang Wattana is certainly a pain in the arse for most people, but there is absolutely no need to go there for a 90-day report.

The on-line reporting system works just fine as long as your details are updated in the computer....if not, it's no problem to mail the required documents to immigration.

I totally agree as I am now a convert to the on-line report.

By pure coincidence mine was approved today and I just printed off the confirmation. My first 90 day on-line application took 5 attempts to get the submission to go through and I did have to imput all the full details similar to a paper submission. The difference is that once you have done it once the software retains all your details so you do not have to put them in again. Each question defaults to your previous answer. It maybe just good luck but the submission went through at the first attempt this time too. 😀

The whole process took no more than about 5 minutes and that included setting up my printer which I rarely use these days.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 years later...
34 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just completed my extension to stay. Was surprised how crowded Maneerat's office was this morning, but since I was only picking up my passport I was in and out in five minutes.

Yep, a month ago I no longer had to go to the side window, nor go inside but just had to stand by the sign over the door. It looks like requirements are getting back to pre-Jolk days!!

I clicked on your link and noticed that it is called MTTManeerat. Does the MTT refer to Music Travel Thai ? I used them online when I lived up North and I found them very efficient and reliable........'Twas an Englishman based up Siam Country Club...

EDIT = That was a stupid question wasn't it ..MTT stands for Maneerat Tour and Travel ....

Edited by Derek Dangleberries